Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #15

It is a surflow and has the pressure tank connected. My holding tank is half full. I found the leak!
It is located under the bathroom sink, cold water side on a "T" close to where the pipe goes up to the cold water intake at the sink.
The 1/2 inch pipe is a gray pipe. I once owned a triplex that had that color pipe in it. That pipe had a recall on it and they stopped making it because it busted so bad. I think that is the same pipe.
Anyhow, it will not be easy to get to but I am heading to Lows for the "T" and a crimper tool.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #16

I installed a converter to watch TV and run some small items. It stays off unless I turn it on purposefully.
Thank you for the clarification, I don't know a lot about this stuff at all but I try.
The RV came with the system it has. I assume the converter. It does stop when I unplug the shore line. I assume it starts back up when I use the generator. It also has the automatic transfer switch though I would not know what it looks like or where it is located.

The gen. does have the delay after start up. I always wait for it to start before attempting to use anything.
I am looking for a carburetor kit, the parts man wants to know what engine I have with the Onan, is it not made by Onan?
The only part leaking was the high/low altitude valve and mostly while I was turning it. Sometimes just buying a new carburetor is better than overhauling the old ones.

Question, is it OK to have the RV plugged into shore and run the generator at the same time??

Old 12-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #17

You installed an inverter to watch TV you have them confused, An inverter turns DC (battery power) into AC (110 Wall outlet). The converter is a built in battery charger. Turns AC into 12v DC. In my coach the transfer switch senses that the generator is running and after the time delay defaults to the generator if it is running. YMMV
Unless you have a lot of experience with small engine carbs I'ld get the replacement carb. I was a motorcycle mechanic at one time in my misspent youth and would attempt a rebuild only if I had the necessary parts in front of me, taking it apart and finding out the leak is from a .10 cent seal you don't have is frustrating. Fleetwood now owns Holiday Rambler I'ld look at their web site, they have been very responsive in providing me with schematics for my coach I'm sure they will assist you if they have the information.
z3406 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #18

I thought I bought an inverter for my TV. I will get her strait after a while.
I did not have time to get my pipe parts today, I got a rescue dog and that stopped everything else in my tracts.
I could not find the "O" ring I needed. It fits around the mixture adjustment. I did take the bowl off and the needle, cleaned them with carb. cleaner. Put her back together and she runs like a charm, no gas leak!
I still do not have electricity from the Gen. I hear it work when I plug into the shore, unplug it, crank up the gen, nothing. I let her run 30 minutes just to warm it up.
Tomorrow I can start checking places to see if it is charging at all. Not sure where to start??
Maybe if I can locate the transfer switch would be a good start!
Old 12-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #19

I think the transfer switch would be an excellent place to start. Another thought see if you can download the owners manual for your gen and see if the have a troubleshooting section.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #20

The transfer switch should be at the coach end of your power cord.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #21

Again today, too many other priorities kept me away from the RV. I did get the water pipe repaired tonight. Will watch awhile to make sure. Got a fan blowing on the moist carpet to dry up.
Tomorrow I need to have the generator putting out power so I can use it this week for work.
I will follow the shore cord and see where it goes hopefully find the transfer switch. Also thought I would check for 110 at the generator, the first junction box. If it is producing electricity (though I don't hear it change intensity, like when an ac starts pulling). If there is no electricity at that point there may be a problem with something inside of the gen.
I have the parts book, installation and owners manual. No trouble shooting book!
Old 12-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #22

Just came in, good news, the gen is producing 120 V at the first junction box.
Now I need to locate the transfer switch. Maybe I can call one of the RV dealers nearby and they can tell me where it is.
I have two boxes of breakers, all re set, nothing working with the generator.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:46 PM   #23

Sounds like progress good luck. If you can trace the wiring coming in from the external power plug or out from the gen they will lead to the junction box.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:38 PM   #24

Actually went out tonight, traced the wire as best I could beneath the unit. Removed the junction box cover at the shore line, no relay there. I found what I thought was the wire coming up into the bedroom, but those wires ran to the water pump. Looks like one other part of it ran on toward the bath. I looked in every compartment top and bottom, opened the breaker boxes, looked all around the 12 V transformer, crawled beneath the RV. Looked inside of the battery compartment and gen compartment, even looked up front in the engine area.
No transfer solenoid located. Just frustrated as I need it all fixed tomorrow!
Old 12-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #25
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just a wild guess here. IF your rv does not have a transfer switch it would have an electrical box in the compartment where the shoreline cord comes out of. The cord has to be plugged in on those setups when trying to get power from the genny.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #26

12v Transformer???
I assume in the past you have has 120V from the gen working in the coach. My first coach did not have a transfer switch. Instead it had a plug in the electric compartment you had to plug in. ie: you would unplug the shore power and plug in the gen. Look for a box where the shore power and gen wiring meet. It should most likely be rather large conduits
Old 12-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #27

Glenn, it occurred to me that you may not have a transfer switch. Look in the compartment where your power cord stows for a receptacle that your cord would plug into. If you have a receptacle there, that would be where the generator power is. I had a Winnebago that I had to plug into a receptacle in the coach to get generator power.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennj3cub View Post
No transfer solenoid located. Just frustrated as I need it all fixed tomorrow!
If you are looking for a solenoid type device, that may be the problem. At least in mine, the automatic transfer switch (ATS) is a box, and is located at the point the shoreline power cord attaches to the motorhome.

As others have pointed out, some of the older RV's do not have an ATS. The power is obtained only through the power cord, i.e.: the cord has to be plugged into an outside power source, or when unplugged from there, it must be plugged into the outlet receptacle from the generator (located in your power cord bay or next to the generator).

Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, need help