Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Need generator advice

Hey all,
I have a 1996 Beaver Monterey in really excellent shape, new laminate floors etc. I am a full timer on a limited budget. Well my generator decided to kind of bite the dust....it is an onan 6.3 lp, I am sure the same age as the motorhome. I has about 300 hours on it, at least that is what the hour meter says....I know, by the way that that is a bad thing....Anyway, it runs fine but does not produce enough electricity, not like it did. All at once it stopped acting normally. I have taken it to a local, very knowledgable dealer who is telling me that the stater or armature is gone. They are recommending that I not fix it but replace it. They have quoted me 4600 for a new onan lp 5500 installed. I know that that is a reasonable price, I just don't want to sink that kind of money into this motor home which dealers tell me is worth about 15k retail. I have consults with a big onan a dealer who is telling me that I could be a couple of grand to fix....I would love everyone's thoughts. Thanks sooooo much for reading this.lee

Acephx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
I would check around to see if you can find an electrical repair shop. They can rebuild it much cheaper than a few grand. You might have to remove it yourself tho so if that isn't an option you may be stuck with the higher bill.
I just had my starter go out and a new one was about 450. I took it out and a local shop rebuilt the whole starter for 120. Worth a shot. Call around you might be surprised.

2000 Monaco Windsor Cummins 330
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am no generator expert but if this was mine I would consult with someone who does not have a vested interest in selling me a new generator. Locally we have a very good shop that repairs and rebuilds electric motors (they sell them as well of course). I would have them run some tests and tell me what is wrong. Bet it's something much less than replacement. Also you should check Craigslist and eBay. I picked up a good 6.5 Genny from a motorhome for $500 that I'm going to use as backup for stick house. There are some very knowledgeable people on this site so I'm sure you will get a wealth of info.
Good luck.
2002 Four Winds Infinity 37', 2 slides, F53 with V10, 22,500# chassis, CHF. 4 of us and a German sheperd.
hochmuth1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
What gives you the impression that the generator is not producing as much output as it used to? This could be a clue.
04 Southwind 37C W22

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
When it comes to Onan generators, always do yourself a favor and get at least a second opinion. Take it to someone that does generator repairs as their primary function.
Steve and Sheri with Archie (and Hiro, R.I.P.)
2000 Winnebago 35U, Ford F53/6.8l V10
F150 Ford and Vintage Aspencade.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote

advice, generator