Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Unhappy need help with slide-out

Hope someone can give me some advice. I have lost my husband and am trying to continue camping on my own. I have an Alpine 2002 38ft. with one large slide in living/dining and one in bedroom. The large slide will only go out about 6inches on bottom, top does no move at all, it seems "jammed" or something. Any ideas out there?

ColesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Have you removed any load lock type devices....or safety type locks. My former holiday rambler had two metal locking devices that were inside, on top of the slide room while in transport.

Hang tough, you will get this done! Solo is different but can be rewarding.

wkdwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry for your loss but glad to see you're carrying on with the camping! Feel free to post any and all questions you might have because we've got a lot of expertise available here ready and willing to help out.

I guess your big slide could be stuck at the top but I don't think there is usually much mechanical up there except for the slide locks. Do you know if you have locks. If so, are they automatic (push a button... usually near the button that operates the slide) or manual... some sort of pin or clamp?

I think we'll probably have some folks who have your make and model of coach reply with more specifics.

Best of luck and travel safely.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Hi ColesMom,
A big welcome to iRV2. I agree with wkdwitch's post. First check the easy and cheap solutions. There may be a manual locking device for the slide. There will be one on the front and back of the slide. First bring the slide in all the way. Then look behind the drivers seat at what would be the outside wall (when the slide is deployed out). Look from the floor to the ceiling. Is there a bar of some kind streatching the entire depth of the slide? If so, determine how to remove the bar. There should be another bar, in the same place on the rear wall of the slide.

Please post here the results of the search.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
Go over to the Alpine Owners section and post your question. No there are no locks. My first guess would be that maybe your hydraulic tank is low on fluid. It it behind the front wheel with a small square door. Occasionally ours will stick just a little - if you are letting up at the first sign of resistance (usually sticking rubber around the opening) then just hold the extend button a fraction longer and see if it will go one out.

Barbara & David O'Keeffe
Figment II (Alpine 2002 36 MDDS)
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where are you located?

If you are in the central California area let me know as I know a place that retrofits slides into older motorhomes and that guy can fix anything having to do with a slide out.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:32 AM   #7
[QUOTE=Arch Hoagland;750943]Where are you located?

I'm not familiar with your rig, but are you a member of either FMCA or Good Sam? Both have networks of folks who are glad to go out and help you. Posting your location would let members here who are nearby aware of your problem and they may be able to offer assistance.

2006 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Bob and Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:39 AM   #8
not familiar with yours i have a 2008 artic fox-silver fox it has no locks
whel extending slides (both) the bottom will move first maybe 8 inches then top moves out now im not telling you to hold the button longer but thats how mine works
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:48 AM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Location is Covina, Ca.
For those unfamiliar with how iRV2 works, click on the person's screen name - then "public profile" - then "about me"...............
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry for your loss.

Is the coach engine running at the time you try opening the slide?

Electric and hydralic slides can require alot of power from the batteries and if they are low and not being charged by the rv's motor or generator, that might be the issue.

If you are very unfamiliar with the rv's systems and their status, maybe a visit from a rv'ing friend or a helpful irv2'er would be useful. Could go over all systems, look for issues, help you check and test things....
2007 Adventurer 38T w/
sway & trac bars, Koni FSDs and SafeT+
2006 Jeep Liberty toad
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Since your slide works for 6" I would first look for hydraulic fluid being low. There may be a tank in one of the basement bays that have several hydraulic lines attached. The tank usually requires the fluid be about 1" below the top when all the slides are closed. Many use automotive Transmission fluid as the oil they prescribe. Please notice I said "may" each MH has different choices in the equiptment they install and giving a difinitive answer from a forum such as this is difficult.
Good luck. I expect you will soon find a helpful soul or pay a pro to get you started in the right direction.

Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote