Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #1

Need some advice:)

Hi everyone, the wife and I need some advice on a trailer we will need to pull behind a 40 foot 2008 Damon Tuscany 4072. We would like the trailer to pull a 2013 Subaru Legacy, which is 15.6 feet long, and a 2012 Harley Davidson Electra-Glide(not sure of how much space the Harley will take up). The wife requests that the trailer be of the enclosed type and I request that it have a side door near the front that I can drive the Harley up into to. Our original idea was to just purchase a motorcycle lift for the back and pull our car with all wheels on the ground. But we later found out that the Subaru Legacy can't be pulled that way. It must be trailered. Soooo, I was wondering if anyone on the forum had a similar situation that could give advice on a certain brand of trailer, and maybe what length would be good. I was hoping a 20 foot might do it, but may have to opt for a 24 footer. We are hoping to start full timing in our motor home in the next couple of months and just want to make sure we do it right and safe the first time ( we're newbies if you haven't already figured that out, lol ) Thanks for any advice!
Mark
Mothership66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #2

The first item on your checklist is the hitch capacity of your MH. The hitch is probably rated for 10,000# maximum (a few MH's now have a 15,000# hitch). That of course entirely depends on how much your MH actually weighs when fully-loaded ready to begin a trip.

The actual hitch capacity is the maximum your proposed trailer-fully loaded with your "stuff" weighs, or 10,000# whichever is less.

If your proposed trailer does not fall within these weight limits you should expect shortened MH drivetrain longevity.
If it's within this weight limit you may proceed with calculating what length, and how to load the trailer questions.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #3

Thank you for the advice on the hitch capacity. I'm assuming that number will be located somewhere near the hitch itself. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow. Thanks again!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you can pull it this would be nice.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:36 PM   #5

We also have a 2008 Damon Tuscany. We currently pull an open 20' foot car trailer carrying one of our antique cars and sometimes a mini golf card on the tail. My husband is on the hunt for a 24" enclosed trailer. His preference would be all aluminum but not sure it's worth the extra dollars considering how often we use it. If we are not going to a car show we tow a min-cooper on a car dolly.

Good luck,

Kim
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:48 PM   #6

Well
For both of you that might be looking for a trailer, all you have to do is, look in the classifieds of this forum. There's a 24 footer, enclosed in there.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #7

Thanks for the tip! Also a ham - KG7ZML
Haven't been active for several years but considering getting a shack put together for the MH.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #8

Thanks for the info! Wish we could dolly ours. Finding out these 24' enclosed ones are EXPENSIVE! The search continues...
Old 05-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #9

Ok, the hitch capacity of our MH is 10,000# with a tongue WT. of 1,000#
Some other numbers I was able to find are:
GVWR: 32,000#
Cargo Carrying Capacity or CCC: 2,806#
Gross Combinaion Weight Rating GCWR: 42,000#
GAWR front: 12,000#
GAWR Rear: 20,000#

I'm looking at a 24' enclosed trailer that weighs 3,850#
Weight of our Subaru Legacy is roughly 3,500#
Weight of Motorcycle is 900#

Now I just need some guidance in figuring out if it's within limits and safe

Thanks for any help,
Mark
Old 05-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothership66 View Post
Ok, the hitch capacity of our MH is 10,000# with a tongue WT. of 1,000#
Some other numbers I was able to find are:
GVWR: 32,000#
Cargo Carrying Capacity or CCC: 2,806#
Gross Combinaion Weight Rating GCWR: 42,000#
GAWR front: 12,000#
GAWR Rear: 20,000#

I'm looking at a 24' enclosed trailer that weighs 3,850#
Weight of our Subaru Legacy is roughly 3,500#
Weight of Motorcycle is 900#

Now I just need some guidance in figuring out if it's within limits and safe

Thanks for any help,
Mark
The weights you listed totals 8,250#, assuming you do not overload the MH you will be within the towing capacity and Gross Combined Weight Rating. However, the only way to know for certain is to obtain actual weights for each axle of your MH, actual weights for your Subaru and bike , and actual weight of the trailer (not advertised weight). and you must use a weight distributing hitch on your trailer to stay below the 1,000#hitch weight limit.

Another factor, although most often not an issue is total length, many states have a total length limit of 65'
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 05-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The weights you listed totals 8,250#, assuming you do not overload the MH you will be within the towing capacity and Gross Combined Weight Rating. However, the only way to know for certain is to obtain actual weights for each axle of your MH, actual weights for your Subaru and bike , and actual weight of the trailer (not advertised weight). and you must use a weight distributing hitch on your trailer to stay below the 1,000#hitch weight limit.

Another factor, although most often not an issue is total length, many states have a total length limit of 65'
Thank you for all the help on this. Having a much better understanding with what to do now. It's definitely a lot to think about...
Old 05-05-2016, 10:40 PM   #12

You're welcome! I try to offer helpful suggestions, from what little I think I know, about how to do something safely for the family. If I don't think it may be safely done, I say that- and explain IMO-why.
You might find this weight calculator helpful, you'll need to think outside the box-so to speak, because it's for a tow vehicle and trailer instead of a MH and trailer. The results should be the same though.

Tags
advice