Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #29

These are the Oscar or tri fold rivets I mentioned--I believe Oscar is a brand name. Notice how much holding power they will provide behind a thin material like a fiberglass or aluminum skin. Again, not cheap but available and work just like a pop rivet and do not need a washer behind the wall.

Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #30

Nutserts are the same theory, except the pin in the middle unscrews when the rivet is in place, leaving a threaded socket for a screw.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #31

I would probably use well nuts to reattach.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #32

TheseClick image for larger version

Name:	WellNuts.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	250421
Old 06-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #33

Yes, well nuts will work as well, and are especially good if the item being attached needs to be removed. They will make a water tight seal when affixed, but there will be a slight gap between the base of the object and the sidewall as the only contact points will be the well nuts. That could result in the ability of the attached item to move under stress and work itself loose or tear the rubber grommet. This may or may not be an issue, but it is something to consider.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
geees, these are pop rivits. Plain ole pop rivits that get used for this purpose all the time by manufacturers....
Not really. 'Standard' pop rivets leave a hole in the middle, which as you mentioned require something to waterproof them.

These are a slightly different type of rivet which leaves the center hole filled smoothly with the surface of the rivet. I believe that these are called blind rivets.

A 'standard' pop rivet will probably work, but using the correct rivet for the task is preferable, both for strength and for functions such as protection against water intrusion.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #35

Need help - How do I remove this type of exterior screw.

Due to some ‘unforeseen’ incidences I have a couple of swivel hooks that look like thisClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3319.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	250445 instead of thisClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3320.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	250446. These hold a bra on the front cap. Can anyone tell me what type of rivet was used or should be used?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3323.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	250447
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #36

Sorry, not enough information. Here is pic with fastener showingClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3322.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	250448
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #37

^^. They are pop rivets. Does your front slide open? I replace my rivets with same size stainless screws, washers and nuts. That way when those swivels break you can more easily replace them.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Not really. 'Standard' pop rivets leave a hole in the middle, which as you mentioned require something to waterproof them.

These are a slightly different type of rivet which leaves the center hole filled smoothly with the surface of the rivet. I believe that these are called blind rivets.

A 'standard' pop rivet will probably work, but using the correct rivet for the task is preferable, both for strength and for functions such as protection against water intrusion.
Ah, no, the rivets in the OP's picture IS a standard pop rivet. The hole in the middle is there, just plugged with the remains of the stud. If he smacked it with a small drift from front to backside, it would be an open hole.

Look closer at the pic.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Sorry, not enough information. Here is pic with fastener showingAttachment 250448
That looks like another standard pop rivet. Those might be 1/8" long ones.

Oh...another trick: When drilling out a rivet, push out the center from front to back...then using the rivet's correct sized drill, drill out the top. Now, most of the time after a second, the rivet will spin with the drill. When this happens, drill on an angle to the head which will cut the head off. Then, the shaft of the rivet will push into the RV without the rivet having elongated the hole due to the shaft spinning.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
These are the Oscar or tri fold rivets I mentioned--I believe Oscar is a brand name. Notice how much holding power they will provide behind a thin material like a fiberglass or aluminum skin. Again, not cheap but available and work just like a pop rivet and do not need a washer behind the wall.

Those are cool rivets. Would be good for an oversized hole. Gotta get me some of those for inventory.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #41

You are right, they are pop rivets
AndyT1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #42

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
Thank you all! This site is fantastic. Six replies within just a few minutes.

I’m going to grab my drill and go to work.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason they’d use pop rivets instead of regular screws?

Faster & Cheaper

Tags
need help, scr