Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-29-2015, 06:43 AM   #15
X2 on Newmar. Feb of 2014, we bought a well cared 2003 Dutch Star. One owner, 3 slides and everything on our list but alum wheels. Had ,62,000 miles, paid low $60's. Even got the toad (2003 Jeep Liberty) included. Loaded it, started it, took off and 10,000 miles later, couldn't be happier. Newmar has been wonderful to deal with. As a bit of a "propeller head", I had some technical questions they really helped with. Sent plumbing /electronic /electric diagrams which are grwat to have. Owned and lived on an orphan boat. Info was VERY hard to come by, so I swore that would not happen again. Not saying orphaned rv's are bad, just my preference. You can find a good rv in your price range, just do your research, and be patient.

Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Monaco has one of the best chassis ever made, they also have one that is problematic. They are also back in business-just like GM and Chrysler. I like the hoop structure which is monocoque, so feel a little more secure behind the walls. Had Winnebago DP in past but like the handling and design of our current 02 Diplomat.

2002 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD, Avalanche toad, Glastron MX175 , X5 BMW, Almost enough toys, 3 dogs. 1 longtime wife(48 yrs)
POPPASMURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
We bought our 1998 Monaco Exec. 11 years ago and are still happy that we got the upper end MH. Only typical MH issues and love the quality of build.
Jack & Dianna Purdue
1998 Monaco Executive 40'
2007 HD Ultra Classic- summer toad
stich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #18
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think Fleetwood would always be at the top of the list for a gas motor home, but no so much with DP's. They change them around a lot, often have some funky interiors and are usually underpowered unless you buy a more expensive model. ....
I would disagree about "underpowered", depending on what your usage is. My Excursion 35 B with the 300 HP Cummins ISB seems to do just fine towing our 3700 pound car up 5% grades and it also gets onto the highway smartly. Would I prefer a 360 or 400 HP and a beefier tranny? Probably, but it wasn't there at my price point for a new coach. I'm just getting started in the DP arena, but so far I would see a bigger motor only in terms of using more fuel and not much else (probably not a lot different)

As far as the interior goes, the excursion won't stack up to models that sell for twice the price if you compare model years together. But it has some pretty decent features for something at the low end of the DP price scale. Full coach paint, decent name brand hardware (such as the inverter) and an overall decent build quality (relatively speaking, see my other posts about build quality).

This MH is a weekend warrior that will occasionally be pressed into one or two week vacations. If I were retired and traveling extensively or full timing, I'd probably be considering a few year old "premium" coach with upgraded amenities, maybe a 40' TAG etc. of course, you see plenty of woe is me stories from people with Tiffins, Newmars too.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:03 PM   #19
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
If you want to look at quality, there is Country Coach and Foretravel, and then there is everybody else.

There are a number of Prevost and Newell owners that might not agree!
canman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:01 AM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
We bought our Dynasty 4 years ago with a budget similar to yours.

We came at from a different direction. Because there are a myriad of floor plans, many which would work. It simplified our search to decide which chassis options were required then look at the floor plans in those models. Airbags suspension is a given, do you want air leveling? How about pass through storage? Storage slide trays? Towing options, 5k, 10k, 15k? Side radiator vs rear. Test drives. The real deal in a DP is for the driver and the co-driver to converse with one another. Do you like the ride. Some are firm, some are soft. Where is soft mushy and firm harsh? That is for you to decide. Any of the diesels in a DP will do the job, C7/9/12/15, or ISB/ISC/ISM/ISX and their older mechanically injected twins. A Tag axle adds stability and load capacity. It also adds complexity, expense and may impact the cubic feet of storage available.

Does it have two or three A/C's? The Generator must be on a slide out, preferably powered. Are you willing to live with propane furnaces, like a travel trailer, or do you want Hydronic Heat and Hot water?

I had the No vote over mechanicals, my wife had the No vote over the inside. When we both said yes then we both talked about the finical aspects.

Enjoy your search and take your time!
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #21
Originally Posted by canman001 View Post
There are a number of Prevost and Newell owners that might not agree!
For what you can get in a Prevost or a Newell in his price range, I think most folks would agree! If you add at least $150,000 to his price range, that is a different story.

USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote