Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Need Help with Insurance for a Motorhome

I do not yet have a motorhome. I want to get a 42' to 45' DP probably a Newmar Essex or King Aire. It will probably be a used coach 2 to 3 years old. Currently live in So. Calif and plan on fulltime traveling to most states and Canada for maybe a period of 2 to 3 years. So my question is Insurance. What types do i need, who are the best companies and what should i expect to pay annually. The types of insurance i can think of are as follows:

1) Towing and Roadside assistance.

2) Extended warranty on chassis and coach. I will bet this is the most complicated one to research and filled with all types of problems, exclusions, etc.! I am guessing that this is the insurance that will be used the most and will be the most expensive as well. Who is the very best company that provides this type of coverage?

3) Automotive liability for the motorhome, including.......comprehensive, collision, property damage, etc. I would need insurance that covers me living in the unit. Right now i am assuming that this type of insurance is somewhat similar to that of an auto but it needs some of the coverage a homeowners policy provides as well?

4) Insurance to cover all of my personal belongings located in the coach, since i am now living in the coach. Not sure how this works.

5) Insuarnce for my toad that covers it being driven and being towed behind the motorhome. Again, i assume that perhaps a standard auto policy for the toad would suffice.

6) Also, does traveling in canada require different coverage than the for the states. i would guess it would but then again Canada is not Mexico and does not have all of the problems that come with that place.

6) ok what did i forget?

BucketList is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My moho and toad are insured by State Farm. The prices are good and I have an agent who answers questions like those you asked.

I full-time and I use a South Dakota mail forwarding service to establish legal residency in a very small town. Cheap insurance rates, vehicle licensing and no state income tax means being a SD resident saves me big $$$$. SD only charges 3% sales tax on vehicles. I bought my Moho in IL, while I was living in OK less than 30 days prior to going full-time. All the title and licensing was done thru the mail. I will have to go to SD every 4 or 5 years to renew my driver's license.

Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
1. Get CoachNet for towing/roadside assistance.

2. Can't help you there. We self-insure for that kind of stuff. They need to charge enough to make a profit in the long term, and we don't think it's worth paying their profit. I don't believe in service contracts for anything, really, no matter how hard the car dealers try to sell you one.

3 & 4 - Full-timers RV policy will include the liability and personal property coverage that you would normally get with a homeowners policy. We use FCIS agency for ours. Our coverage is actually with Allied Insurance. It's about $2000/yr for our KGDB.

5. Normal auto policy. Currently about $600/yr, I think.

6. Nothing special for Canada, other than you need to get a special declaration from your insurance company that your policy is good there, as I recall.

7. We also have an umbrella liability policy. If you can afford a King Aire, you probably need one of those as well.

2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Hi BucketList,

1) Coach Net or Good Sam are the two most popular. If you wait until after you purchase the Newmar, you can get a discount through the Newmar Kountry Klub (owners Klub for Newmar owners). Go to Join the Newmar Kountry Klub for details.

2) The coaches you are considering are high tech and complicated. A service contract is a good purchase. God Sam has an offering for this kind of service. If you purchase from a dealer, they will also have an offering. Understand what is and is not included. I prefer the all inclusive contracts. They are more expensive but eliminates the debate when there is a problem.

3) A RV Insurance Broker might be the best choice. Farm & City specializes in motor coach insurance. 800-331-1520 is their contact number. Consider and agree to value for your comp and collision coverage. The amount would be for the price on your sales receipt. Let them know you'll be full timing in the coach. The insurance is different for a full timer.

4) Same as #3.

5) You are correct. The standard auto policy will cover you.

6) #3 can answer that question.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner
BucketList, ( I hope that moniker is not because of any pressing issue)

You mentioned currently living in SoCal. If you plan on fulltiming, and not having a sticks and bricks during that time, you might consider changing your state of residence to somewhere else before buying.

Even if you keep the sticks and bricks, you could rent it and extablish residency elsewhere.

savings available on sales taxes, income, registration, insurance, etc. Some like SD, Montana, Texas, Florida.

Lots of other discussions on here about that subject.

2007 Adventurer 38T w/
sway & trac bars, Koni FSDs and SafeT+
2006 Jeep Liberty toad
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
bucketlist - By the questions you ask it seems that you do not have a motor home now and are going into the "big dog" category in one step. Do that carefully.

1. If you currently belong to AAA the least expensive thing to do is add RV to AAA. We had Good Sam for a while and then I got frugal. Adding to AAA is half Good Sam's price.
2. I do not know which is the very best company, but I do know the insurance we got for extended warranty is excellent. We have XtraRide. They have been super.
3...We are long time USAA auto insurance and everything else. USAA stopped doing RVs and sent us to Progressive. Progressive was reasonable.
4. Don't know
5. USAA is what we use.
6. Don't know but don't think so.

BTW we have never had to have our motor home towed so don't know how good AAA is. And we have never had damage to our motor home so don't know how good Progressive is. We have had lots of things go wrong on the Country Coach (mainly due to a lazy putz of a previous owner) and cannot say enough good things about XtraRide.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
Progressive is probably fine for an older King Aire, but I believe their limit was 500K, at least it was in 2008 when our coach was new, which was not enough, especially if you want replacement value.

We have Coach-Net for towing. Our King Aire was towed on our maiden voyage. The first tow truck they sent, looked at our rig and said "no way can I tow you, my boss would kill me", so we had to wait until a tow truck with the proper equipment was available. Proper equipment means big bucks. No damage, but the tow was 70 miles and was thousands of dollars and we paid 0. The problem ended up being a broken wire connector on the transmission harness. If you search our previous posts, you can find the story. To see the proper way to tow a big rig, see the pictures at the following link:

Flying, Diving, Cruising, and RVing! RV Tow

2008 Newmar King Aire 4562 - custom
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4
saydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
CoachNet and ONLY CoachNet for the tow. It's like $120/yr and includes all your vehicles - and I think even vehicles you may just be sitting in at the time of need. Spartan uses CoachNet for their warranty period (that is 3 years of automatic coverage on a new chassis) and you can bet there is a reason Spartan made that choice. CoachNet knows what to send for your big rig. AAA really is not in the big rig towing/roadside business. CoachNet will low-boy if asked. Otherwise heed what the "divers" above have to say about towing (front wheel lift setups are the best/only way to go and require exceptionally specialized - and mega $$$ - towing equipment). Proper HD towing is in the $200++++/hr range (both ways added up plus loading time). CoachNet understands this.

Farm & City rocks. I'm still with Progressive and it's a bit more than Allied (which F&C wants to move me to being the good agents they are). BTW - Progressive works directly with Newmar factory service if you need to make a claim and want Newmar Nappanee to do the work. F&C is always available as well. As always, SHOP the rig insurance.

I still run the same Geico on the toad that I've carried for the past 40years.

I do not use any extended warranty products, ever. Mostly because I am somewhat mechanically inclined and am willing to play the laws of averages. This is a personal choice. Search these forums for a myriad of threads on how to select (inclusive/exclusive, etc.)

Canada: You can usually print the Canada "proof of insurance" on the internet from your carrier - at least I can w/Progressive. I have yet to ever have to show it in Canada or the border but I always have it. You also need a passport. The border crossing either way is basically a no brainer if you follow the basic rules (like - do not have firearms).

Mexico: You are right that this is a whole 'nutter animal.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Over the last week I have been attempting to lower my insurance cost on my MH. This is on the liability and collision/comprehensive side. I know you are asking for more but this will at least help answer some of your questions. I currently have Progressive and have not had any problems with them and had one emergency tow which they handled very well at zero cost to me. More on emergency tow later. I have yet to decide what I am going to do to lower the cost because I am still investigating. The problem is the more insurance companies you get a quote from the smarter you get so I have had to go back to previous companies that gave me a quote and redo it. All four major companies have been real polite on the phone and have worked with me. I have included the price quote for my motorhome with almost the same coverage from each company. Yours will not be the same but use it as a reference. One thing that is interesting is that all four insurance companies will insure the MH if it is titled under an LLC from another state such as Montana. As with all the insurance companies the killer is collision and comprehensive because of the value of the MH. Some stated that I could use an agreed on value and others said it would have to be the NADA value. All four companies had the disappearing deductable based on no claims each year.

