Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #1

Need help - to recoat rubber roof or not -pictures included

I'm trying to decide on how quickly I need to recoat my rubber roof. I recently cleaned and resealed all of the vents/skylights etc on the roof. I also gave the roof a good cleaning that took about 4 hours using rubber roof cleaner from Camping World. I asked about the condition when I went in, based on the pictures I had, but they only told me to bring the RV in. So I thought I would ask the knowledgeable people here and see what you guys think. Here are the pictures:

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
With the black rubber showing in a few spots, you are at a good time to re-coat the roof. The coating looks worn enough that the rubber is peaking through. Doing it now will preserve the EDPM and protect it from UV rays.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
do it now
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #4

I'm confused now. I also posted on RV.net and received 6 or 7 replys telling me the roof looked great and no need to do anything. But on this site I hear the opposite. I was hoping to avoid a recoat now since I've only had the RV 2 months and we have not even gone on a trip with it yet. I heard of someone using Henry's coating from Home Depot to recoat. Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't think it looks too bad, but we haven't had a "rubber" roof on an RV since '98. The Newmars have all had BriteTek and it's a thermoplastic material.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #6

Looks like you have done a lot of the prep work. It would be a great time to get this out of the way before it become a problem that has to be done now.
I did a previous M.h. With dicor from camping world with excellent results
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I don't think it looks too bad, but we haven't had a "rubber" roof on an RV since '98. The Newmars have all had BriteTek and it's a thermoplastic material.
You mentioned all Newmars have a roof made from BriteTek - I have an 03 Dutch Star. Does that have the BriteTek?
Deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
same question here with my 04 Mountain Aire gas rig. It's white on top I just thought it was rubber but it isn't real soft now that I think about it.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary G. View Post
same question here with my 04 Mountain Aire gas rig. It's white on top I just thought it was rubber but it isn't real soft now that I think about it.
I checked my brochure that came with the DSDP and it does not have a rubber roof. You can search Google for "2004 Newmar Mountain Aire roof material" and you will find your brochure from the Newmar site. Just check in the standard equipment section and it will list the roof material.
Deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine looks a lot like yours and I was going to do it soon. It is better to keep the maintenance up.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #11

Thanks again for all the comments. I think I will keep an eye on it this summer and we will go for a few short trips and then look to recoat it before winter.

Thanks,
Old 05-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
A large portion of the recoating work is cleaning it first. Since you have already done this, it's just a matter of applying the coating. This is very similar to painting with a roller, but the EPDM coating is thicker. You can purchase the coating here: EPDM Coatings, Liquid EPDM Rubber for Roof Leaks Repair

I suggest starting with 2 gallons. They offer a special RV coating for a higher price, but the commercial EPDM coating works great. It comes in 2 parts and must be thoroughly mixed. I used a large corkscrew paint mixer in a drill. For quick and easy application, buy a good paint roller with a 6' extension handle. Roll both sides starting from the front leaving a narrow walkway down the middle. Then go back and do touchups and coat the center walkway. It will need 24 hours of dry weather to cure, so you can do it under a roof or watch the weather.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I saw a writeup in Motorhome magazine about a new heat-reducing coating from Dicor for rubber roofs called "CoolCoat". You might want to check this out before deciding!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just had mine done with Kool Seal Top Coat. Dealer I bought it from did the work. Mine was in worst shape than yours. had larger areas showing black rubber. They say to coat it about every 5 years. Cost me $160.00
Better than $4000.00 to 6000.00 for a new rubber roof.

Tags
roof