Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #1

Need some clarity - Colorado registration

My wife and I are looking to buy our first motor home and actually found one in New York. When looking for cost estimates to register and pay all taxes/fees in my current state of Colorado I am unable to get a clear idea of the costs. My understanding is that sales tax is computed on the original MSRP no matter what I actually pay for the unit. This seems insane to me. By my rough estimate, a MH that I am looking to pay $48,000 for would cost me around $6,000 in taxes in fees. Do I understand this correctly or have my drugs worn off

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I think your drugs have worn off. I've never seen a state that charges sales tax on anything other than the actual sale price. The registration fees, on the other hand, could be based on the original value of the vehicle. But they're usually on the current value as well. This might help:

Fees and Sales Tax

Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I think your drugs have worn off. I've never seen a state that charges sales tax on anything other than the actual sale price. The registration fees, on the other hand, could be based on the original value of the vehicle. But they're usually on the current value as well. This might help:

Fees and Sales Tax
Thanks for the link. I live in a different county but their fees schedule is basically the same. If I read the info correctly, The sales tax is 7.85% of the selling price or $3,768.00 and the registration fee is .045% of the MSRP or $2,160.00. I guess at $100,000 as I could not find the actual amount. The site says their are additional fees that they will tell you about once you go to the DMV. So, by my calculations, to buy a $48,000 used MH and bring it back to Colorado, I will spend north of $6,000. That's ouch in any language.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #4

I just registered my new to me MH in Douglas County this past November. I paid $328.16 Prior O.T., $984.48 Own Tax, $199.86 Lic. Fee, $39 Road Fee, $32 Bridge Fee for a total of $1512.50. Your mileage may very depending on the tax rate where you live. Original Taxable Value (MSRP I think) was $218,774.
tomk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk52 View Post
I just registered my new to me MH in Douglas County this past November. I paid $328.16 Prior O.T., $984.48 Own Tax, $199.86 Lic. Fee, $39 Road Fee, $32 Bridge Fee for a total of $1512.50. Your mileage may very depending on the tax rate where you live. Original Taxable Value (MSRP I think) was $218,774.
Tomk52,

Thanks for the reply... Maybe I just can't read anymore (possible)... So, help me out please. The unit I am looking at would cost me around $45,000. Based on the info in the link below, I calculated almost $6,000 in fees. Where am I going wrong??

Adams County, CO - Official Website - Fees & Taxes
Old 01-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have to pay Colorado tax that wasn't collected by the PO. That is a sales tax and is only paid when first purchased.
Each year following you will pay the Ownership tax registration and license fees.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearguy View Post
You have to pay Colorado tax that wasn't collected by the PO. That is a sales tax and is only paid when first purchased.
Each year following you will pay the Ownership tax registration and license fees.
The unit I am looking to buy is in NY state. Dont I still pay the sales tax in Colorado?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes when you license it here in colorado they will collect it. the guy in NY will not or should not charge any sales tax.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearguy View Post
Yes when you license it here in colorado they will collect it. the guy in NY will not or should not charge any sales tax.
So my numbers would seem correct. If I pay sales tax in Colorado on a purchase price of $48,000 my sales tax would be around $3,700. Based on 7.85%
Old 01-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I know we hate to hear it but your numbers sound right to me for what its worth
Old 01-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I remember my car registration renewals were outrageous when I lived in Colorado Springs. El Paso County. 400-500 per year on a 2-3 year old Cadillac. That was back in 1990-1991, so I can't speak about today, I just know it's very expensive for registration in Colorado.

Vehicle registration renewal here in Texas is + - 60.00 per year, the MH is about 100, no state income taxes, but we pay for it, believe me......

Property taxes on my residence here in Texas are about $3,000. In Colorado Springs they were/are only $600-$800 for about the same style/size home.

Anyway, I'm feeling for you, hope it isn't that much. Good luck and keep us posted.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Registration fees and license fees go down each year as the vehicle ages. Our past Gov.(Ritter) raised them recently to repair the roads supposedly. Its the darn sales tax on a used unit that gets taxed each time it is sold that seems a bit greedy. At least you only pay that once with your coach until you purchase another. I look forward to renewal each year to see how much they drop. Simple pleasures I guess.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
So my numbers would seem correct. If I pay sales tax in Colorado on a purchase price of $48,000 my sales tax would be around $3,700. Based on 7.85%
Yep your thinking about it right and pretty much correct. We live in Adams county and when we bought our RV for $10K I think we were about $1K poorer by the time DMV got through with their share. So ball park about 10%.

It gets better after the first year but last year's was still $127 for a 1994 that we paid $10K for in 2010. My car which is a 1999 was $72 last year.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
When we bought the Adventurer the taxes were at 7.00% PST and then $18.00 per year to register the unit and then insurance on top for about $783.00 annual insurance. So the transfer tax was based solely on the amount I paid for the unit and then the insurance is based on what I was willing to pay to get a decent replacement value for my provincial insurance.

Whomever buys the unit from me will have to pay the sales tax again but only on the amount they pay for the unit. Elsewhere I am hearing there are luxury type taxes that are charged out annually but I cannot confirm this as being true. Any takers??