Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't know where people come up with this "rule" about tires having to be replaced after 5-6 years!!
Even the tire manufacturers say differently!!
Michelin says they can easily go 5 years, then inspected yearly and if OK, then absolutely replaced after 10 years.
I just replaced our 4701 tires late last year. Never had any troubles, not even a flat. But I do check tire pressures before a trip and at least once a day.
Michelin used to publish a wallet card guide that showed what cracking was allowable, I picked up several at an FMCA rally some years ago, wish I could find them now!
Anyway, there is NO hard and fast rule that says 5 or 7 years they HAVE to be replaced!!
Some people are drinking too much koolaid from their tire dealers that see $$ in their eyes!!

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a tire pressure monitoring system and watch the pressure all the time. My RV tires will be 5 years old in Jan 2012. I will watch them closely for signs of cracking and other defects but do not plan on replacing them until they are 7 to 8 years old as long as they look OK. The tires on my 60 Corvette are 25 years old and they look brand new. I don't drive if often but I do check the pressure and condition before driving it.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure that I agree with any advice that says that tires that are 9+ years old that nobody knows the true condition of are good to go and are safe. I know for sure I would never tell somebody that it is OK to take your family on a trip with tires that are that old. The danger of a front blowout is just too great which can lead to a serious accident and the amount of damage that can be done to the MH if a back tires lets loose is also great. According to tire engineers that are in the know and not tire salesman those tires are juts too old. The other question is who has the expertise to inspect the tires to say they are still good. It for sure is not the guy running the tire store. You just cannot look at the outside of a tire and say it is good to go. The tire has to be removed from the rim and checked inside by somebody who knows what to look for.

You have to get new tires sooner or later so get them now and have a safe trip.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #18

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

My Michelins are 5+ years old. I check pressure often, have monitoring system, park in a shed on plywood boards, and have it on the road a minimum of every month (51K miles in 64 months). I plan on a trip to Alaska next summer and will have a Michlin tire center provide me with a health check. 305/70R/22.5 tires are not readily available so I want some assurance that visually they are OK.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

According to a friend of mine who is a retired engineer of a major tire company's RV tire division says driving regulary on tires is the best thing you can do to keep them healthy. The heating and the flexing of sidewalls cause the tires to "bloom" which means the oils and chemicals within the rubber come to the surface and stop the sidewalls from drying out. The worst thing you can do is to park it it for long periods of time without covers on them or something under them.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:51 AM   #20

I would not touch the "how old is old tire question", Butttt I would leave THAT tire dealers parking lot quickly and never return.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:49 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
First off, check the DOT code on the side of each tire to see EXACTLY how old each one is. Since your rig is a 2002, chances are the codes will show that the tires were built in 2001 or 2002.

As many have stated before, for RVer's, it's age before mileage. There are a lot of factors that go into determining whether the tire can maintain safe performance. Any tire over 6-7 years of age can still be used providing that each tire is dismounted and inspected by a qualified and knowledgeable tire technician. The cost to do that EACH year after 6-7 years of use out weigh's the cost of purchasing new tires.

This is a no brainer, BUY new tires.

Regarding wheels, spin them to see whether they are damaged or not.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 05-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I don't know where people come up with this "rule" about tires having to be replaced after 5-6 years!!
Michelin says they can easily go 5 years, then inspected yearly and if OK, then absolutely replaced after 10 years.

Some people are drinking too much koolaid from their tire dealers that see $$ in their eyes!!
2X... But, 10 years of use or 10 years after they were made? Tires can sit in a warehouse for years before they hit a dealer. My friend owns a tire store and loves when a coach owner comes in and buys new tires because they are 5 -6 years old. He sells the used tires to a trucking company and he says they run them until they are bald so they couldn't be that bad. I don't believe there is a magic number of years for tires. I believe it depends on the make of the tire and the condition. If there is bad cracking or thread separation then even a fool would know to replace them. If they look like new, have one taken off and inspected. Just common sense....
Old 05-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I replaced my Michelin tires in Sept of last year. They were dated 4701 so they were over 9 years old.
I went to Les Schwab a couple years ago and had an "expert" look at them, all he did was circle the cracks and wouldn't say whether they were good to run or not.
One of the reasons a tire needs to be inspected inside is to look for breaks in the inside coating, that allows moisture from the air inside the tire to get to the steel cords and belts, causing them to rust and break or come unbonded from the tire rubber. Another reason to use "dry" air, which most people don't. That's the only feature of nitrogen over wet air (run your air through a "dryer" and it's "dry" air).
Old 05-25-2011, 12:32 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' View Post
305/70R/22.5 tires are not readily available so I want some assurance that visually they are OK.
Yep, I went looking for two for my front axle. At that time there were two in the country!! By the time I got my wife over the cost shock they were sold. Had to order them in and wait about a month to get them delivered, but they were new tires, not some that had been sitting somewhere.

Continental lists 305/70's in their catalog, but they weren't in production when I needed them. Don't know if they're available yet or not.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Correct answer
Old 05-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Get a second opinion.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Pace,
Take a look at these pictures and you decide.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyb68 View Post
I am new to RVing, but I owned a tire shop for 5 years. He is blowing smoke trying to sell you the aluminum rims, I would find me a new tire shop and get their opinion on the tires, sight unseen, I can't tell you about them that would have to be up to your discretion. After all, its your life you are putting on the line if they blow. Personally if it isn't a long trip I would probably go ahead and then worry about replacement afterwards. Good luck and God Bless!
Let's remember that it's not just his life that's being put on the line.

The only hard number I'm aware of regarding a tire timing out is the Michelin 10 year max limit.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote