Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Need info please '05 Discovery vs '04 Alpine

Hi can I get some input here...thx.
Looking at 2005 discovery 35' CAT c7 11,000 miles asking 70k AND a 2004 Alpine 40' Cummins 19,000 miles asking 70k as well.
Comments appreciated. thx, mike

mgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Discovery is a Fleetwood with excellent factory service and parts available to you. The Discovery rides on a Freighliner chassis with excellent service and parts availability.

Alpine's manufacturer went out of business a few years ago+Alpines ride on a proprietary chassis with a hydraulic brake system vs. air brakes.

1998 American Eagle 40EVS

FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Go to the Alpine and Fleetwood threads and read away. Most of us don't have enough experience with both models to give a honest opinion. I have a 39' Discovery and love it, rides and handles well, 35' the wheelbase is geting pretty short so it might not handle as well. I've heard the Alpines are fine rigs, but I've heard some negatives about the hydraulic brakes
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #4

You would be hard pressed to beat the Alpine. I might be just a little bit bias....
Jim & Sandy
2011 Discovery 36J
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
I owned the 04 alpine 34. Great handling, comfortable. Had issues with refrigerator and sold it to get a 11 tiffin. If they were still in business I would definitely purchase another. The 34 had a very short couch and if you were over 5'4" only one person could sleep on it. We often drove 400 mile days with little fatigue.

It only 2 slides and the chair did not have seat belts. Lots of storage, powerful engine (we live at 4100 and often do to 8000+). Lots of fresh and waste water capacity. Entry into the cab with the placement of the TV caused many heat scrapes. Very comfortable driver and passenger chairs. We had the table and chair eating area-useless.

Good luck. We really enjoyed ours got the 7 years.
refncpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #6
Just to clarify, the Alpines have a great reputation...they just are not around anymore to provide any proprietary spare parts.

The Alpine forum here would be a great place for real owner feedback.
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Discovery Owners is a good place to get information on a D if you buy it.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
Alpine Owners Club
Hi Mike!

We own a 2004 Alpine 34 footer. It's our second coach (after a 26 foot Safari Trek). It's wonderful and we love everything about it. If you like dry camping, it's got nice large tanks (100 gal fresh, 100 gal gray, about 87 gal black).

I do agree with the others that you should spend some time on the Alpine Forum, here on iRV2, and look at what people have to say about their Alpines.

I don't know what part of the country you're in but we are in CA and there is a very strong membership in the two Alpine owner clubs.

Feel free to PM (private message) me for further info.

Oh, Google the Alpine Coach Association, look on that site for the documents area, and you'll find an original 2004 brochure posted there to enlighten you about the features.

Good luck!
Mike and Mike (Michele)

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Alpine Owners Club
Hi Mike,

I was in too much of a rush last night and should have gotten the link to the Alpine Coach Association for you. Here it is:

Alpine Coach - Technical Information

This is the page with the links to all the brochures and tons of technical information and manuals. Yes, the one poster is right, the manufacturer has gone out of business. But, when you think about it, almost everything except for the steel frame is made by someone else (HWH hydraulics for the slides and jacks, Dometic for the frig, Atwood for the water heater, etc.) And they are all still around.

The other thing, maybe the most important thing, is that the Alpine handles like a dream. We're talking one handed, relaxed driving. No scary winds pushing you sideways when a semi passes you, etc. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite trips is from Fresno into Yosemite National Park on the curvy Hwy 41. It's a blast to drive that road.

Alpine is considered a hi line (meaning higher end) coach. A similar high end coach might be Country Coach. I don't think the Fleetwood is in the same category.

Mike and Mike (Michele)

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote