Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #1

need help with adding,removing potable water and adding antifreeze to holding tank

have 1996 georgia boy pursuit need help on adding water, draining and how to add antifreeze to potable water tank for winter
my owners book doesn't Ave clear pictures
can anyone helo
thanks
Dave
highway dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 06:27 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Drain the tank, no need to put A/F in it if the water is gone. You may want to pump A/F through your lines to the faucets, toilets, etc.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #3

there are 2 small lines with valves by the fill tube , are these the drain lines
thanks
highway dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:15 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Those are the low point drains and will drain most of the water - but not all. I would suggest you blow the lines out with compressed air and then add anti-freeze to the sink traps. This works fine in climates where it doesn't get too cold. However, if you live where it is really cold, then pumping anti-freeze throughout your lines is better.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
I dissconnect the pump inlet line and then use a peace of hose into the AF container and let the pump pull from the container to the taps. Don't put the AF in the tank, unless you want to enjoy the taste for a while after. Hook everything back up so you are ready for the spring. My rig also has a valve on the vent system to close and keep the rodents form finding their way into your tank, check to see if you have one and close it. You have to eithe r blow out the lines from the city connection of fill a garden hose with AF to protect those lines.
Mr.Geritol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #6

I installed a kit that allows switching from pulling water from the tank to pulling it from the AF bottle by simply turning a lever. Also there is the water heater which is full of water unless drained. I have a bypass on mine which removes it from the hot water circuit when winterizing. Then, with the hose connected to the AF bottle I run the pump until colored fluid comes out of all the faucets, shower, and toilet. If any drains are missed while doing this I pour a little AF into them. I also make sure AF comes out all the drains.

Best of luck with it.

Steve D
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Geritol View Post
I dissconnect the pump inlet line and then use a peace of hose into the AF container and let the pump pull from the container to the taps. Don't put the AF in the tank, unless you want to enjoy the taste for a while after. Hook everything back up so you are ready for the spring. My rig also has a valve on the vent system to close and keep the rodents form finding their way into your tank, check to see if you have one and close it. You have to eithe r blow out the lines from the city connection of fill a garden hose with AF to protect those lines.
One addition,

Remove the drain plug (or Anode Rod on a Suburban Heater) one the bottom of the Hot Water Heater. If equipped, turn the by pass valves to block AF from going to the heater. Otherwise, you will need to pump 10 gallons of anti freeze through the water heater to prevent it from freezing. If your rig does not have a water heater by pass, you can purchase a kit from most any RV store.
In the spring, install the drain plug (or new Anode Rod if so equipped), turn the by pass to direct water to the heater, leave the over pressure valve on the heater open and run water until it comes out the valve. Close the valve and carry on to purge the pink stuff from the rest of the water system.
If you have an outside shower wand, don't forget to open it when you are running the AF so it doesn't freeze.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Here's my .02 -- put pink stuff in the tank. Yep, drain it, blow it if you can (limit that air pressure to 40psi), but put pink stuff in there in case there is a puddle in the first piece of pipe coming out of the tank. That piece of pipe will be a monster to change. With that, use the pump to push it around the system. You're gonna drain, flush and disinfect the tank nest spring anyway, why not pink it up to feel more secure.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #9

I put pink stuff in the fresh water tank then pump thru out. Sanitize in spring. Easy
Old 11-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #10

There is no need for RV anti-freeze in the fresh water tank, none! The small amount of remaining water will freeze and hump-up in the middle of the tank, but the area is so great (and only about 3/4" deep) it does not put stress on the tank.
I've RV'ed for decades and never once put RV anti-freeze in the fresh water tank. Just drain the tank, and if you are concerned, raise the (RV) opposite side from the drain outlet to remove nearly all water.
If you do put anti-freeze in the water tank, be prepared for an arduous process removing all taste and odor that permeates the plastic.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #11

I think the concern about AF in the tank was not about the tank itself freezing, but about the drain line leading from the tank freezing, and some of those are darn difficult to get to and replace. I'm with you on the tank freezing, but we had a camper in which the tank drain ran all the way from the front to the back inside the floor. I always put AF in the tank until I could see it come out the drain. As you say there was a slight residual taste which several flushings would pretty much eliminate. Also, all our drinking water went through a filter which seemed to remove even that. I guess it would come down to a matter of preference with consideration for the drain hose routing.

My reason for flushing from the pump instead of the tank and for the water tank bi-pass is that it significantly reduces the amount of AF needed for the job. Then, only a very small amount in the tank with the RV tilted toward the drain is sufficient to protect the drain, but I always made certain it came all the way through.

We had our first RV in 1979.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
YEP I forgot to add the bit on the water heater and the bypass, thanks for catching it.
Mr.Geritol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I've RV'ed for decades and never once put RV anti-freeze in the fresh water tank. Just drain the tank, and if you are concerned, raise the (RV) opposite side from the drain outlet to remove nearly all water.
If you do put anti-freeze in the water tank, be prepared for an arduous process removing all taste and odor that permeates the plastic.[/QUOTE]

I've been RVing for alot longer than most on this website -- I watched the moon landing live from a campsite in PA, on a black and white 8" tv with a telescoping antenna in a 22' Norris trailer we bought new a few years before, pulled behind a '63 Pontiac Bonneville station wagon with a 389 2-bbl. Arduous task -- not really, you're gonna flush and should disinfect the water system anyway, the pink taste goes away in the process, 'specially if you flush with a baking soda mixture. And the insurance of pinking up all the lines is worth it to me. I did forget the outside shower on a trailer I had just bought in the 90's; it was easy to fix but it made me think -- I dodged a bullet. Permeate the plastic?? The water lines are plastic and full of pink! They don't get permeated, why would the tank. Different plastic? Whatever, I've been dumping pink stuff in the water tank for ~ 50 years now, I'm not gonna stop now. If you've "never once put RV anti-freeze in the fresh water tank", how would you know it permeats the plastic and anything about the arduous task? A whole lot less trouble than raising one side and hoping for the best, jmho.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, tank, water