Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #1

Need help finding a driveshaft

My wife and I started out on vacation last Friday evening. We got about 60 miles or so when I lost my driveshaft. Of course that took out the air drier also.

I can have most everything needed from Freightliner by Tuesday morning. The 2 pieces I cant get are the yoke for the transmission, which he said to call Volvo or Mac as they use the same one.

The bigger problem is the driveshaft, it's not available anymore and I will have to have one custom made. I do have the male, rear end half but the other half could not be found.

So My question is who else makes RV chassis besides Freightliner thay may have a driveshaft?

I have a 2000 Damon Ultrasport with a 5.9 diesel pusher.

I live close to Colaw who advertises as the largest RV salvage yard. I checked with them yesterday. The problem is when they pull a transmission, they pull that half of the driveshaft with it. So there were none to be found.

Our vacation is ticking away. If I can find a driveshaft I can be back on the road Tuesday afternoon. The shop will start on it in the morning and remove the broken drier and damage lines. He believes 2 to 3 hours after parts arrive he can have me going.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #2

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Find a machine shop that does drive shafts. They will be able to make up whatever you need.
Happy Glamping.

2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

What caused the drive shaft to fail? This is not a common problem. Custom made is probably the only answer if it isnt a common.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Work with heavy equipment for years. We had driveshafts made locally, seldom bought OEM.

If you have the male portion they should be able to obtain a matching pair that would work. If you have the old driveshaft they should be able to get the measurements from it to make a new one. There is a chance that they can used the ends and just replace the tube if the ends aren't damaged. Make sure to put new U-joints in, this is what probably caused failure.

Also, you may try calling Visione Auto in KY, they have a huge inventory of parts but it won't be cheap and it will take days to ship.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #5

Not sure on failure, I greased it a couple of 100 miles ago but who knows how long it went before me.

It came loose at the transmission. The transmission has one of the strap bolts broken in it. I'm guessing the u joint broke but it could be the bolt broke. Hard to say with out that half.

I will be checking with a couple shops in the morning to see about turn around time.

There is also a RV salvage yard up close to Kansas City that is about 2 hours away, so I'll be checking with them also.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy- View Post
What caused the drive shaft to fail? This is not a common problem.
Has the coach ever been towed , drive shaft left loose by a tow truck driver?
Did a U joint break ?
Do you have a ride height issue that may have caused the failure?
You say 2 pieces ; you can't find ; but only mention the transmission yoke ?
Have you contacted Allison transmissions with your trans serial number ?

EDIT: I see JimJ was asking questions while I was typing , sorry for the duplication.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #7

I also want to thank Good Sam for the prompt service. We were in no where Kansas and it took about an hour to have the wrecker there. They couldn't find a shop open so it was towed to the tower's shop where it is secured inside a fence. Good Sam will cover towing it again in the morning to the repair shop.

I also want to thank Dave's towing in Independence KS for their service. Because of the problems that happened from the shaft getting beat to hell, it took a couple of hours to remove the rear end part of the shaft. They worked hard, never complained and are not charging storage while the RV sets in their lot. Dave seems to be a honest good guy.

I did ask him how well is Good Sam about paying the bill. It turns out that they pay by credit card, so he was payed up front.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #8
Rauc-A-Bye Farms

Spartan Chassis
Gary,
Call one of the truck shops on I44 near the state line, they can tell you where to have a new drive shaft made.

Don
2004 Pilot toad
4Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #9

I have the RV since December 2015. It has not been towed since then but who knows before.

I have nothing left of the transmission side of the driveshaft nor that u joint.

The yoke on the transmission may be ok once the broken bolt is removed but I'll let the mechanic tell that.

The yoke on the differential should be fine seeing it was still attached. It was just the bolt heads were bang up
Old 08-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #10

I guess the question now would be, how do I check ride height and how do I know what it should be?

I now see it pops up a lot but I have no idea if mine is correct or not.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #11

Freightliner can provide spec's for ride height, measurement locations and adjustment info.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #12
owr

Ride height

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Freightliner can provide spec's for ride height,measurement locations and adjustment info.
Procedure is measure from the ground ( preferable pavment) to the top and then the bottom of the rear axle housing mid point between differential and brakes in the area of the ride hieght adjuster take 1/2 that number ( if top is 6" and bottom is 4 " mid would be 5) and that is the measure point to the frame to acquire ride hieght number ...at least on Spartan chassis....

And yes frieghtliner will give you that number ... had to do mine a while back while experiencing a very rare but occasional shaft vibration... only happens when decelerating with engine brake on ... once it started it was like the shaft was out of round ... creeped a block to a truck stop fueled up and pulled away and it was gone ... never found out what it was ...shaft looked fine when I crawled under it...shop couldn't find any thing ... happened once to the former owner... I had a new shaft built and installed ..has happened one time since and still no explanation ... runs thousands of miles with no issue since ... anyway that is how you find the axle center to adjust ride
owr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #13

Try Driveshafts Unlimited in Arnold, MO
Old 08-21-2017, 06:00 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is a list of RV salvage places where you might be able to get the parts you need.

Henderson, Denver, Aurora, Colorado, Adventurer Eagle Cap, Northstar, Truck Camper, Dealer, Used, Service, Parts, Financing, Salvage, Accessories
RV Salvage Sources
glen-l.com/campus/supplies
visoneautomart.com
Northwest RV Supply
Air outlet grills and defrost grills
Northwest RV Supply Northwest RV Supply
Veurinks RV (Sue) 616-965-9619
http://colawrvsalvage.com
Bontrager's Surplus RV and Mobile Home Supplies
RV Misc
www.azrvinc.com
RV Surplus