Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Need help spending $85,000 on first RV

I need help on figuring out the best bang-for-buck on my first RV purchase. I want something under 35 feet that sleeps 6-8. We will be using for 2-3 weekend trips throughout the year with a few week-long trips in the summer. Travel will be throughout the West as I live in California. Budget is $85k. I would like to buy something I can keep for 7-10 years.
So for $85k, I have found the following:

2013 Hurricane 32a
Brand new coach with perfect floor plan and style to our liking. But I hear mixed reviews on quality.

2009 Fleetwood Southwind 32vs
Found a beauty being sold by original owner that was well taken care of with 19k miles.

2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34sbd (Diesel)
Used Diesel with 20k miles. Again, very well cared for and sold by original owner.

What would you bet your money on? Or is there something else you would recommend I should consider?

bill_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
The best bet is diesel.

Wbitz81670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Hard to sleep 8 people in 34 footer.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Originally Posted by Wbitz81670 View Post
The best bet is diesel.
X2, we picked up our 04 Winnebago. Journey 39K last month for 65k, with 47,000 miles on the Diesel motor. We have three slideouts. I would go for the Holiday Rambler and a million mile motor.
Jeff/Diane, Retired Fire Capt. I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
2004 Winnebago Journey 39K on a Workhorse chassis w/ ISC 330, Allison 3000
2013 Honda Fit with Roadmaster Baseplate, BrakeMaster and All Terrain Falcon Tow Bar.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
The Thor Hurricane sleeps 8 because it has a queen bed over the cab area that slides down electrically. Really nice feature.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1000 HP diesel aint going to help if you cant sleep the whole family

I would go for the best lay out, because thats what you are going to be "living" in

New there is a warrenty

The V-10 should move a 32' rig just fine

I rather have a 350HP Cat pushing me along, but I LOVE my layout and the fact I have no slides to deal with. So just remember how that layout works for ya.

Just a tip, get all the people traveling with you, and all of yall lay down like its bed time, see how each unit feels. Do the same with just sitting around inside, there will be rainy days that you will all be stuck inside.
1995 Thor Residency 36', Chromolusion Paint, 460 Ford, Gale Banks Power Pack, Ported and Polished Heads, BBK Throttle Body, ECM Program & 1996 Coleman Shenandoah 25' Pop-Up
Good Sam Lifetime Member 269454
F239141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Since the rig will be sitting unused a lot I would eliminate the DP. Of the gas units the Southwind is a few steps up from the Hurricane.

Does the Southwind come with 22.5" wheels? If so - that would be my pick if it will sleep 8.

Wait!!! All you need is a tent or 2 to supplement sleeping. My sister-in-law and her husband had to sleep 8. They had a Damon Daybreak with bunks, dinette and couch bed. They said they never had 8 sleep in the MH. There were always kids that wanted to sleep in tents. That sometimes they were the only ones in the MH...they needed to travel with 8 but only sleep 2 or 4.

Cool - good luck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
We are a family of 4, but I want to be able to accomodate friends and family that want to tag along. I think tents or cots will work if it can sleep 6.

Great suggestion on getting F239141 on getting everyone in the coach and laying down and sitting around to see what it will be like.

I really appreciate all the great replies!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
Originally Posted by bill_m3 View Post
The Thor Hurricane sleeps 8 because it has a queen bed over the cab area that slides down electrically. Really nice feature.
I hope you have great affection for these potential 8 people. That many in a 32 ft mh is something not for the faint of heart. I have a 31 ft Hurricane and find having just two people in it during a driving rainstorm tight. One thing to think about is where are these 8 people going to put their stuff? Yes it may sleep 8 but this also means taking down the dinette every night and putting it back up. Unfolding the sleeper sofa and putting it back up. Doing the same with the drop down bed.

We bought our Thor 30Q used (third owner). Quality is so so. Tank sizes are barely adequate for two people. If you plan to always be hooked up to sewer then not an issue, but something to look into.

You sure you want a MH versus say a 5th wheel? You usually get more space for the money but you do have to buy a truck.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One word of caution, Thor does not have a sterling reputation for quality. Six people might be doable in a 34' coach, I seriously doubt 8 will work.

Also, with so many people in the RV, you need to be concerned with sufficient seat belts for travel and CCC or cargo carrying capacity. Six people and all of their gear will probably overload a typical gas engine RV.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
May I suggest you purchase your first motorhome based on the best floor plan that will accomodate a family of four. A diesel will give you a higher gross vehicle weight rating. Do you plan on towing a car or truck? I can appreciate you wanting to be able to sleep a higher number of people at times, but that is also more wear and tear on your house and chassis components.

The numbers game is always at the forefront especially when you are considering monthly payments (if applicable), fuel or gas, insurance and maintenance, etc. Are you pretty handy mechanically? There is always something to fix on these beasts and you need to be aware of this reality . If not, you may want to consider an extended warranty just in case.

Best of luck.
ZackMan & Wife
2007 Monaco Executive
ZackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
You guys gave me some good things to think about on trying to squeeze so many people. So yes, I agree my decision needs to be made based on what will fit my family. I can always have guests drive their own car to the location or keep it to 1 or 2 "small" kid friends.

Regarding towing, I really don't know. I am thinking not for most trips since it will be only 2-3 day trips.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
8 people in a MH they better be small children or falcons cheerleaders. There is a reason a new motorhome and a 3-4 year old coach are the same price.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
If you are not going to tow a car, then you could tow a travel trailer for the extra people.

wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote