Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Need help loss of power/cruise control

I am experiencing several things 1. Cruise control, cuts out and while on cruise and wind 2x same day the engine oscillated/hunted by 1000 RPM. I shut down engine or shut off cruise and restarted. 2. several time engine was running but there was nothing in the pedal and one time engine shut down. And finally today while experiencing power loss I now have no power to one of the 12v power outlets. I believe it might be electrical assuming fuel pump electric, cruise electric and now lack of power to an outlet.

Any help would be appreciated, assuming I am correct I am looking at the chassis battery switch, but not having any problems now except no power to outlet. I did replace the coach switch earlier this year.

Gene

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #2

Cat, or Cummins engine in your Freightliner chassis?
What were the road conditions ? Wet roads ? Raining ?
Check engine light?

Old 09-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Gene,

Your 12 VDC dash sockets are fused and those fuses are generally in the front run bay on the main electronics board.

How long ago has it been since you changed out your fuel filters?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cummins 275 , replaced fuel filter in April. Road conditions was windy 30-40 MPH. have not had the RPM change since. I had the no power (pedal) yesterday, this problem started about two weeks ago. I was concerned that they were all connected some how. thanks for your help
Old 09-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #5

Gene; Thanks for adding info to your signature line.
As Richard says the 12v power on the dash lighter socket would not be connected to the same fuses as the ECM, ( Engine Control Module ).
Your lack of throttle response , could be signs of a lift pump failure or problems with the TPS, ( Throttle Position Sensor ) under the pedal on our vintage of chassis.
Freightliner/Cummins uses 5 fused battery feeds to the ECM as well a ignition power, the 5 battery fuses are in a module in the engine bay, that from the factory had a plastic shield surrounding it. Over the years that plastic can fall apart, leaving the module exposed to water being sprayed through the engine bay on wet roads. So there is the possibility of corroded connections at those fuses, one of those fuses is for the lift pump power feed, that the ECM turns on once it sees ignition power.
5"x5" box in the picture below, the boxes may be in a slightly different location on your coach; but location is limited by the length of wiring.
There are several posts ongoing about , hidden locations of secondary fuel filters, something to consider too. But I don't thing a plugged secondary filter problem would be as erratic as you describe.
I'd say time for a lift pump pressure/flow test and checking the TPS with a scan tool. You could check the wiring connection, from the TPS to the dash harness under the dash, humidity from carpet cleaning can cause issues there.
Pictures show the fuse set up for my Cat , your Cummins will have more fuses in this location.
Parts of the plastic cover visible, where the module attaches to the firewall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0242 (640x360).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	75226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243 (640x360).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	75227  

Tags
cruise control, loss of power, need help, power