Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #1

Need input from tag owners

Is there someone who could give me an opinion on their experience owning , driving , maintaining a tag it would be greatly appreciated. I currently own a 40' HR Endeavor , 400 ISL with single axle. The cross winds freak me out and one individual i talked to [that owned a big unit tag equipped] said he has owned both single and tag and would never ever go back to a single axle due to the ride quality and stability in windy conditions. I would like to hear from some of you that have owned both...........in my opinion you will probably have the best advice due to your experience. Thanks !
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Once you've had a Tag you'll not want to go back to a single axle. They do make the coach more stable in cross winds, they allow you to carry more weight, plus you have two extra wheels helping you stop when you have to do so quickly. The only downside to a Tag is there are two extra tires to buy when you have to replace them. In my opinion it is well worth it.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #3

Tony missed one other point you loose some bay space for tag The ride is worth it. I had several 40 ' gas and then Dp but the current 42 with tag is like running a trail it goes smooth straight and almost no effort to steer. It is heavier and the isl 400 works to get up to speed more than the cat c9 due to 40,000 lbs of stuff but we love it and would never go back
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I can drive ours as far and as long as I want without getting tired trying to chase it in the wind like on our previous non-tag coach. It was also a high end Monaco so I am comparing apples to apples, except for the tag portion. There is nothing wrong with non-tag coaches, not trying to start a war here, but once you have driven a tag you will know what I am talking about.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Old 09-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I've owned both and would have to agree that a tag has some "pros" as far as ride and wind-stability is concerned, but an Endeavor should handle well in a crosswind and not sure that going to a longer coach with a tag would make an appreciable difference in your perception. My present 40 ft coach does not have a tag and rarely notices a cross wind or passing semi. And some of the reputed advantage is probably just wheelbase and weight - a tag-equipped coach is always linger and heavier (that's why the tag is installed - to handle the extra weight at the rear).

Tag owners are universal in their praise, but I have to wonder if some of it isn't just one-upmanship. Mine is bigger than yours kind of thing. They don't talk much about the extra tire costs, the extra wear & tear of sideways drag, or the possibility of high-bridging (the tag lifts the drive axle tires off the ground when crossing a hump or dip. The drive axle tires just spin!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #7

I am one of the ones who has gone from a single axle 39' to a 42' with tag axle.

There is a tremendous difference in handling in my opinion.

I seemed to always have trouble when meeting other big rigs on 2 lane highways with the single axle coach. The tag axle virtually eliminates that as a problem.

You do lose storage area and have 2 more tires to maintain, but as others have said, you won't go back once you make the change.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #8

We now have a tag with about 18k on it. I agree with the points made, more CCC, more rubber on the road, 2 more brakes (can't have enough braking ability), better straight line drivability (think double axle trailer vs single axle) and would add a tag generally provides a better drive line angle for the u-joints, engine is further back from the drive axle. Down side is a greater tail wag angle, tire cost and a little less maneuverability. I would not go back.
2017 Ford F150 4X4 Toad
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #9

I have owned both and agree with the statements about handling and ride. The size of the footprint and the fact the back end has a box - four extended corners on the ground versus a straight line on the pavement gives you a much better hold to the road in the wind. Going over a curb cutting a corner short won't even be noticed with a tag as there is a wheel on both elevations. Keep in mind two axles keeps the rear end planted to the ground when you are going over uneven grounds - your front end maintains the height your rear end allows...unlike a single axle that is more like a tetter totter on the back axle and allows the front more up and down movement. I have a tag and would buy again over a single axle but it is always more money to buy and maintain.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
One comment on the storage bays. You lose storage if going from a 38/40 foot single axle to a 42' tag. On a 45' tag you get that storage bay back. Another reason for a bit more stability is weight. My 40' ISL had a GVWR of 34,600, the 45' DD has a GVWR of 49,000...lot more stable.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #11

I went looking for a tag axle coach for a couple of reasons. When coach manufacturers started adding corian, tile and slides they did not take the weight into account. My 2005 CC Inspire left the factory 300# under max weight on a 20000# rated rear axle-unloaded. With fuel water, propane, fuel and our belongings we were nearly 2000 over on the back. I could not put a lift on the rear nor could I stand 1000# tongue weight. I screwed up. I simply bought the wrong coach for the job and it cost me money. Now I can haul or tow what I want. The added benefit is the resistance to cross winds and the bow wave from a passing semi no longer pushes the rear end over causing me to correct. Before I flew for a living I drove semi trucks and no driver I know would trade a tandem drive axle truck for a single. My opinion only. Choose your poison.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX