Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Need More Driving Light power

My HR Endeavor is lacking enough headlight power that traveling in the dark is a challenge.

I really want to see if anyone can post pics of additional Driving lights or suggestions. I want to put some in the lower section of the front end..Figure relay can be used for low beam control and direct for main power to battery..

Any suggestions..I am looking at (2) 100 watt driving lights down low should really help..

Blacknchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #2

No help with picking out lights but have you actually measure the voltage at the light bulbs. Drag your shoreline cord out, connect the voltmeter to the ground lug and measure each wire that goes to the bulbs. Do not remove the bulbs for this test. Testing each side of the bulb will show if you may have a ground issue or a low power issue. Once you have those numbers and still need lights you can find a good source of 12 volts and a good ground to run the new lights. Use the voltage from the headlights to run a relay that will control your new lights.

Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
I would work it a step and least cost first at a time.
1. Make sure your lights are aimed well (mine weren't).
2. Consider brightest bulbs available. Silverstars are brighter in my experience. Forget the so-called xenon and blue bulbs. I found they usually burned out fast, and a white to slightly yellow light shows up brighter on really dark pavement or wet roads than the blue colors.
3. Are your low and high beams a single or two separate bulbs? If two, I can recommend wiring in a relay so the lows stay on when you hit the brights. I either had low only or high only. With both, I now have adequate light, so I haven't gone further on our coach.
4. I have had so-so results with driving lights on cars and trucks. Some were a spot beam and lit up distant stuff but I still couldn't see better closer up, and I always had to turn off the spots in traffic. Others were more of a flood light that were aimed closer in and did help some. I didn't have to cut them for traffic, and being low they also were more help seeing through rain and snow.
Just my experience. Hope you "see the light." The best solution for us is we rarely drive the coach after dark.
'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Blacknchrome......Hear is what I did. SOme of it may help you. Headlight Upgrade
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Hello, What I did was removed the fog lights and replaced them with driving lights. Then replaced the bulbs in the driving lights with 100 watt halogen bulbs. I also wired in a relay from the bright lights to the new driving lights. This way when i use the bright lights I also have the driving lights come on also. This has improved the night driving a bunch. Good luck
Just the Wife & Me and the Two Dogs!!
2011 Newmar Mountain Aire 4344 !!
450HP Cummins on a Freightliner Chassis !!
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Here is another link to a great thread on the common issue of inadequate headlight illumination Inadequate dim headlights

There are a couple more links on this topic if you search but I think between this link and Don's link you will find enlightenment
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:13 AM   #7
We just got a new fire engine and they mounted a Federal Q siren in the path of the headlight. KME put a driving light under the bumper, made by Hella, that lights up the world!
HTFireMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I replaced the bulbs in my projector style headlights with HID bulbs and installed the ballast to the circuit for the headlights. I then pulled the DRL relay and replaced it with a normal Bosch 87 style relay. Made sure the lights were aimed correctly and I can now see the road well.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:52 AM   #9
Blacknchrome, try dimming your dash lights. I used to own and drive a Kenworth with eighteen gauges and lots of other things that were lit on the dash. I replaced headlights, wasted money on high powered driving lights and so on. It was the dash lights that was the problem.
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
I had the same problem. YC1's reply is what I did and there was only 9.6 volts on my headlight bulbs. I mounted relays that are switched by the factory headlight circuit and ran new wire to the bulbs. It made a big difference in the amount of light.
2005 HR Scepter 38PDQ
skibum61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #11
I bought Hella e-code european headlights from rallylights.com, with 130W high beams and 100W lows. this actually makes the low voltage problem worse because of the amount of current draw and additional voltage drop across the thin wires and the switch. This could overheat the dash switch and wiring to the lights, so I bought a relay kit with heavier gauge wire that connects directly to the big low-voltage relay.

The e-code lights have a very distinct pattern and directions on how to aim them against a wall.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
And again, check the aim. You will be surprised at the difference. Mine were so far out you had to light a match to see if they were on. After adjustment against a brick wall at 50 feet they are just fine.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #13

Checked the voltage and found the plugs had some small rust and such on the pins...cleaned the female plug end...installed new bulbs which are 55/60...but Silverstars...very bright light...RV is a 2000 and the bulbs had a date of 2999 which makes them pretty old..

Also looked the headlight housings and they have some issues as well. Found that Endeavor use 1995-2001 Ford Explorer head light assemblies...for $99 I can but all new head lights with turn signals and run lights..

So I plan to do this as this also will help..

The voltage prior to cleaning the plug...10.2 volts...now when RV is running...12.9...

2015 Forest River Legacy....2 Harley's and one Mini Cooper
Blacknchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #14

Thanks for taking the voltage measurements. That helps in future responses. I suspect they are MUCH brighter now.

Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote