Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Need Information

Hello, I am in search of a Class A motorcoach. I have camped on and off in tents and travel trailers. I have been looking at used motorhomes $100,000 and less. I have found several that I like with a lot of different floorplans and options. I realize its up to me to decide on the best fit for us. I am looking at 40ft and lower, diesel, with slides.
My question to long time coach owners is what options or floorplans work the best on the road? What options would you hate to be without on the road? Is there anything on your coach that you wish you had gotten or anything that you wish was not there?

Thanks in advance

Vtxbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #2

If you're going to be in colder climates a hydronic heating system such as Hurricane, Aqua Hot to name two.
Separate toilet room
Quiet A/C
As little carpet as possible.
IMHO diesel coaches are heavier and ride better

'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I were buying another DP, it would have...
1) less carpet. Maybe even none.
2) lots of storage and a pantry (after one year we remodeled ours to achieve this)
3) Better quality a/c system, both in terms of cooling and air noise.
4) A full, pull down, window shade for the windshield
5) all light exterior colors (cooler)
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
Here's the best investment you can make to educate yourself on MHs. Go to rv.org buy their product and read it ALL. That will give you an idea of what will fit your needs. Then go to oodle.com to search for your dream coach. It will search all over the web and send you daily updates on your search if you check the right box.. Good luck and happy hunting
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
The problem with the opinions that rv.org charges for is just that, they are opinions only and in most cases they have never even looked at, much less driven, the RV's they report on.
Personally I want to personally look at and drive what I might want to purchase.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #6

I'll second the light exterior colors , for cooling .
Be sure you walk through any floor plan , with the slides in , and reject any that don't allow access to the fridge.
DW, of course will have the final say on the floor plan, if you think otherwise ... don't kid yourself!
Also , for ease and cost of maintenance, you want a side radiator in a pusher. Several posts of owners being charged $500.00 to replace belts on a rear rad unit.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We'd always have two toilets.

Also we can access everything with both slides in.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
For us these things are important.
Tag axle
Side radiator
At least 400 HP motor
Aqua Hot heating
Four slides
Res fridge
MCD front windshield shade
06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
During our search for a motor home I began with the assumption that I'd never be happy with anything but a DP with bunches of HP and torque. After looking at all of the various coaches, and what we determined our use would be over the next five-years we decided to save our money and buy a new gas coach instead of a used DP.

My thoughts were mostly in how we will be using the motor home. My wife will NEVER consent to anything more than 2-3 trips per year under 2-weeks per trip. I go camping alone at least twice a year (I have done this for a while now) for no less then 7-days each trip...

It didn't make fiscal sense, for us, to plop down the money for a used 2008 or newer DP. So far, I am happy with my decision, however, I've yet to to go out on the 1,000 mile plus trip...after this season, I may well want to trade up...or perhaps I'll swap over to a Class C...I haven't yet gained full confidence driving a house down the freeway yet...
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The problem with the opinions that rv.org charges for is just that, they are opinions only and in most cases they have never even looked at, much less driven, the RV's they report on.
Personally I want to personally look at and drive what I might want to purchase.
I agree with Pumper9X9, if you have never owned a MH this is one of the best investments a person can make to help sort out the wheat from the chafe. So to speak. $150 is not a big deal in the grand scheme.

I used their database to help me with our search and ultimate decision to purchase our Dutchstar. Without the information from rv.org, I would not have had a clue.

You are correct in that they are just opinions but they are opinions of a group of people that know what they are looking at as opposed to a newbie that has no clue. It is a valuable tool in the decision making process. IMHOP Best $150 I have spent in a while.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
Many repeats from others that have responded:
-Educate yourself as much as you can on different options, and quality of coaches
-Decide what is important to you both. Mechanical and Interior, and make your own Must Have and Like to Have list to work off of.
-Tag (may not be important if going under 40')
-Side radiator
-Compression Jake Brake two or three stage. Or if Foretravel, retarder
-As much power as you can get. ISL or C9 minimum, but prefer ISM/X or Big Cat if available in the models you like.
-Lighter exterior color
-Less carpet, or as stated, none. With maybe exception of bedroom.
-Aqua/Hyro hot
-Three slide, with not front passenger slide. Between four slide and two driver side only coaches, I went with the two slide drive side only choice.
-CCC (Make sure the coach has adequate CCC. (Another reason to consider Tag)
-Livability is personal choice. Where you want the water closet, or a couch vs chair, etc. - is only something that you two can decide.
-Basement trays
-Good AC and Heating (40' for us, was a minimum two 15K BTU AC's, but three would have been OK at 40' too!)
-If going to boondock, adequate house battery capacity
-Interior storage space
-If you like the Newmar line, then see if you can fine a coach within your price range that has Comfort Drive

I'll stop here. But also suggest.

-Keep a reserve of funds for making the coach yours, and baseline maintenance catch up. If you have $100K to work with, target coaches in the $85-90K range.
-The following is again a personal preference and comfort level, with people doing what they feel is right. For us, we:
"Dropped years to remain within budget, while buying a coach in the upper food chain of quality." (Said another way, we preferred our 2004 CC Allure over say a same costing newer coach of medium quality.)
-If you don't feel you are qualified to, then pay for an independent full PDI.
-Pull oil and trans fluid, and send in for analysis

Go slow, kick many tires, drive many rigs, and have fun....
Best of luck,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #12
A few of the modern feature we choose this time that we wouldn't do without. Full tile floor, Power front window cover and shades. A residential refrigerator is the biggest improvement. Love the smart wheel, diesel power, air brakes and auto level. Things we miss the most is a 2nd bath sink.
Part of the fun of looking is you will walk in and know its the right coach. If you don't get the feeling then keep looking. You will always find something to improve and that is part of the fun. Good Luck
Kurt Baker, Debbie Glenn, and Lamar "Coton de Tulear"
VivaRose II "13 Ventana 3634" Rubi a Dingy "08Jeep"
CWA 9510 Retired
Vivarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
Thanks so much for the responses, some of my ideas were confirmed by you owners and I have some things brought to mind that I hadn't thought about. Thank you all for your input. We will keep looking and I hope we can find the perfect coach for us.

Thanks again

Vtxbiker is offline   Reply With Quote