Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Need skirts for winter?

We are new to the RV game and winter is coming in Michigan. We are thinking about using a ADCO RV cover and I have read all the threads with the pros and cons.
What I was wondering is does anyone put skirts around the base to keep out the snow? Does it hurt anything if you get snow blowing under your class A.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #2

If you have it winterized and do not need to use it in the winter,let it be. It will be ready for you in the spring. No need for skirts

Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #3

Lived in Michigan for 51 years and had 4 motor homes and this is what we did. We covered it "Once" and never again for several reasons.
1. Heavy snow then freezing rain weighed down the adco cover and not only ripped the cover but cracked the A/C cover
2. When we went to leave for Florida in January ..... 12 inches of snow on the cover had to be removed first.
3. the snow and ice wont do any harm its the ultraviolet light that does the damage.
As for a skirt around the bottom I didnt do it but a neighbor did and it became a home for rodents, which moved up into the coach and had dinner on insulation and wireing.
I never covered again.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I was concerned about the skirts making a great home for all sorts of animals.
What to you do to protect against the ultra rays?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrv View Post
I was concerned about the skirts making a great home for all sorts of animals.
What to you do to protect against the ultra rays?
We took our cue and used the advice of another couple who owned a Winnebago. He got up on the roof bi-monthly and sprayed and wiped down everything with 303 including the fiberglass roof itself. He also applied it to other surfaces on the coach like moldings and tires, etc. He used a NuFinish for the vertical surfaces quarterly although NuFinsh claims it protects for a year. They never had their coach under cover and after six years when they sold it last year, the buyer swore it was garaged because the roof and everything on it looked practically brand new.

We now try to do the same thing with the same two products. We buy 303 by the gallon at a spa-supply outlet and NuFinish at Costco. I know not all like NuFinish because it does contain silicone and Winnebago supposedly recommended that polishes with silicone not be used. But we called CDI, Winnebago's paint contractor, and they said it was okay and the notion the silicone is bad for paint has now been debunked by most experts. I'm not sure if that's been proven or not but if the initial paint contractor said it's okay, then we're okay with it too. NuFinish is widely available and is reasonable in cost.

Both products claim to protect against UV damage.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
303 is good on just about everything. Protect All is good for waxing and has UV protection also. I use a high quality car wax which is a polymer wax.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all for the good information. With winter getting closer, it is time to do the prep work.