Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-16-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Need Reccomendations

I have a 1987 Fleet wood Bounder, Overall it is in great shape and I was wondering whether to trade it in or fix it up.
The RV mechanically is sound. Good solid 454 with only 72,000 on it. Motor cooling has been upgraded to a Larger Radiator and a duel fan system for better cooling Interior nice, heater works good, Aie OK, rebuilt ONAN generator last year, everything on RV works. Awing could be replaced. Now for the BUT, There are some chassis issues. The Cruise is in-op, the wiper controller needs replacement and it needs a new instrument panel, it works but the electrical strip is shot and I have no dash lights. Recommendations?

smaurer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 05:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First off ... welcome to IRV2 and a new set of friends! I'm sure your post will draw some recommendations. From my perspective, given that you have a 30-year old coach, a good question to ask would be 'what are your longer term goals.' Are you doing a fix-up to use the coach for another 10 years - or to sell at a best possible price and purchase another - and so on.

Good luck and safe travels ...

2015 Itasca Ellipse | 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Lv2Roam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #3
Hi and welcome. I agree with luv2roam2. A lot depends on your future plans. If your going to use it infrequently for a close outing, then I say keep it. If your going to be using it a lot and putting a lot of miles on it, you might consider upgrading. Another factor is your mechanical ability. Personally, I like older or vintage but we don't put a lot of miles on eigher MH as they are used for "cabins". Keep us posted on your decision and good luck!
'74 F350 44K,'79 11' Mitchell Camper, MINT All Original
'79 Mitchell 25' Class C, 460 46K, MINT All Original
'97 Rexhall Aerbus, 60K, 460, F53, MINT All Original
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
THe Bounder is a good coach and you can certainly spend a little or a lot keeping it up and running. As the other posters have noted, it all depends upon how you want to use it - weekends, long trips or live in it.

Welcome to the forum and look through the other posts and get some ideas what others have done.
Colorado '15 Winnebago Forza 34T w/MKZ hybrid toad
Gormleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
My expereince

I had a 1997 Motor Home. Everything worked inside. New tires a couple of months before, and all fluids changed. We use a motor home 3 or 4 times a year for trips of 500 to 3000 miles to travel Utah, Idaho, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. You get the Idea. Well In Idaho had the unit Vapor Lock on off ramp at Twin Falls ID. Towed to Garage. They wanted $1500 to replace fuel pump. Next morning after cooling down over night we went on our way home. had to stop again when it started to vapor lock. when it cooled down we made it home. I then started to figure what it was going to cost to make repairs and put the unit in tip top shape. I figured that to fix everything including a new roof was going to cost between $6000 to $7000 and no guarantee that the vapor lock problems would be solved. (460 V-8) I decided that it would be better to take a $4000 loss now than to spend maybe $7000 and and have over $25000 invested in a Motor Home worth $15000 at the most. I traded it in for a newer motor home, that we have driven about 7000 miles with no problem. Not having to worry was worth it. BTW the dealer sold our old motor home for $12000.

PS Like everyone says it depends on how you are going to use it. I needed something that was more dependable for the trips that we take.
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 31D, Steer Safe, CHF, 50 Amp Conversion, 3000 Watt Inverter, Toad is a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport. Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, Apollo Braking System
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club

Thanks for the speedy replies, you have given me a lot to discuss with my wife, If I do decide to rework the RV at what point do you recommend I stop putting money in it. For Trade in? For Travel? I will let you know what my plans are. Again Thanks

smaurer76 is offline   Reply With Quote