Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #1

Need help on adhesive choice

I'm in the middle of redoing my entire fiberglass roof with Dicor RPFRC1 Fiberglass RV Roof Coating. As one of the preliminary steps, I will be applying 4" eternal bond tape along the entire length of the roof—on the crown—down to where it meets just above the gutter.

My question is:
What type of adhesive should I use to run a small bead in that little molding area where the tape edge and the molding meet?

See attached photo for more info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof-tape-diagram.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	141019  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #2

Sorry but I can't answer the question however I have worked with Etarnabond and it needs no help staying down. Also in that application you might consider the Etarnabond product that is paintable as I assume it will get the roof coating also.

twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #3

I ran my eternabond tape all the way over that edge onto the gutter to avoid adding the bead you are talking about. But also found a very good caulking for all my roof sealing SikaFlex 1A
Old 10-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I'm in the middle of redoing my entire fiberglass roof with Dicor RPFRC1 Fiberglass RV Roof Coating. As one of the preliminary steps, I will be applying 4" eternal bond tape along the entire length of the roof—on the crown—down to where it meets just above the gutter.

My question is:
What type of adhesive should I use to run a small bead in that little molding area where the tape edge and the molding meet?

See attached photo for more info.
Why not take the tape over the edge like Sam mentioned? This would be a good seal and not need any other type.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #5

Winnebago has a sealant call out sheet for your coach online. I would use what they recommend and seal the joint. I would not use Eternabond for this purpose if were my coach. The purpose of the sealant at this seam is more of an adhesive than a sealant. The outer 6" or so of the fiberglass roof sheet are not bonded for the full length of the roof on Winnebagos. Not sure if Eternabond has sufficient bond line strength for this application. JMHO.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
Winnebago has a sealant call out sheet for your coach online. I would use what they recommend and seal the joint. I would not use Eternabond for this purpose if were my coach. The purpose of the sealant at this seam is more of an adhesive than a sealant. The outer 6" or so of the fiberglass roof sheet are not bonded for the full length of the roof on Winnebagos. Not sure if Eternabond has sufficient bond line strength for this application. JMHO.
Winnebago also states to check this seal regularly. If their recommendations are sound - then why would they not last. Much like their leaking windshield frames, windows and roof that fly off, I have little faith in the overall engineering or final results over the past 15 years.

I know some have used 3m 5200 to seal and adhere the seam together at the rail which is permanent but I would go with the 4200.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:48 PM   #7

For my 2015 Winnebago, the sealant called out is 094401-04-000 , which is Stone Mason Gutter and Siding Sealant, which is a clear sealant. It is available on Amazon, sold by Winnebago Outdoors. As previously mentioned this actually acts as an adhesive to retain the 1/2" or so of fiberglass roofing behind the gutter strip. Winnebago recommends this joint be checked every 6 months.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-SubGuy View Post
For my 2015 Winnebago, the sealant called out is 094401-04-000 , which is Stone Mason Gutter and Siding Sealant, which is a clear sealant. It is available on Amazon, sold by Winnebago Outdoors. As previously mentioned this actually acts as an adhesive to retain the 1/2" or so of fiberglass roofing behind the gutter strip. Winnebago recommends this joint be checked every 6 months.
Ditto, have done this on both my Itascas. Call Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City and they will get you the right stuff for your coach.
Rich
Old 10-07-2016, 09:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-SubGuy View Post
Thanks everyone, Stone Mason Gutter and Siding Sealant it is.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I find it hard to understand why they spec a product not made in the US and so hard to locate locally when we have all kinds of other products equally good, made in the US and readily available. Suggest OP do some research and make decisions based on knowledge not someone else's ( winnie).

this site will help you understand the types of caulks/adhesives
Making Sense of Caulks and Sealants

Personally, I would look at the many other great products available that will last a long time and you can find it many places.
My first choice is DAP Sidewinder (thermo plastic)
others are
Henry 212 (they make stone mason product but do not have spec sheet)
Mulco 104xxo
nuflex640
tremco830 (they have been around and used industrially for generations)

IMHO there are options. I used DAP
Old 10-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #11

OP's fact find and final decision

Well, trying to find Stone Mason Gutter and Siding Sealant online has been challenging at best. It appears it is made in Canada and is no longer available in the U.S. But I just read this on another forum and thought this would be interesting to other readers:

The roof to sidewall sealant for my Itasca Horizon is, Winnie part no. 094401-04-000. This is a clear thermoplastic sealant. Previously, the Winnebago product was Stone Mason Gutter and Siding Sealant. This product is manufactured in Canada and is no longer distributed in the US. Now Winnie has replaced this sealant with NuFlex 640, also a clear thermoplastic sealant. I recently used NuFlex 640 on my coach and it appears to be identical to the prior Stone Mason product.

A price quote for NuFlex 640 at a Winnebago dealer was $16.25 a tube. I placed a call to the R.T. Sales, the US distributor, and found I can purchase a case of 12 tubes for $4.52 a tube, plus shipping.

So as the OP, trying to find well priced, fresh tubes of NuFlex 640 has been another challenge. I ended up finding NuFlex 640 (clear) tubes @ rvautoparts.com. Part# 13-1154 @ $13.29/tube, no minimums.

Thanks everybody.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:42 PM   #12

I use Geocel which is available from ACE and others. It is flexible and UV resistant and has worked well for me.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:38 AM   #13

For information I received two tubes of Stone Mason Gutter and Siding Sealant (clear) last Thursday, purchased on Amazon and supplied/shipped by Winnebago Outdoors.
Thanks
Russ
Old 10-11-2016, 07:02 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
save on thermo plastic caulk

For some reason Home Depot decided, in their infinite wisdom, to sell us what they want and not what we need, they stopped selling us Dap Side Winder. Much like they stopped selling Krylon paints which I happen to like more than Rustolium, or quality fasteners that they ceased selling 10 years ago.

A simple search for Dap provided many sources at a very low cost for a quality thermo plastic calk for under $6. Shopping for product at it's lowest cost is my fetish and I don't like to spend more than need for basic chemical. EX. Acetone at $22 per gal is the same as Acetone at $7 per gal.
Example: Just purchased the oil feed to my turbo for $45 rather than the $165 Cummins was asking for the same part number.

https://www.amazon.com/Winder-Advanc...0006B67ZU?th=1

https://www.zoro.com/dap-siding-and-...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Tags
need help, adhesive