Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #1

Need expert help for MH roof disaster

. I am in a dispute with my insurance company, and the RV repair service company about the catastropic failure of the Fiber Glass roof on my MH. 2 weeks ago we discovered water and mold in the MH caused by 2 large cracks in the roof. The RV repair shop says they have no idea what happened and say it is totaled. The insurance company says it is due to leaks in seals and refuse to cover. The RV shop replaced all the caulking and seals last summer. I need an expert uninterested 3rd party to help determine cause and possible remedy. I will pay for consulting fees - I am in the Hudson Valley of NY - Thanks
Farview is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Need more info:Make,model , year, insurer, you get the idea if you are looking for info supply all your info. Good luck
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
...........Sounds like you need legal council. When it comes to HE SAID, SHE SAID, I would seek legal help and let them settle it. If the Dealer says it's totaled, what gives the Insurance company the right to deny except the $$$$$$$ aspect. JMHO.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
More info pls. Yr. Type, what shop worked on it ?
DRBARBER001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farview View Post
. I am in a dispute with my insurance company, and the RV repair service company about the catastropic failure of the Fiber Glass roof on my MH. 2 weeks ago we discovered water and mold in the MH caused by 2 large cracks in the roof. The RV repair shop says they have no idea what happened and say it is totaled. The insurance company says it is due to leaks in seals and refuse to cover. The RV shop replaced all the caulking and seals last summer. I need an expert uninterested 3rd party to help determine cause and possible remedy. I will pay for consulting fees - I am in the Hudson Valley of NY - Thanks
Have you considered taking it to another dealer - one that didn't do the work originally - and talk to them about the problem/what they think?

I wouldn't bring up any conflict with the insurance company or dealership that did the repair work right away. Would be more interested in getting a second opinion regarding the condition of the coach and potential for repair. But that's just me...
Old 06-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #6

I have a 2002 National Tradewinds - diesel 40' - 20k miles - we maintain it very carefully - inspect it and start it every 2 weeks. last week went to start it and found water, mold inside - roof had large cracks - water in driver sidewall -
Old 06-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #7

The insurer is Progressive - and I have full coverage
Old 06-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justimagination View Post
...........Sounds like you need legal council. When it comes to HE SAID, SHE SAID, I would seek legal help and let them settle it. If the Dealer says it's totaled, what gives the Insurance company the right to deny except the $$$$$$$ aspect. JMHO.
David G.
That will be what we need to do but I want an expert to help identify root cause - The RV shop says it cannot be repaired and it is totaled.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBARBER001 View Post
More info pls. Yr. Type, what shop worked on it ?
2002 National Tradewinds Diesel - Campers Barn - Kingston NY
Old 06-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Have you considered taking it to another dealer - one that didn't do the work originally - and talk to them about the problem/what they think?

I wouldn't bring up any conflict with the insurance company or dealership that did the repair work right away. Would be more interested in getting a second opinion regarding the condition of the coach and potential for repair. But that's just me...
It can't be moved at this time due to large cracks in the roof - due to weather (rain) I need to leave it where it is and need 3rd party to inspect and give opinion
Old 06-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by justimagination View Post
If the Dealer says it's totaled, what gives the Insurance company the right to deny except the $$$$$$$ aspect. JMHO.
David G.
Depends on what caused the leaks and damage. Similar to a water damaged floor in your house. If a pipe bursts suddenly and floods the house, insurance will most likely cover the repair. However, if a slow leak causes the damage over time and could have been prevented, probably not.

Sounds like in this case from Progressive's view there is a questionable cause for the damage.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Ok, where are the heck are you located? We need to know so someone might have an idea as to where to take it.

Saying it can't be moved is bull. You can put duct tape on it and drive it anywhere.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The insurer is Progressive
AHHHH....... Problem one!!

You will have to prove accidental damage. Something fell on it like a tree or roof, otherwise it's a leak and they (and most other ins. co's) don't cover that damage.

So, did something fall on it or did the roof break from a heavy ice/snow load? Even then, good luck, as they can still say you should have caught it sooner and tried to mitigate the damage (put a tarp over it or get it inside)
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Ok, where are the heck are you located? We need to know so someone might have an idea as to where to take it.

Saying it can't be moved is bull. You can put duct tape on it and drive it anywhere.
Ever try to get duct tape to stick to wet surfaces?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof