Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
i guess you have never torn down an engine that has been improperly stored. lots of corrosion compared to an engine that has been run consistently or properly pickled.
You are absolutely correct. The other half of the story is, i never will.

Jim E

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
dont blame you. lots of work, but its cool to see a bunch of nuts, bolts, and castings turn into a painted, running engine in four days. always enjoyed that aspect of my previous career.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Tires have natural lubricants built into them. These lubricants are designed to be released as the tire flexes when driven. If you leave them sit too long they can flat spot. If you just turn them a bit you'll rotate the flat spot but it won't be enough to release the lubricants so that they can work through the sidewalls. If you really want the best for your tires they should be driven for a decent period of time as much as possible.

The reason for the generator exercise is to burn any condensation out of the windings. The Onan manual requires running it at a minimum of 50% load for something like an hour or so every month. In fact, they have been known to deny warranty coverage on gensets that have barely been used.

Granted, if you don't do this every month your coach won't fall apart but if you do, things will last much longer.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #18

Birddogman- I can understand the desire for some authoritative studies. Probably not going to happen. As to tires, motor oil, gen exercising, etc. the accumulated wisdom presented here is sound and based on knowledge of types of problems that crop up w/stagnant vehicles once put back into service. IIWMI'd stay w/your routine, and consider the process part of the retreat. Best of luck with the care giving.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
If you leave them sit too long they can flat spot.
You would think all those RV's sitting on a Dealers lots in the same spot for months at a time. Would show up on a test drive and lose a lot of sales until the tires were replaced. Funny I have never noticed any complaints on flat spots from ones doing test drives of RV's on any forums.

My tires sit in the same spot and do not move for over 7 months a year.
Yet when I drive it. There is no noticeable vibration, bouncing, shimmy etc.

Only reason mine have no problem that I can see.
Is it is stored in a outside temperature that rarely see anything below 40.
Or Good Year G670's are built to withstand flat spotting and rivering stops flat spotting.
Triker56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
The reason for the generator exercise is to burn any condensation out of the windings. The Onan manual requires running it at a minimum of 50% load for something like an hour or so every month. In fact, they have been known to deny warranty coverage on gensets that have barely been used.
What does your Onan manual say to do if you put your generator in storage? What's the difference between storage and not using it for three or four months?

Jim E
Old 09-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #21

I'd be good with a road trip every 3 to 4 months. Since you are staying in the MH from time-to-time, running the genny as prescribed should be easy.

Best wishes on your situation. I was my wife's care-giver for about 9 months when she was quite sick. I hope not to have to do that again.

Thank God, she's now well.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
I'd be good with a road trip every 3 to 4 months. Since you are staying in the MH from time-to-time, running the genny as prescribed should be easy.

Best wishes on your situation. I was my wife's care-giver for about 9 months when she was quite sick. I hope not to have to do that again.

Thank God, she's now well.
Thanks for the kind thoughts. Unfortunately, it's been nearly a year now and my wife getting better is not an option (massive stroke).
Old 09-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Do I understand that some of you change the oil and fluids prior to winter storage? Service pricing here in AK: Generator $380.00, Cat C7 and Allison transmission $1000.00. I realize thats cheap compared to repairing or replacing either of the components. Just curious as neither the Cat nor the Allison dealer has recommended that to me.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote