Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #29

Not seeing your bays, this may be not be at all useful advice but is there any way you can open a small hole to this bay from another bay and use a small fan to get air in there from a warmer or heat-able bay? That 30 amp heater sounds like overkill and almost a little scary to me blasting out under the coach at night.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #30

So this afternoon after doing some serious crawling and panel removals I discovered something interesting. The smaller bay is open to the area where my power cord stores. I have stuffed rags in the cord hatches and holes and now the front bay is holding 50 against 19 outside temp. Yesterday at about this same temp it was holding only 32.

Seems this is another example of me taking my mh to an expert and swallowing everything he tells me. I still like and respect the guy at the shop that I took it to but I let him convince me I couldn't have water when it was below the low 20s and because of the configuration of my bays there was nothing he or I could do to make things better. That's what got me on the radical track.

This is the third or fourth time since buying the mh in 2010 I've been in similar situations. I would much prefer to work at what I'm an expert at and pay others to do things that they are expert at when I am not. But that system just doesn't seem to work anymore. Several weeks ago I bought a new gas pool heater and had to help the installer (using the supplied manual) figure out the jumper settings to make it work with my voltage.

I'm getting old(er), I don't see very well anymore, and things aren't put together in a straight-forward way like they used to be. That combined with my lack of patience works against me. But obviously if we're going to use the mh in the manner we originally intended I'm going to have to suck it up and do more myself.

2003 Country Coach Magna Haven #6190 Cat C-12
airduds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
HHIDan
Most, (if not all), Onan RV gensets output 2 separate, (180 degree out of phase), 120V legs/lines of power, (similar to the electricity from the power company), but not many RVs are wired to provide that available 240V power to anything.

However, (in most 50A RVs), it is possible to add 240V receptacles.... powered by:
1.) A 50A shore power receptacle, (when in a campground), and/or
2.) The genset, (when there is no shore power).

Mel
'96 Safari
This is my Genset:
Generator ONAN MobileGenSet 7.5HDKAJ11451
http://www.poweredgenerators.com/ona...als/a-1408.pdf
Definitely 120Volts at 60 amps, 1 phase output to both L1 and L2.
As far as I know it's a very common Genset for a lot of DP's.
HHIDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:13 AM   #32

Dan, is correct. The Onan's typically used have a single output that is split at the 2 pole breaker. I didn't realize the OP intended on using his generator to power the heater. The shore power at all CG I've ever seen are 120/240V. If they didn't some coaches would have a problem as some have 240V appliances.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by airduds View Post
What do I have to do to be able to power a portable heater that uses a 30 Amp NEMA 6-30 plug from a 50 amp pedestal? The heater is 208/240 volts so has to come off the 50 amp and not the 30. Is it even doable? My research says the 6-30 plug is 2-pole 3-wire grounding while the 14-50 receptacle is 3-pole 4-wire grounding.
As I understand it my coach has two 110V circuits when plugged into the 50A shore power not one 240V circuit. One side runs part of the coach and the other, the other side. A 220V heater probably will not work at all. Ya I know that my response is simplistic but when it comes to electricity that is "ME"
Old 02-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #34

[QUOTE=NukeRef;1912843]
One of those low wattage engine block heaters looks like it would be a good option. They are built to do exactly what you want.
[QUOTE]

NukeRef
How exactly would a low wattage engine block heater help the OP "power a portable heater that uses a 30 Amp NEMA 6-30 plug from a 50 amp pedestal"?

Wondering!

Mel
96 Safari
Old 02-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeRef View Post
One of those low wattage engine block heaters looks like it would be a good option. They are built to do exactly what you want.
NukeRef
How exactly would a low wattage engine block heater help the OP "power a portable heater that uses a 30 Amp NEMA 6-30 plug from a 50 amp pedestal"?

Wondering!

Mel
96 Safari
By replacing it ...
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use 60 watt bulb in wet bay (drop light) and refrigerator access (can light fixture), and a flood type lamp in water pump bay. A couple of spot lights would very likely do the job (doesn't hurt to have two where you have room so you have a backup in case one goes out) or use heat lamps if more jeat is needed. Easy to do, relatively cheap, and don't use much electric.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
You only need to keep the bays from freezing not tropical temperatures. The small 110 volt heater should be more than sufficient. In the old days even an incandescent bulb would be enough. I am concerned with placing a high capacity heater anywhere near rigid styrofoam. It may be good insulation but it is combustable and the fumes will kill you.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Geritol View Post
You only need to keep the bays from freezing not tropical temperatures. The small 110 volt heater should be more than sufficient. In the old days even an incandescent bulb would be enough. I am concerned with placing a high capacity heater anywhere near rigid styrofoam. It may be good insulation but it is combustable and the fumes will kill you.
I figured out the problem was one of my wet bays was open to my shorepower cord storage area which was open to atmosphere. I plugged the holes and now my problem bay is holding 56 at 0 as of this morning. Problem solved.
2003 Country Coach Magna Haven #6190 Cat C-12
airduds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #39

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I may make a suggestion.. In that smaller bay... You do not need all that big heater, I mean that thing will put the bay into MELT DOWN.

Try a 100 watt light bulb with a thermostat in the line.

Use something like this: Allied Precision Temperature Control Outlet at Blain's Farm & Fleet

or This (Cheaper) Thermo Cube

To feed a standard drop lamp type (Just shorten the cord on it) lamp, with a 100 watt lamp in the cage..

Or you can use something like this. Sharper Image World's Smallest Big Heater

instead of the lamp if you like.. Works great, i ahve one not purchased from Hi-Price Image but alas, the store I got it at no longer carries.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #40

How many times does the OP have to post here and say he figured out and solved the problem with the bay freezing before people quit trying to give more advice?

Tags
electrical