Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #1

Need Opinions on brand of used DP to purchase

Ok, so I posted a month or so back about DH wanting to move up to DP from our gas coach. I was hesitant but from all the responses here, you all have convinced me to move forward.

Ok, so now, would like advice on favorite brands, likes dislike and pros and cons of your favorites or not so favorites. We will sell or trade our 38' bunkhouse MH for probably something older to get a DP. We have an 07 with 31,000 miles. We like Fleetwood, but not 100 % sold on purchasing that particular brand. Would like to stay around $60,000 mark as that will keep us from having another huge payment. This would be our first DP, and second MH. Will more than likely purchase one more for retirement, unless of course this next one meets all our needs and wants lol!

Thanks in advance for input and help. Safe travels everyone!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think Fleetwood would always be at the top of the list for a gas motor home, but no so much with DP's. They change them around a lot, often have some funky interiors and are usually underpowered unless you buy a more expensive model. The Fleetwood American line is top notch, but you would have to go pretty old to find one in your price range.

My choice in your year and price range would be a Monaco product. We just returned home from a trip yesterday and the majority of the DP's on the road were still Monaco's, especially Diplomats. That says a lot since they've been out of business for a few years.

If you can find a 2005 Diplomat or newer, it will come with the Cummins ISL 400, currently the most popular and best motor home engine on the market.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think Fleetwood would always be at the top of the list for a gas motor home, but no so much with DP's. They change them around a lot, often have some funky interiors and are usually underpowered unless you buy a more expensive model. The Fleetwood American line is top notch, but you would have to go pretty old to find one in your price range.

My choice in your year and price range would be a Monaco product. We just returned home from a trip yesterday and the majority of the DP's on the road were still Monaco's, especially Diplomats. That says a lot since they've been out of business for a few years.

If you can find a 2005 Diplomat or newer, it will come with the Cummins ISL 400, currently the most popular and best motor home engine on the market.
I agree with Don for the most part but, like Don says they have been out of business for a few years.
My pick would be a Newmar DP, (2005-2007) for many reasons but primarily quality of build and the fact Newmar is still in business and provides excellent customer support for all of their products, regardless of age.
In your search, compare a Newmar to any others and you will begin to see the difference. Put all the glitter and glitz aside and pay attention to how it is put together.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #4

with two previous posts!
Old 03-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had two Newmars but just bought a Country Coach which, in 3000 miles, has blown the engine and is costing us $19,000 out of pocket after a $10,000 "goodwill" warranty adjustment from Cummins. The ISX 650 has a known defect and Cummins has produced a new head and valves to fix. I certainly hope it does fix it. Two failures in the same engine in less that 45,000 miles is not a good record. Now wishing we had bought a Dutch Star 4375 instead.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #6

I'm of a slightly different mind, when shopping for used with a budget of $60,000, its more important to find one that was lightly used and well cared for; rather than who's brand is on it. If I was lucky enough to find 2 that were both in excellent condition, barely used, clean, had complete detailed maint records; then I might consider the brands if different. Every brand is subject to serious defects.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #7

Do you need or want slides?
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
I'm of a slightly different mind, when shopping for used with a budget of $60,000, its more important to find one that was lightly used and well cared for; rather than who's brand is on it. If I was lucky enough to find 2 that were both in excellent condition, barely used, clean, had complete detailed maint records; then I might consider the brands if different. Every brand is subject to serious defects.
Have to agree.

Brand is fine as long as you get the floor plan that works for you. I think the fastest thing you will get tired of is inconvenience of the layout.

I notice in the original post you say there is the possibility of this being the last one. It will not be if you are just buying an interim coach based on manufacturer.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
If you can find them look at National DP's, TradeWinds, TropiCal, Islander. We have a 2001 TradeWinds and have really enjoyed it. Yes, National was one of the first to fold back in 2008/2007. As you visit lots look around and see how many National DP's or even Gasser's are sitting there, none usually. People get them and don't get rid of them. From 2006 back should fit in your budget. BTW, quality wasn't the cause of the demise of National, it was money. Check out the National forum and see how many complaints there are.

Love our floor plan with two huge closets.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Make a list of the must-haves and prioritize them. When we were looking to purchase, the 400 hp was at the top of the list along with opposing slides for the extra space. Then aluminum wheels then things like propane stove. Somewhere on the list was an oven. We found a 2005 HR Endeavor with most everything on the list except the oven. We put simple things that we were able to change on the bottom of the list like new tvs. The perfect RV doesn't exist. There are always things that will need to be change to fit your life style. Get an RV with good bones and is safe. Then go enjoy it!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:39 PM   #11

We have a 1999 model Newmar Dutch Star. We bought it used in 2003 with 29,000 miles on it. We have been full-timing since 2004 and currently have 89,0000 miles on it. We have had no extensive/expensive repairs on it with the exception of the Microwave/convection going out four years ago. We have had routine maintenance "issues" but nothing more than you would expect. We did replace our jacks a couple of years ago. They put in four re-build units that cost bout $ 1,400 about three years ago. We got the same warranty on the re-builts as on new ones at 1/4 of the cost.

Over-all we have been very happy with our Dutch Star.

We have one "super-slide on it with no issues at all. We are ecstatic to have the extra space.

We have a Cat 300 HP engine on a Freightliner chassis.

We have been truly blessed with our selection!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:04 PM   #12

If you want to look at quality, there is Country Coach and Foretravel, and then there is everybody else.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:46 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingcrazyShirley View Post
Ok, so I posted a month or so back about DH wanting to move up to DP from our gas coach. I was hesitant but from all the responses here, you all have convinced me to move forward.

Ok, so now, would like advice on favorite brands, likes dislike and pros and cons of your favorites or not so favorites. We will sell or trade our 38' bunkhouse MH for probably something older to get a DP. We have an 07 with 31,000 miles. We like Fleetwood, but not 100 % sold on purchasing that particular brand. Would like to stay around $60,000 mark as that will keep us from having another huge payment. This would be our first DP, and second MH. Will more than likely purchase one more for retirement, unless of course this next one meets all our needs and wants lol!

Thanks in advance for input and help. Safe travels everyone!
As I read the forum threads I have found that all brands have problems. The bigger issue is are they resolved quickly and responsibly? In many cases the manufacture leaves the owner in the cold.

Most of my experience is with Winnebago. This is my second of their product. My '05 Vectra 40FD was a nightmare. This 40U is a much happier experience for us. With that said, the only repair satisfaction we have received was at the factory facility in Forest City, IA.

Most of us will agree that you need to choose a floor plan and what you want with it and then find coaches that fit this spec for the price that fits your budget. At that point you can get functioning opinions from actual owners of the model. Just know that there will always be lovers and haters of the same RV model and year. Your work is cut out for you.

I hope your find what YOU want and can afford and I hope it will be a good RV for you.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:26 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Newmar, Tiffin and maybe Winnebago. These are all great manufacturers and in that order. I've owned 2 Winnebagos, great coaches. Newmar is a great company. I have been very happy with them and the coach. Deals are out there. You just need to take the time to look. If a deal sounds too good to be true, it is usually a scam so be ware.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase