Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2015, 05:01 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Need some advice on upgrading

We currently own a 1999 HR endeavor DP one slide, our first motor home.

We wanted to follow our grandson so sold our house and now are full timing was not in our original plans

I love the rig/diesel, but the coach seems small and something is wrong needing to be fixed to often, thought amount extended warranty.

We are wanting to get a newer rig with opposing slides, but due to amount we can afford <100K. we were considering 1. Diesel 2006-2008 and 2. possibly going gas instead of diesel would allow us to get a newer unit, My family told me diesel, diesel.

So would I be better off staying with the diesel getting an older model?

Is the extended warranty worth while, this is one of the reasons for getting a newer unit, besides the slides. to help pay for some of my numerous repairs and if so is the 500 dollar deductible the best choice.

I understand diesel vs. gas might be preference, mine is diesel but for those that have traded/upgrade have some better insight. thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #2

Stay with Diesel its about double the MPG as gas I have an older ALEGRO WITH THE 454 gas AND IT GETS 6 mpg I am going to swap in a 5.9 Cummins diesel

Old 06-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would investigate the options of an extended warranty, specifically the fine details. For the warranty to pay a claim complete documentation of preventative maintenance must be provided. Also, understanding what is covered and what is not is important. There are some things that aren't covered, although common sense would tell you they should be.

You might be better off budgeting 80K for a newer RV and keeping the rest in reserve for maintenance.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I would investigate the options of an extended warranty, specifically the fine details. For the warranty to pay a claim complete documentation of preventative maintenance must be provided. Also, understanding what is covered and what is not is important. There are some things that aren't covered, although common sense would tell you they should be.

You might be better off budgeting 80K for a newer RV and keeping the rest in reserve for maintenance.
Good advice, I would also suggest putting a few hundred per month aside in addition to the 20K and finance the extended warranty yourself. I used to be in the equipment sales business and I can tell you we made good money on Extended Warranty.
As far as Gas or Diesel, neither one are cheap to operate but the Diesel will get you there more comfortably. My preference is Diesel.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #5

Two other questions occur to me. How big are you looking and how much do you travel?

If you do not travel much then I do not see a diesel advantage. It does not matter when it is parked. OTOH the chassis and drive train cost a lot more.

If you want something over 35 ft you will probably have few choices in gas. Around 35 and under you will get more choices in gas.

If you are going with anything more than a few years old I agree with avoiding the extended warranty.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks all on the extended warranty info al.l I currently living in the home, enjoy longer trips, Florida, Canada maybe Alaska. I like 38+ feet sounds like diesel to me.

Gene
Old 06-15-2015, 05:55 AM   #7

I wasn't aware you could get an ESP on an RV older than 15yrs.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice