Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2011, 05:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Ever try to get duct tape to stick to wet surfaces?
I'm struggling with the concept of a coach that can't be moved due to roof issues as well. Where there's a will, there's a way to move this coach. If you can't figure out how that might be done, maybe some pics of these large cracks may draw some ideas on how to proceed?

I can't believe you would take one dealership's opinion so seriously - unless that's the only one you want to accept/believe?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Arrow

To cover the cracks get eternabond tape. That will do the job no matter how big the cracks. I agree that you need another to look at it. 2 opinions hold more wei. ght.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #17

Careful what you document online......you may have to Zig or Zag with the INS Co....
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Without seeing it I can only specutlate, but...

If the roof panel cracked, with no outside force being applied (and it does happen, just ask a few Tiffin owners) then the part (roof) failed, and this is not covered by insurance, Progressive, State Farm, Allstate or any other. Insurance policies typically include a claus similar to: "the cause must be sudden and accidental". Typically, by the time you notice any water damage, it's been leaking for a long time, not meeting the 'sudden' standard. This claus is to prevent people from using insurance to make up for their lack of maintenance.

This is the type of thing my office would usually send me out on as I was the only one with RV experience and many shops would simply tell an inexperienced claim adjuster whatever they needed to hear to cover it under the policy. Believe me, most repair shops knew our policy as well or better than we did.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Ok, where are the heck are you located? We need to know so someone might have an idea as to where to take it.

Saying it can't be moved is bull. You can put duct tape on it and drive it anywhere.
I am in Orange County NY. The MH is at Campers Barn in Kingston NY. The insurance company wants to take it apart to prove what caused the issue. Campers Barn did the resealing and installed the vent covers last summer. Something cracked the roof it 2 places and the rain got in and buckled the roof. Water got in the sidewall.
Farview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Melmoses is right To cover the cracks get eternabond tape. I did this to my Airstream MoHo. Clean the surface around the crack with lac thinner then apply the eternabond tape as directed, and no more leaks...You can find it on ebay. I bought my Airstream for almost nothing because the owner could not stop the leaking roof. Cost me $300 and one days work hasn't leaked since.
desikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farview View Post
The insurer is Progressive - and I have full coverage
Good luck with progressive. They are notorious for taking your money and when its their turn to pay out they are full of excuses. Fiberglass roofs don't just crack sitting by themselves. Something had to cause the crack. Something fell on it; like a tree limb, water got under it and froze causing the crack, someone walked on the roof causing the crack (very unlikely as they are designed to have a person walk on it). Until you can determine the actual cause of the crack, I doubt Progressive will pay you anything. As said before, if the crack has been there for awhile and you are just seeing the results of water leakage, the insurance company is not going to pay.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Legal advice is needed. Also look for a "Public adjuster" in your area. A Public Adjuster works for YOU. (unlike a paid employee of the company usually called an insurance adjuster, they are paid to minimunize a claim) They are in the business of getting insured people claims verified and most important getting them PAID. They usually charge a per centage of the total claim. They usually reveiw your insurance, all the clauses in the policy. Then they look at the damaged property to asertain if it is in fact covered by the policy. If it is a covered by your policy they will find someone qualified to inspect and appraise your coach. Then they document everything and assist you with the claim. You may be headed to court and let the court decide. good Luck!
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Legal advice is needed. Also look for a "Public adjuster" in your area. A Public Adjuster works for YOU. (unlike a paid employee of the company usually called an insurance adjuster, they are paid to minimunize a claim) They are in the business of getting insured people claims verified and most important getting them PAID. They usually charge a per centage of the total claim. They usually reveiw your insurance, all the clauses in the policy. Then they look at the damaged property to asertain if it is in fact covered by the policy. If it is a covered by your policy they will find someone qualified to inspect and appraise your coach. Then they document everything and assist you with the claim. You may be headed to court and let the court decide. good Luck!
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Are the large cracks at the seams or are you saying the roof material itself has cracks?
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof