Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I would only buy them if they were almost giving them away and they had never been installed on anything. They are already four years old and I'd replace them in three more years.
No they are three years old & never been mounted. Bridgestone doesn't make the R250's any more. New ones are R268 and best price I've seen is about $675 each plus sales tax. So the R250 are left over stock. For the price & how well the 2010 ones are on my Monaco I'm going to go for them.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #30
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
Also look at Sumitomo's. Ran a set for 7 years with zero problems.

Fred
i installed 4 sumitomos a year ago, rides better than bf goodrichs it replaced. willl do it again down the road.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD View Post
Has anyone used the BF Goodrich 245/19.5 ST 230 tires as replacements for the Michelin 245OR/19.5 XRV's if so what do you think?
Hi Bob,

We had different tire sizes, mine were 12R's, and I had the Michelin XZE*'s all around. About two years or so, two of them were damaged and I had to replace them. Michelin tire shortage timeframe. Ended up with two BF Goodrich ST230's. As they were new, with good Born On Dates, and the XZE's were just over 5 years of age, I had the ST230's mounted to the Steers, and XZE's were on the Drive and Tag. I set the ST230 for the PSI for the actual for corner weights, plus my 10% safety margin. (Which happened to be the same PSI as the XZE*'s.)

The ST230's were a softer ride over expansion joints, DOT's, and minor road imperfections then the XZE*'s had been. The XZE*'s had a bit extra meat on the side for abuses with curb side delivery! The ST230's were also robust, just not as robust. (That is my choice of words, for sure not industry or tire tech talk!).

IMO, I expect where as the ST230's were softer riding to me, that they would be firmer/harsher riding then you coming from the XRV's. As I understand it, those tires were designed for RV usage and had sidewall flex designed into their ride characteristics (Again, my choice of wording, not industry wording!).

The BF Goodrich ST230's qualify for the FMCA discount, as they are made by Michelin. I consider them a good tire.

$.02! Best of luck to you on your choice,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:48 PM   #32

Falken R109 Eco. Excellent, well made Japanese tire. Used to be called Outsu, one of the top tires in the trucking industry. Les Schwab gave me $100 trade-in for each of my six 295/75/22.5 tires which put my OTD price around $2500. They even asked why I was changing the old tires out as they were in such good shape!
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
tire replacement

Thanks to everyone who responded> I appreciate the information

2017 Forest River Heritage Glen Lite 34' Travel Trailer
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:19 AM   #34

I got 6 new 22.5 Sumo tires a year ago and after about 5k mile I am very happy with them. Paid about $2300 for all 6 to include mounting and balancing. Drove on Michelins for many years but had trouble with side wall blow out. And I was told that Michelins have a different circumference than other brands of the same tire. I won't go back to Michelins because I feel your paying for a name and because of the weak side wall.
chuckie0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:52 AM   #35

I know this is an older thread, but Tireman9 put out the list of the tiers for tires. I see that Double Coin is a tier 1 and was wondering if anyone has tried them? It seems when I search for my older 9R22.5's, I know oddball size, but I get the most returns on Double Coin and I see a lot of trucks running them out here in the desert heat. Just wondering if anyone has tried or knows much about them. Also a local tire store recommended Ironman to replace my older Goodyears.
Thanks for any info anyone has and enjoy the trips.
MPsSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPsSafari View Post
I know this is an older thread, but Tireman9 put out the list of the tiers for tires. I see that Double Coin is a tier 1 and was wondering if anyone has tried them? It seems when I search for my older 9R22.5's, I know oddball size, but I get the most returns on Double Coin and I see a lot of trucks running them out here in the desert heat. Just wondering if anyone has tried or knows much about them. Also a local tire store recommended Ironman to replace my older Goodyears.
I have never run them, however, my sons partner purchased a new three axle equipment trailer for hauling heavy specialty loads. He can legally scale 120,000# with the proper permits. The trailer came with Double Coin tires. After the third tire blew out, he replaced all 12 with another brand and no more tire trouble. As far as I knew, they are a low level third tier tire. I would never consider them for my coach.

I just replaced all eight 295/80/22.5 Michelins with Toyo M144's for $3625 mounted, balanced, and taxes out the door.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Hercules has a good tire for the price , go for 4 less expensive tires for the duals and a better brand for the steer tires. Good luck.
Hpyhilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:29 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPsSafari View Post
I just bought my coach last spring and the dealer had put Double Coin tires on it. I just put over 4000 miles on them in 90 and over 100 deg heat at highway speeds and not an issue. They ride pretty decent and are quiet.

I know a trucking company that has been using them and they really like them.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:02 AM   #39

I switched out my sidewall cracked Michelin's at 18K miles for Sumitomo's, formerly Dunlop, at $150 less per tire. Love them.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, tires