Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #15

I have the same 7.5 KW genset. When looking at the generator, there is a small inspection plate on the left side, held on by a couple of 10mm bolts. Remove those and look at the terminal block, mine was in very bad shape, corrosion so bad you couldn't see the terminal block for it.
Removed it and replaced it and the genset works like new.
Hope this helps
Jim

Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like you lost a phase on your EMS switch , you may want to check your ground and hot legs for corrosion or loose wires .

Good luck,

James

Old 06-06-2013, 03:55 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for the continued advice. I am currently working with Intellitec and Monaco(whoever they are now)and waiting on reply from them.It does appear that for a start the EMS control board is bad.I'm trying to make sure all else is well so this does not damage the new board and other new parts . I will post results. I will check inspection plate today,I have checked grounds and hot wires all I can find. Thank's for the replies.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
It's late and I'm tired but I'm pretty sure you have 2 legs- 1 x30
1x 20 amp on 7.5kwatts gen set
You only get 50 amps out of 12kva unit
Old 06-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSkinner View Post
It's late and I'm tired but I'm pretty sure you have 2 legs- 1 x30
1x 20 amp on 7.5kwatts gen set
You only get 50 amps out of 12kva unit
Before America wakes up I'd like to retract the above post
Leading you astray
Old 06-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #20

OP, Im not quite following your post. How do you know you are only getting 30 amps available from your genset? The intellitec display on 30 amp service or genset displays the physical amp draw it is using. If you are running 2 AC units, that will go up to about 30 amps. If your turn your water heater to electric or run the micro at the same time as the 2 AC's, then the display should exceed the 30 amps.

What is happening once you hit 30 amps? Is the ems shedding certain items or are you tripping breakers? The ems should have little lights next to big power items like the acs, watwr heater, etc. When on 50 amp service hookup the ems will not show any amperage draw on the display. Now this is for the intellitec ems on the holiday ramblers of your vintage. I cant soeak for othet years. Please keep us posted.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Crah,I am not sure how many amps the genset will put out,it is however sending 120v to L1,and L2 in EMS panel.But EMS does not recognize genset online,and display shows 30amp service connected.Hope this is a little easier to understand. I talked to factory rep for EMS,and Monaco and we all seem to come back to same issue,that the EMS board must be the culprit. I am trying to make sure I cover all info. available not to cause damage to new board since mine is obsolete and the upgrade is a little over $400.00 Thanks to all for your replies .Please keep them coming
Old 06-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #22

Still not making much sense but it doesnt take much to confuse me lol.

Are you plugged into shore power when you do this? If not and when your gen is running, are you getting power at your outlets?
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

You are right about the +12v signal line - that is what says "generator".Iit is needed because your Onan 7500 produces in-phase 120v outputs, so there is no 240v to signal 50A available.

The +12v that signals generator running typically comes from the light on the generator remote switch. The generator feeds 12v back to the remote via its wiring harness when the genny starts, so that's a convenient signal that the generator is running.

If you can't find why the +12 is missing, you can add a manual switch from any 12v source. I did that because I sometimes run from another source that has two legs and plenty of amps but 120v only (not split phase).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #24
YC1

Gary, that is good information to have about the generator indicator being the light signal. I spent a bit of time and had not been able to decipher that yet.

It is amazing that I seem to learn something new on these things every day.

We came back from the Bay area today where the temps were 77 degrees. We hit the valley to find it 112 degrees. At our RV it is a cool 105 and found no AC running. Looked at the meter panel and it was showing 30 amps. The thermostat was showing the AC should be on but it was an oven. First thought was shoreline but the AC panel in the bedroom was closer. Found the Front AC circuit breaker tripped. Reset it and the hall panel showed 50 amps again. The AC fired right up and I have no clue why it was tripped. First time ever for that breaker to trip.

So, it seems the EMS panel is not looking at the incoming lines directly. Not trying to steal the thread. Just showing how these things can be quite a mystery.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Talked to factory tech,and seems to confirm bad EMS control board is bad.He also informed me the flat plug on the genset wiring harness is all control wiring(meaning sending signals to various components?) I do have 12v at board now after checking connections.Just to say Crah I know the feeling... but I did not start or run genset with shore power,but tested both separate,and did have 120v at recptials.Will be ordering new control board this week,and post results as soon as avilable.Hapy Trails to all...Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 04:00 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Replaced EMS main control board,and seems to have resolved my problem.The job was pretty straight forward and not very difficult to complete .Thanks for all the help. Happy Trails!!