Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2016, 06:31 AM   #1

Need help with automatic Door Step

The door step has been working perfectly, except for a small squeal lately. Last week it just stopped working without any noticeable deterioration in performance leading up to the failure. The step is about 25% extended.

The light turns on when the door is open, telling me that it has 12 volts and the reed switch in the door is working.

In the tradition of staring under the hood, I got under there and poked and prodded at the wires and the mechanism.

When I got back up and tried the door, the step extended perfectly, but retracted only to the original 25% point. This happened for two door cycles and never again.

So the motor appears to be working. Are there sensor switches for fully open and fully closed, or is it based on motor load? Any ideas?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470400119.337656.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	134960

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 06:37 AM   #2

Could it be possible that it needs to be lubricated at the pivot points, I know that mine had problems and all it took was a little lube to fix it.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
The door step has been working perfectly, except for a small squeal lately. Last week it just stopped working without any noticeable deterioration in performance leading up to the failure. The step is about 25% extended.

The light turns on when the door is open, telling me that it has 12 volts and the reed switch in the door is working.

In the tradition of staring under the hood, I got under there and poked and prodded at the wires and the mechanism.

When I got back up and tried the door, the step extended perfectly, but retracted only to the original 25% point. This happened for two door cycles and never again.

So the motor appears to be working. Are there sensor switches for fully open and fully closed, or is it based on motor load? Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachment 134960
No mention of what unit you have. Kwikee steps this is sort of a known problem. My thoughts are that the wiring inside gets corroded or loose. Some people have mentioned that taping the motor/wiring unit get's it working again.
In you case you have have had a not so great connection. Closing/opening the door, poking around may have moved some wires and viola it is working again.
The joys of RV ownership...
Old 08-05-2016, 08:36 AM   #4

Yes, it is a Kwikee product. I was under there again this morning while DW worked the door. Managed to get one more cycle out of it, but could not repeat whatever I did.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First step is lubricant ALL pivot points. Since you said your step was squealing that's the most likely problem. If that doesn't help check the ground connection. Remove the ground, clean to bare metal and check operation. If you still have a problem check the power connector for corrosion. Pull it apart clean it very good and test. Be very careful, do not have your finger or hands away where near the moving parts.
Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lube all the pivots on the steps, use a penetrating oil, then an oil, NOT WD-40.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #7

Lubriction on a regular schedule will keep your steps working for a long time. Use a silicone lubricant NOT WD40. Every six months is a good interval for lubricating.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
give em a little bang with a hammer towards the way they move.. don't ask me why, but it's worked many times.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
give em a little bang with a hammer towards the way they move.. don't ask me why, but it's worked many times.
Get yourself some of this and put your hammer away.

https://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-T-9...=boeshield+t+9

No RVer or Boater should be without this stuff and Gorilla Tape.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperkids View Post
Could it be possible that it needs to be lubricated at the pivot points, I know that mine had problems and all it took was a little lube to fix it.
That is why Kwikee says to lubricate all pivot points monthly. This is probably the cause of twelvevolts problem too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I found this a the local Ace Hardware. I now use it for everything, works very good and seems to last where I have used it. I never bought into the Slick 50 oil additive but I like this spray lub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151021_170214.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	135126  
Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Are there sensor switches for fully open and fully closed, or is it based on motor load? Any ideas?
Thanks
The Kwikee step controller is load sensitive and shuts down the motor when a certain amps draw is reached , so any binding in the mechanism can cause the controller to shut the motor's power off.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee troubleshooting.pdf (392.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 08-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
I had a similar set of symptoms. Mine simply quit after a few squeaky extensions.

What my problem turned out to be was entirely mechanical. To fix it, I had to drop the entire assembly off the bottom of the coach and turn it over.

The main pivot pin connecting the actuator arm to the step extension mechanism 'backed out' (I guess the cotter key sheared off first). Once this pin was about 50% 'out', it bent on further actuation and got in a big bind. I had a devil of a time getting everything back together. Once I got the pin out, I was able to beat it straight with a ball peen hammer. I then filed it, greased it up, and installed with anew cotter pin. The rotating arm actuator had to be 'convinced' to stop in an intermediate position by putting in a temporary stop (I used a scrap piece of steel I had laying around) so all the linkages could be aligned.

Also--you have to be very careful--keep your fingers out of the works! The actuator has a lot of torque. You definitely could get hurt actuating this while trying to align things.
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperkids View Post
X2

Tags
door, need help