Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
AU

Need some advice breakdown 99 WindsorI

I will make this quick I posted on the Monaco owners forum here with a little response., however we are stopped short of our destination due to a warning light on our 99 Monaco Windsor with a Cummins 8.3 if they Allison 3060 transmission.

I noticed irregular shifting coming out of a red light and being under powered going up hills toward the North Georgia Mountains. I pulled over fairly quickly after I realized they warning was repeating. However it was not a particular system that warned , just a general warning light. . While going up long gradual upgrades we had much more problem with maintaining speed then we do in a western mountains. as I came through a stop light accelerating from a dead stop the transmission shifted abruptly and did not sound normal. No transmission lights were on it seemed to shift manually fine and when I shifted the gears and the engine RPM's lowered I had no issues. A warning light just gradually came on and gradually went off a few times. All other gauges indicated totally normal conditions.

I found a Home Depot a lot and pulled in and we are spending the night here I check my oil and it is in the low normal range. the coolant level is normal. I tried to find the dipstick for the transmission and could not see it. I did however do the check using the keypad for the Allison transmission. It indicated the level the transmission fluid was low. I have had no previous issues like this and my one response I received suggested I may have purchased some bad fuel this morning.

at this point I am just planning to spend the night in the slot and check on things in the morning if I have to be towed I will however we were planning a week long trip and hopefully I can't change filters and add transmission fluid and we can keep going.

if you know about this engine and transmission and can offer any advice I would be very grateful.

thank you very much, mark

PS please forgive all the spelling and grammatical errors as I'm using text to speech on this Samsung phone and it is far from perfect!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #2

Fuel filter ?

Old 11-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AU, where are you stopped? I live in NE GA and can recommend a shop or a mobile guy if you need one.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Change the primary fuel filter.

When you remove it see if there is a build up of tar/slime type substance on the outer holes. You may have algae buildup in your tanks.

If you have a build up of slime/algae use a shock treatment of Biobor Algaecide or equivalent. You can find this at most truck stores or Marine supply stores.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #5

On that chassis the trans dipstick may be under a floor plate in the bedroom. I would top that off first and recheck it those early chassis were a bit strange as they did not do a lot of talking between computers. What i mean is there is no VCU so the Brakes Trans and Engine all talk but there is no vehicle controller for them so you can get weird signals. Another issue known to them was the Low Coolant probe would lie when the connections corroded. If you pulled up trans level on the pad you should of also checked it for codes. The trans can and will derate the engine under certain conditions. Which would cause low power.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
AU

Jeff , I am in Jasper GA , Heading to bed after I look under the bed for the tyranny dipstick !
Old 11-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
AU

Jace James , I will definitely look for the buildup !
Old 11-09-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
AU

Maniac , Thanks for the info. . Have a lot to check tomorrow !
Old 11-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #9
AU

Found some great help from Jerry Parks at Parks Truck Center in Ellijay Ga. One of his mechanics came to the rescue and installed the fuel filters right in the Home Depot parking lot. He then followed me to the Garage . The Tranny checked out ok ' , so we made the run on up to Blairsville without issue. Had no problem keeping up with 2 of my friends on the hills.

A big relief ! Thanks for the great advice !
Old 11-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Thank you for the update of your fix.

A good demonstration of the need to carry replacement fuel filters while traveling.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
This is great news but make sure to follow through with the Algaecide treatment as the Algae is still in your tanks and your will plug more filters.

Also my try to use Startron for Diesels with enzyme treatment, after the algaecide kills the algae the Startron will eat the bugs. You can find this at Tractor Supply, farmers coop, and/or a good Marine store.

Load up on fuel filters, read you Cummins manual on how to change them, not hard, takes 20-30 minutes.

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice