Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #15

Well the bounder is 38 feet and the holiday rambler Neptune is 36 feet. I know the bounder has a tow rating of 10,000 lbs but the rambler only has a tow rating of 6,000 I think? Yet the salesman 'knows' it will tow 'just fine'...thank you for all of the help I am going to look at the bounder one more time tomorrow. Honestly I am not too worried about CAT not making OTR motors anymore, just about every other semi going down the road has a CAT sticker on it. I wish there was a test tow place???? Haha

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #16

You need to find out the CCC ratings on both of them. I suspect that both of those are too small to do the job you want. The RVCG sells inexpensively the information on specific capacities for individual motor homes. I had CD's with that information on them, but some of my friends that want to buy a motor home have borrowed the CD's

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
In my opinion neither coach has enough power to do a good job. Keep shopping for something in the 400 hp or better range. And yes I know torque is the real answer not horsepower.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #18

When I purchased my first motorhome almost 6 years ago, I took my Father's advice and I'm glad I listened to him!! Nothing under 400 HP!!! I'm still very happy with the performance.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Oh no. I talked to Fleetwood just yesterday and ordered a part and they never mentioned they were closing shop. I sure hope my part got shipped before they turned out the lights.

No worries...the UPS tracking number shows that it was picked up this afternoon.
Fleetwood is certainly not out or going out of business. The new owners (American Industrial Partners) have been getting good press on their operation of the business and have been active in Fleetwood rallys since taking ownership.

Monaco coaches are being produced by Navistar....I do not believe there is any reason to think that Navistar is going to close their investment in the Monaco coach products.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
28ft is a lot of trailer, it will catch a lot of wind. If the trailer weight is 9000lbs, that would leave 1000lbs for carring capacity. That's the max many MH's limit the towing at. 28ft added to a 40ft MH adds up to 68ft. Many States don't want you at that length. Even if the engine is strong enough you need to know if the chassis and brakes will handle the load. I suggest that when planing to tow, one should tow less of rated capacity than max, for safety. My preferance would always lean toward a Cummins. Yet one with a torque of 1000lbs would be prefered over one with 650.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
In my opinion you should look at something with at least an ISL400. They have alot of pulling power and the coach should have a 10,000 pound reciever installed. I pulled a 8000 pound trailer back from Montana for a friend with my 40 ' Diplomat and had plenty of power.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #22

I have an 2008 Monaco Cayman 37 PDQ with the 2007 ISB engine. It has 325 h.p. & 610 lbs. torque. The hitch is rated at 750 lbs. & 7500 lbs. total. This coach is identical to the Neptune so I am sure the ratings would be the same. Don't forget the Neptune has the RR4R suspension known for trailing arm failure & a rough ride. Both can be fixed for $$$.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #23

I never said the length has to be exactly legal...haha right now I have a Georgie Boy Landau 34 1/2 ft that has an 8.1 gas on a workhorse chassis and the name of the chassis describes what it does when it tows! It is time for an upgrade and was just wanting to get some feedback on something that would tow better and either one of these HAS to tow better. Thanks for all of your help and info! Does anyone know of any problems with either coach? Besides underpowered for the trailer??
Old 12-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #24

Womps - that is a big concern for me BUT the dealership said they can fix the trailing arm. However I had not heard of the rough ride! That is a big concern for me since the Georgie boy rides similar to log wagon! Haha
Old 12-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeman3035 View Post
SNIP
Does anyone know of any problems with either coach? Besides underpowered for the trailer??
As someone else stated the Neptune RR4R chassis has the trailing arm problem. There are parts available to fix this but it costs big bucks.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #26

The ride can be improved as well. Source Direct has a ride enhacement kit. Installed it on my Cayman. Huge improvement in ride & handling. Cost me $3,500. in Canada. Travel a lot with my brother who has the 8.1 with a Banks system in his 38' Mountain Aire. I can not keep up with him in the hills. He weighs 6,000 lbs less than me. He burns 20% more fuel and diesel cost 20% more than gas.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi

We have a 2007 Neptune 34SPD, which measures to almost 36ft, It has the engine and tranny that has been mentioned. We tow a Saturn VUE which comes in at just slighty over 4000 lbs. Since we live in CA we do drive some good size hills and mountain roads. Our unit makes it up OK but it does work on some of the steeper grades. There are times I did wish we had more engine.

The 2007 Neptune's hitch rating is at 7000 lbs.

I would also concur with the comments concerning the "trailing arms" issue which is on both NEPTUNE's and CAYMAN's. These units are identical as it concerns the chassis. I would not buy these units unless you are prepared to have the "trailing arms" replaced from either SOURCE ENGINEERING or MONACO / NAVISTAR. WE have had our NEPTUNE's arms replaced with the one's from SOURCE.

Good Luck with your decission.

Bill
bkphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is no sustitute for cubic inches or torque the bigger the better. When you are grinding your way up a hill you will be glad you got the bigger engine.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choice, decision, diesel