Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Need info on Sleep number bed

Our coach has a slide out bed area that when closed is about 3 inches less than a full length bed (77" vs 80" if I remember correctly)

Can anybody out there tell me if, when the sleep number beds are not inflated, could the end be pushed in so that it would go in that shorter area?

Do you normally leave them inflated, or just turn them on when you go to bed?

How do people like the ones they have?

Thinking about getting one to replace our standard bed if it will work and would like to have that extra few inches, being 6' 1" tall.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
They make a short queen - read about it at CW here/ http://m.campingworld.com/aHR0cDovL3...bmRleC5jZm0%3D

The short is 60 x 75. I just took a quick look at the Premiere so can't tell you the other measurement options in there other lines. I can't even tell you the dimensions on ours which is a radius cut. What I can tell you is that you can't "squish it down to size". The air bags are within a more bed like framing of foam and such. It's way more of a bed than an air mattress. Even when the air is very low the size remains the same.

Very comfortable and have considered getting one for home. Since we're going to go full-time we don't spend money on anything anymore if it isn't for that end.

The air bed in our sleeper sofa is pretty comfortable. I think it's called a Queen Air. It is an air mattress in a padded cover that looks like a mattress but not sure I would want to full time on it.

Good luck.

Edit - when I tested link it went to their home page - just search sleep number.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info - I didn't realize it was air bladders in foam etc.

We have a king tempurpedic at home and love it but they are awful heavy and for sure won't squish down. Might have to look into moving the one small cabinet it hits.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have a RV King sleep number bed, it is 70 X 80, sounds like that would work for you.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Guess I misunderstood - and should have noted the dimensions were for a short Queen. I had assumed a king would have been too wide and pretty sure longer than traditional 80" length. My bad.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
We bought a knock-off called Bear Bed about 9 years ago from the internet. It is an RV specific queen bed and does not extend beyond the sides or end of our bed platform so you would not get the extra length inches.

It has the pumps for each side built into the mattress so there is no floor space issue.

We have to adjust to feel, not a number, using our respective controllers.

Since we go to higher elevations frequently we have to deflate the bed somewhat when heading higher.

The air bladders are contained by a foam box at the edges. You will not easily collapse the overhang end as you suggest.

There is a 1 inch memory foam on top of the bladders and then a quilted cover that zips it all together.

Our cost was about $900 back then.

We like the mattress because it seems to work well without a box spring and we can adjust each side to user preference. It seems to be very good quality materials. We do not full time.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
We brought our sleep number from home into our coach when we went full time. The end extends over the edge of the platform by about 3 or 4 inches. Our platform goes tight to the wall on the other side when the slides are closed. We have to prop up the end of the matress while traveling. We put an object underneath it to keep it up. We do not fully deflate the mattress but leave it at the sleep number we sleep with. We have had no problems doing this. I am 6'3" and need the extra length.

2016 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35DK towing a Chevy Equinox
cappelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We've had a Sleep Number mattress for many years, both in the stick house and the RV. We love it!
There should not be a problem with the bed being longer. As others have said, there is a foam frame around the air bladders so it will simply compress a little bit when the slide is all the way in but that can't hurt anything.
Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The one thing that's important when purchasing a Sleep Number mattress is: DON'T BUY THE ECONOMY MODEL! Winnebago started putting Sleep Number mattresses in their coaches several years ago as an option. The trouble was, they used the lowest priced model that Sleep Number made. When you and the wife get in bed, you find yourselves rolling into each other. (nice if you're newlyweds) The Premier model doesn't have this problem.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
We bought a knock-off called Bear Bed about 9 years ago from the internet. It is an RV specific queen bed and does not extend beyond the sides or end of our bed platform so you would not get the extra length inches.

Since we go to higher elevations frequently we have to deflate the bed somewhat when heading higher.

The air bladders are contained by a foam box at the edges. You will not easily collapse the overhang end as you suggest.
I don't consider the Bear Bed to be a knock-off. I had bought a sleep number a few years a ago, it was one of their top of the line ones, I hated it. Could not get it to be comfortable. I sent that puppy back within 7 nights.

I had someone here suggest the Bear Bed, I contacted the company, explained my problems with the sleep number, he suggested a model, I bought it, and absolutely love it. I used it in the house before I went full-time and now sleep on it in the MH. I do deflate it when traveling to the higher elevations.

I did special order my queen with a single air bladder since there is oly me and the dog.

Bear Beds make a quality product, much better than the sleep number.

Kaye
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with all the above comments. Especially NOT buying the economy model, go premier! CW carries the Sleep number with radius end ends, shorter king lengths etc. easy set up and great to sleep on. We also have one for the stick home. Search thru the Internet from CW as the price is generally better and many times you will save several hundreds of dollar with free shipping if a GS member.

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote