Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Need Help Finding a Repair Shop for Engine

We have a 2005 SeaBreeze Class A motorhome with a Ford V-10 engine. We need to find a garage that is capable of repairing the engine. Seems as though the engine needs to be removed to do the repair. We were traveling near Bishop, CA when it happened and the Ford garage in Bishop says they are not equipped to handle dropping the frame. Where does one go in Central/Southern California or Western Nevada to get one's motorhome repaired?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #2

My first call would be to Redlands RV and Truck Service. They do engine work and are a first rate shop. If they can't do it, they surely know the best folks in the greater area to help.

Home | Redlands RV and Truck Performance Center

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Is dropping the engine the only way to take the engine out? I thought that by reading these threads, but ours came straight out the front. They removed the grill and it slid right out. Sorry no pictures of the process.

Hope this helps, might take another look and see if there is another way.

Alan & Terry
Old 10-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #4

What happened to the engine?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:44 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
What happened to the engine?
It either dropped a valve or blew the top off a piston.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smagee View Post
It either dropped a valve or blew the top off a piston.
Hey friend, I'm sure I'm not the only one to want to know specifics, or more detail. This is horrible news for you but was there any indications? Any other information would be nice, thanks.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smagee, I feel your pain. I'm going through an engine change right now after a similar catastrophe (lower bearing and rod). I'm on the other coast and am lucky enough to have a good friend who owns a repair shop, is a motorhome guy himself, and had a salvaged donor coach with a low mileage V10 he is installing, along with the transmission right now. He also owns a towing company and is not afraid to improvise. So my initial tragedy is having a happy outcome that would not have made economic sense, considering the age of my coach, if not for this serendipitous coincidence. I wish you luck finding a shop willing and able to do the work. It is a big job and very expensive because of the labor involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post
Is dropping the engine the only way to take the engine out? I thought that by reading these threads, but ours came straight out the front. They removed the grill and it slid right out. Sorry no pictures of the process.
Alan & Terry
Alan, I'm amazed at what you are saying! Did you see this operation yourself? I'd love to hear the "how-to" details. I have the same make and year Southwind that you have, though mine is the 36Z. How was the engine actually moved through the opening? Forklift, maybe? Or was there room for a conventional engine hoist to fit in there? It's not like you can just remove the hood as you can with a car or normal cab truck.

For both the donor coach and mine, the front end had to be jacked up (using a heavy tow truck) and blocked up, then the entire front axle and suspension removed, and the engine dropped out the bottom, supported from below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vx4n0hqk9r...6_080.jpg?dl=0

As of this morning, the donor engine is in the shop, the axle is off my coach and my engine is being prepped for removal. I'll post a thread with other pictures once it's complete.

I can hardly wait to get my baby, "The Golden Retriever", back on the road! Dash ornament Skye and driver-in-training Annie...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tly2pj7mic...7_731.jpg?dl=0

Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, need help, repair