RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #1

Need encouragement to buy!

We are retired and have dreamed of traveling in a motorhome class A for years. We have researched and visited many dealers and Newmar is our favorite brand. We live in the northeast and have a long, horseshoe driveway. But- we do not have a garage large enough for a motorhome. The thought of our new motorhome sitting out in the sun, rain, snow, etc is the only reason we have not purchased yet! What do you all do?? Does everyone have a garage? Where do you store in the winter, if not on the road?

Maureen499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #2

During the cold snowy times enjoy your time in a warm climate instead of storing it.

Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #3

Not having a garage did not stop us. With good maintenance and UV protection, there is no reason that you cannot enjoy your baby with it sitting outside. You are going camping or glamping . . . outside, right? I would gently ask that you not buy something you are afraid to use. Garage or not, there will always be rocks and debris thrown up from the road, trees dropping branches, needles, and sap; trees jumping out to scratch and tear at your sides and roof; wind to "exercise" your awnings; dogs and DH's tracking in on the carpeting. Shall I go on?

If this is your dream, go for it. Who knows what tomorrow brings?

Best of luck and shower us with updates.
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #4

We too are retirees who had dreamed of owning a motorhome and being able to pick up whenever we felt like it and follow the good weather or just our itch to travel. Ken retired in December almost ten years ago now and by April we were the owners of a brand new 34 foot Coachmen Motorhome. We came home from the dealer after signing all the paperwork, looked at each other, grinned, and said What the heck have we done? After a couple of winters in the sun, we were hooked and upgraded to a 38 foot Allegro Red with more slides, diesel instead of gas. What a difference! Last year we made the leap to our 40foot Phaeton, which had always been my dream. Itís perfect for us in so many ways and still affordable enough that we have kept our PA home for the times we arenít traveling.
To answer your main question, we have a wooded lot, curvy driveway deadending at the garage. No way in heck to turn a motorhome around, didnít want to make a whole new driveway and tear out so any trees that it would ruin the look of the lot we love, so we decided on a back in parking area with water and 50 amp electric, external permanently mounted satellite dish, all but sewer. We can pull in the driveway and just back into our personal site. Sometimes we just camp out there or use it as a guesthouse.
We donít have it covered, but itís shady and just needs a rinse off before we take off in the Fall for warmer climes. Havenít encountered anything yet that wonít rinse or blow off the motorhome so my personal feeling is a cover-except maybe tire covers-would be more hassle than itís worth.

My advice would be to just jump in and donít scare yourselves off by overthinking all the what ifís.
labcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #5

We now own a 2017 Newmar Bay Star and we also do not have a garage for it. Since we too live in the northeast we bought a cover for it although there are reasonable storage facilities to rent but we like to keep it handy in case we want to take off to escape the snow. It sits in the driveway when we arenít enjoying exploring the US. Youíll love Newmar if you buy one. Happy camping.
58Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:01 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This is our 5th RV. The first 4 stayed in storage when we were not using them. Storage was a pain at times when you need to go check on it, or work on it. I moved to Texas and was determined I was going to keep my RV at home with me. I have a large enough lot and had a 24x50 building built with water and power to store when we are nt on the road. Yes, it will take me about 10 years to recover the money I spent on the building if I do not sell my house. However, when I sell, I will recover that money easily. My plans might have been totally different if I were not still working, so we are only out about 12-18 times a year on short weekend trips. Three years to go and I will be retiring and will have to see what my plans are then.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

An RV garage is certainly nice to have. We bought our 2002 Windsor in 2012 and it is parked on a concrete pad but not in a garage. It has full-body paint and still looks great! I would not want to leave a MH out in the weather without full-body paint for sure!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2017 Newmar Ventana LE and it is a very nice coach. I do not have a garage, but I put a cement pad beside the house with 50 amp service and I cover it in the winter months. I also have it set up where I can dump tanks into my sewer line. We live in central New York (heart of snow belt). Covering can be a pain, but keeping bird droppings, etc. off it is my preference. We have talked about putting up a car port, but for now we just cover it. I really like having the coach close by. Best of luck on your decision.
blackhawkscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We travel 3 months at a time two times a year. We do not have a home in the US so where we end out trips we find a indoor storage facility to store it in. This has worked great for the last two years.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #10

Welcome...

We are on motorhome #4. The first two were painted and had decal trim, then the last two had full body paint. As mentioned earlier, decals tend to fade and peel while full body paint is much more durable (and expensive). Our first full body paint Safari Trek eventually faded because I didn't keep up with waxing it. The last one is waxed more often and I use a cover during the winter. Having said all that, these things are to be used, and will eventually show wear with the best of care. Fortunately (or unfortunately) we don't have any homeowner restrictions where we live, so I keep our motorhome in the driveway next to our house. This, to me, is almost mandatory so we can clean, load, and maintain on our schedule. And, "Wear" is also related to enjoyment, so go for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen499 View Post
We are retired and have dreamed of traveling in a motorhome class A for years. We have researched and visited many dealers and Newmar is our favorite brand. We live in the northeast and have a long, horseshoe driveway. But- we do not have a garage large enough for a motorhome. The thought of our new motorhome sitting out in the sun, rain, snow, etc is the only reason we have not purchased yet! What do you all do?? Does everyone have a garage? Where do you store in the winter, if not on the road?
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:39 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't have covered storage and it didn't stop me from buying our class A, which is full body paint.
It would be nice to have it but I don't keep my MH at my home. I have seen the equivalent of carports built for RVs some are just roof structures, but they keep rain and snow off the roof and minimize the effects of sun. I've also seen metal frames that are covered with canvass tarps. Either would meet your needs.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:27 AM   #12

I store mine in a shed on the family cattle ranch about 20 miles from my house. Having said that I would strongly encourage you to start off with a used 8-10 year old high quality coach in good condition rather than jumping in and buying a new coach. The simple fact is that no matter how much planning and research you do, it is very hard to buy the right coach the first time around. So instead of loosing a ton of money on that first year or two of deprecation if you decide that specific coach is not right for you. Go out buy something that you think has 80-90% of the features you want and 100% of the features you need, use it for a year or two, then sell it if you want to, and buy the new coach of your new dreams then.

Within a few weeks of use I guarantee you will find yourself thinking "in my next coach I want" about things you had never considered before.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:48 AM   #13

Thank you all for the great words of wisdom! A lot to think about.
Maureen499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #14

Here's one more for you. In WI we have a 45' RV port (should have been 50') on our shaded lot 100' from our home. It has 50 amp, water and city sewer. It keeps it out of the rain and dripping sap from the overhanging trees. At our AZ home, it sits outside our home with full hookups, but no cover. I have it waxed once a year. It still looks new. We use it as our "Guest Cottage" at both homes when friends ot relatives come to visit. Ten years ago, the RV port cost $8000. A cheap price to protect a big investment.

Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote