RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #1

Red face Need front windshield reseal advice!

So, after a trek north to Jersey (rough roads) our 2008 Winnebago now has a leak in the front top windshield. I have tried numerous repair facilities, diesel shops, windshield places. No one wants this job! Soooo now I need advise on trying to reseal the top portion myself! Any magic potions out there? I have to find a ladder tall enough first.. Ugh!

Blueseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #2

Gorilla Tape is great for a temporary fix.

It will keep the water out until you find a shop that wants to do the job.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #3

I have the same issue. I'm hoping an errant rock will take mine out so I can get mine replaced with my 100 dollar deductible.

However.....are you SURE it's your windshield and not any number of leakage spots such as marker/clearance lights or cap seam, or.....?

In my case, it's definitely my upper windshield rubber seal. I will be resealing it with a black windshield RTV ASAP. There's also a product by Permatex which "creeps" into crevices and seals/cures after a few hours. Here: https://www.permatex.com/products/ad...-glass-sealer/
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #4

I had a new windshield installed with a new rubber gasket - and it leaked a the top on the first rain. I peeled back the top of the gasket and ran a bead of RTV silicone (for windshields) along the top edge. That fixed the problem and it never leaked again (not so far anyways).
If you have the rubber gasket style, give it a try.
https://www.permatex.com/products/ad...-glass-sealer/
Old 08-01-2018, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueseeker View Post
So, after a trek north to Jersey (rough roads) our 2008 Winnebago now has a leak in the front top windshield. I have tried numerous repair facilities, diesel shops, windshield places. No one wants this job! Soooo now I need advise on trying to reseal the top portion myself! Any magic potions out there? I have to find a ladder tall enough first.. Ugh!
This is a widely known Winnebago issue. Most likely the steel frame behind the windshield has rusted. It's a design flaw. There is a gap between the glass and the frame where water will collect. Over time the frame, which is steel, will rust eventually compromising the seal. The only real fix is to remove the windshield, remove the rust and repair the frame and then re-install the windshield. Anything short of that will be temporary at best. I've owned two Winnebago's and a couple of my buddy's currently own them. We have all been through this. Do a search on Winnebago windshield leak. Not bagging on Winnebago. All rv's have there Achilles heal. This just happens to be one of Winnebago's. The post about Gorilla tape is right on. If you put a strip of tape over the upper seam of the rubber trim gasket where it meets the front cap parallel to the seam it will temporarily stop the issue until you can get it repaired properly. FYI the rubber gasket is just a trim piece. It does not seal the windshield to the coach. The windshield is glued to the metal subframe with RTV.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #6

OP, first off, do you know if your windshield is a glue in or a gasket? Big big difference. Gaskets are notorious for leaking and should only be sealed with URETHANE. Never use silicon.

If it is a gasket, there may be a locking strip in the middle of the gasket, that would be what you are looking for.

There used to be a product called "flo seal" that was thin and could be pumped into the channels of the gasket but I haven't seen it for many years.

If your windshield is a glue in (urethane) you may have a rust problem and it must be dealt with. If it is rust and you put urethane in it to seal it, you are only prolonging the life of the rust and it will grow into a bigger problem. The rust must be removed and taken to bare metal and a rust inhibitor/primer applied.

I've been in the auto glass industry for 15 years.
lockinload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockinload View Post
Gaskets are notorious for leaking and should only be sealed with URETHANE. Never use silicon.
What's wrong with silicone?
Thanks
Old 08-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #8

Wow, this is some great information to work with! many thanks to all your input, ladder first then a sealant..I like the rock idea!
Blueseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
What's wrong with silicone?
Thanks

It's just the wrong product for vehicles. It isn't designed for use on windshields and doesn't have the adhesion or bond strength of urethane. Plus, the next person that works on your windshield will hate you.
lockinload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockinload View Post
OP, first off, do you know if your windshield is a glue in or a gasket? Big big difference. Gaskets are notorious for leaking and should only be sealed with URETHANE. Never use silicon.

If it is a gasket, there may be a locking strip in the middle of the gasket, that would be what you are looking for.

There used to be a product called "flo seal" that was thin and could be pumped into the channels of the gasket but I haven't seen it for many years.

If your windshield is a glue in (urethane) you may have a rust problem and it must be dealt with. If it is rust and you put urethane in it to seal it, you are only prolonging the life of the rust and it will grow into a bigger problem. The rust must be removed and taken to bare metal and a rust inhibitor/primer applied.

I've been in the auto glass industry for 15 years.
Winnebagoís are glued in.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #11

There is a load of information on this topic on Winnieowners.com sister site to IVR2. I'd suggest educating yourself by reading up on the various options there.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:51 AM   #12

Quote:
I like the rock idea
LOL. I encourage children to play baseball around my rig. Parking it near a golf course may be my next option.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:00 AM   #13

I used butyl rubber tape. Sealed great for a temporary seal on my winnabago.

G jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, seal, windshield