Progressive via by USAA insurance. Quote was $2038 for 12 months
Still working with them. One good point is that Progressive has emergency towing so you don’t have to pay the approx $120 a year towing service from a company like Coachnet or Good Sam. They also include Mexico coverage and Emergency Expenses. Here is something that helped reduce the cost. Normally the windshield breakage is covered under comprehensive so having a high deductable such as $2500 doesn’t help you at all with the cost of windshield replacement. If you lower the deductable to $250 or $500 the cost goes way up. Progressive has a separate windshield coverage insurance with ZERO deductable which is real cheap but you have to ask for it. Having this separate coverage allows you to raise the deductable on comprehensive to $2500. By doing that I lowered the rate by $200 for a year.

State Farm. Quote was $1850
Pretty good rate and they include emergency towing so that saves you $120 a year. You need to be careful with State Farm and make sure that you are being insured with their Mutual insurance because if you get their other one it is way high. The other major problem is you have to have a regular car insured with them before you insure the MH because if you only try and insure the MH then that becomes the primary driven car so the costs go way up. If you insure the toad with State Farm then no problem. They use NADA price on the MH. Will insure an LLC out of Montana but then you have to buy your insurance from a State Farm agent in Montana.

Allied through Good Sam. Allied is part of Nationwide Insurance Company. Quote was $1580
Will insure an LLC out of Montana. No Emergency Towing so you are going to have to buy that at approx $120 a year so that puts the real cost up at $1700 which is still good. They also have the glass coverage insurance that is not under comprehensive which is good. If you are going into Mexico then you will have to pay extra. They use Agreed On Price for the value or NADA. They look like a good company with a good quote

GMAC through Good Sam. Two separate quotes $1900 and $963 (read on)
Same coverage as Allied on everything. Will insure an LLC out of Montana. No towing so you need to buy that so add $120 to the quotes. Had separate glass coverage. Now the reason for the $963 quote. This was if you store the MH for around three months out of the year during the winter and they drop the Collision part of the insurance. This will not work with Full Timers and you have to call them when you store it and remember to call them when you unstore it. The other important point here is that the bank that you have the MH financed through allows you to do this. I am going to call back on this deal and double check that everything is correct.
Like I said I am still investigating and learning and these quotes are on my MH in my area with my driving record which is absolutely spotless and no claims.
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back when all I had was a car I joined AAA, Why, because AAA has the best roadside assistance program out there for cars.. Not so good for motor homes.

Coach Net is AAA for motor homes.. It's very simply the best.. This is not to say that they are perfect, there have been complaints, however in many cases the complaint is not with the service provider.

Example (personal story) I called them when I got this house stuck in sand, They called the local contract service provider, they told him 26,000 pounds, 37'7" class A motor home.. The truck they sent out was clearly a "Class C" tow truck (Too small) still between my strong mind and the truck's strong back.. We got the job done, Much to the surprise of the driver.. I know for a fact the service provider has big enough trucks, They just sent one too small, that's not Coach Net's fault, It was the tow company's dispatcher. (Which by the way is what I was at the time, different company though)

As for other insurance, There are many and my best recommendation was put into music many years ago: "My Mamma told me... To do the Shop Around"

Shop around (Title of song and advice)

Don't be taken in by the very first one (Line from song) read the fine print (Advice) before you sign,,, There are some good advertisements out there but when you break out the maginifier (or hit CTRL-+ on your browser) you find they have all sorts of restrictions and exclusions and excemptions to the coverage.. About the only exclusion they do not have (Which I'd like to see) is drunk/drugged driving.

I'd love to see an insurance company refuse to cover you if you are "OUI".
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
Thanks to all of you for giving me insightful comments and advice on this very important and sometimes complicated subject of protection. I have always been kind of an insurance freak and I do read fine print before i buy. All of your comments have pointed me in the right direction. I really appreciate all of you taking the time!!! Bruce

BucketList is offline   Reply With Quote

insurance, motorhome