Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks, Dave and Kara,
I will check it out!
best regards,
Papa Allan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks, pairajays,
We will certainly look it up!
best regards,
Papa Allan

Old 05-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Allan View Post
By the way, I just discovered iRV2 and greatly appreciate the help. Are there any other websites like this one which would help my wife and I select a motor home?
best regards, Papa Allan
I just bought my first RV last September and found iRV2 shortly there after, liked it and have been here ever since as I feel it has everything I need.

I have seen several other sites mentioned here but have never visited them as time really does not allow, I'm sure if no one directs you to them you will find them yourself shortly.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Allan
Thank you John and Cathy R,
Good advice, I will definitely drive a new Winnebago Vista 26p ASAP. It may well be that the ride is improved from the old days. And, perhaps I should try one of the longer units too.
By the way, I just discovered iRV2 and greatly appreciate the help. Are there any other websites like this one which would help my wife and I select a motor home?
best regards, Papa Allan
I frequent RV.net as well as irv2. It has good info as well. No iPhone/iPad app though
Old 05-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #19

Having looked and looked, I think if you want new new, then from Winnebago you have two class A choices which are the Vista and the Via. I personally think the VIA is $50k over priced for a small 25 ft class A. What ever you do, especially on Sprinter based units like the VIA take a close hard look at storage capacity in both volume and weight limits, and usability.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smaller one

Georgie Boy made a 25' gas job, quite a few years ago. (Maybe 2002 or so). We looked in one and it was made quite well. If my memory serves me well, there was no bed in the back, but the couch/coffee table area transformed into a bed. It was really just a short 30 footer with the same height and width.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #21

Smile

Winnebago (itasca) has the 26' 11" Sunstar. We are test driving a 26P tomorrow.

Paul
Old 05-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #22

I'd be interested in what you think

When I was first looking last year I test drove a brand new 26p. I had never owned an Rv before and thought it rode really rough. However, now that I have some experience with one I think maybe the tires were just over inflated. I'd be interested in your impressions of the 26p from your test drive.

Thanks,
Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:18 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We don't have the Vista 26 but we do have a Vista and are very happy with it. Fair warning, we have only had it about 6 weeks but so far so good.
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Like Cliff, we have a Vista, but not the 26, and love it. We were leaning toward the 26 and actually spent a lot of time in it. We checked how easy it was to get into and out of the bed, opened the various cabinets and storage, stood in the shower and sat on the closed potty, and just sat in it to see how we like the amount of space it had and the layout. We tried to do all the things I'd read as advice here in the forums.

It had a lot we liked, but we were worried about a few things. Minimal storage underneath, enough room for us and 4 cats, and placement of the TV. The last bothered my husband more than it did me because I rarely watch TV. But I had to consider the possibility of being rained-in and wanting to watch a movie. Neither of us really liked that front TV location.

Then I saw the floorplan for the 30 and the rest, as they say, is history. We felt it was still short enough at 30' 11" to fit into most State/National Park, COE, etc. campgrounds and we liked the extra storage, inside and out. With the optional buffet/dinette with the TV opposite the couch, we were sold. And that was before we actually were able to see one. We traveled 200 miles to be able to check-out one. It didn't have the optional TV configuration, but we liked the overall feel of those extra 4 feet. We also liked the fact that we could still access everything we needed with the slides in (how the one we saw was set up).

The best advice I can give you is to spend a good amount of time inside any unit you're seriously considering to get a feel for what it's like. We tried to imagine what it would be like cooking, eating, sleeping and just relaxing inside each of the RVs we gave more than a cursory look at. I think that paid off for us and is reflected in our satisfaction with the one we bought.

Hope you find what works for you have a great time traveling in it.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post
When I was first looking last year I test drove a brand new 26p. I had never owned an Rv before and thought it rode really rough. However, now that I have some experience with one I think maybe the tires were just over inflated. I'd be interested in your impressions of the 26p from your test drive.

Thanks,
Michelle
Hi Michelle,

We did not drive the Sunstar 26P. The motorhome is for my mother who thought 27 feet is to long. She is holding out for a 24 footer. We are scheduled to test driving a Navion on a Sprinter this Friday.

Paul
Old 06-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Hi Tom/wildtoad,
Yes we looked at both Winnebago Via and View. However, I read about very bad experiences with the diesel engine in several online comments. We drove the View and it was very "soft and bouncy" and the air conditioning at the dashboard was too weak. Also, it would be very difficult to get down to attach/detach the sewer line. Looks like you would have to kneel on the ground each time because the access door opens upwards. They are both very low to the ground and may have a clearance issue. And, little storage. But, great gas mileage!
We decided against both Via and View primarily because of the diesel engine question, but also because of usability issues. Too bad, they look great!
Thanks, Papa Allan
Old 06-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Thank you Florida Fran!
Good advice, I will take it to heart!
And thanks Cliff841. Have you had any major issues with your Vista?
And, Thanks Michelle, I will be sure to give you a report after we drive a 26p Vista.
best regards,
Papa Allan
Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Allan View Post
Thank you Florida Fran!
Good advice, I will take it to heart!
And thanks Cliff841. Have you had any major issues with your Vista?
And, Thanks Michelle, I will be sure to give you a report after we drive a 26p Vista.
best regards,
Papa Allan
No major issue Papa Allan. We had a few minor problems that were dealt with on warranty. It does wander more than I would like but it doesn't seem worse than other class A gassers. I do think I am going to do some suspension upgrades to address that. When I bought it I thought I would do a Bank Power Pack but it doesn't need it (not to mention I have since learned the Power Pack doesn't give much bang for the buck on the newer 3 valve V-10 engine). All in all, I would buy the same coach if I had it to do over.

cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote