Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #29
srh

Newmar Owners Club
bamaboy473: Too bad it didn't work out for you. Yes, what you listed was way too much for my comfort level to tackle it. There are certainly no shortages of coaches for sale. I'm sure you will find something better that meets your needs.
I'm told some of their good consigned units are sold on the spot as their people who watch their listing very closely. You can always put a deposit down contingent on your inspection. All the Best!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
bamaboy473: Too bad it didn't work out for you. Yes, what you listed was way too much for my comfort level to tackle it. There are certainly no shortages of coaches for sale. I'm sure you will find something better that meets your needs.
I'm told some of their good consigned units are sold on the spot as their people who watch their listing very closely. You can always put a deposit down contingent on your inspection. All the Best!

Just like with boats, cars, etc. there's a lot of personal enjoyment received from the searching process. That said, I'm becoming flabbergasted with the extent to which selling dealers outright lie about their coaches.

Those of us that have time on our hands cast a wide net, and will drive 500 miles to see something. I'm an active buyer and have had deposits on 4 units in the past two months, and was dis-appointed with all four coaches because they had at least $15K worth of faults that hadn't been disclosed.

I'm thinking that out of town buyers usually buy a one-way ticket in order to pick up the coach they think they're getting, then they're cajoled into accepting a unit complete with many faults.
Always buy round-trip; it's the safest way to spend a few hundred dollars, for in case things go sideways.

I've been told that a salesman named Sam, at PPL in Houston, is a good guy. I'll make contact with him in order to see what happens.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #31
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Just like with boats, cars, etc. there's a lot of personal enjoyment received from the searching process. That said, I'm becoming flabbergasted with the extent to which selling dealers outright lie about their coaches.
You are so right and those will be the kinds of seller it wouldn't take much to turn around and tell them "...good luck with their next buyer!"

Those of us that have time on our hands cast a wide net, and will drive 500 miles to see something. I'm an active buyer and have had deposits on 4 units in the past two months, and was dis-appointed with all four coaches because they had at least $15K worth of faults that hadn't been disclosed.
If a seller does not disclose any shortcomings, especially in a coach more than 3-4 years old, that in of itself raises a red flag with me

I'm thinking that out of town buyers usually buy a one-way ticket in order to pick up the coach they think they're getting, then they're cajoled into accepting a unit complete with many faults.
Always buy round-trip; it's the safest way to spend a few hundred dollars, for in case things go sideways.
Good practice! Another good approach to tell sellers that your basically have a free ticket to turn around and go home without the purchase if you do not like what you see!

I've been told that a salesman named Sam, at PPL in Houston, is a good guy. I'll make contact with him in order to see what happens.
There is a gentleman in the Consignment Division of PPL that I have had lengthy conversations. From I have heard of him about PPL, I wouldn't be too hesitant to give them a try.
All the best!
Old 09-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #32

Nice thread and glad you weren't taken to the cleaners. I bought my new couch from them in Jan 2015. Absolutely no pressure sales. Even though they did their own PDI. Its a good thing I had read several threads before I put the cash down, I got an independent inspector (which they had no objection to) who found several items that weren't hooked up or running properly. It was worth the cost to me for his services plus I got to stay there two more days on their dime along with all hook ups and free use of their vehicles (four days total, they were so slow prepping it for sale). I put lots of mileage on them (well I did have to check the area out, lol). I was generous though and always returned them with a full tank of gas. I didn't have to but I still did. I guess they should thank me since their vehicles are covered with their logos and such (free advertising). But dang I never knew Cowboy stadium was so HUGE. I'm ready now to go back to them and inspect their Class C's and buy one if I can find a floor plan that I like.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #33

I live in DFW, and bought my new unit from MHSRV end of 2011. Went very well, been back for a couple of warranty items, all good. I look at their website all the time and always looking for reason to wonder around down there if needed. The good used units usually go very fast. FYI, Bamaboy, I grew up in Birmingham, and went to Auburn.
jr83carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:03 AM   #34

Just about anybody that's dealt with MHSRV has had a good experience, IF...and I mean IF...it was for anything besides a consignment coach.

That's what's so perplexing. Why build a good brand and then allow one division to destroy consumer confidence?

P.S. I have yet to hear from the salesman or from the Consignment Manager about the transaction. Leads me to believe that this is SOP for them.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:02 AM   #35

Bamaboy, not sure if you have looked at North Trail RV in Ft. Myers, but we just got back from picking up a used 2014 Bounder 35K from them. Very good purchase experience and believe we got a solid deal. The coach was everything they said it was. Steve Rowin was our salesman.

Good Luck......
Old 10-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #36

We bought our 04 Southwind from MHS in Febuary and had Laslo from Quality Mobile RV Services do a PPI on it. It was a trade-in, not a consignment, and MHS put new tires on it and serviced the generator. Very reasonable price and the PPI was very thorough and also reasonably priced.

Very happy with both.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
We bought our 04 Southwind from MHS in Febuary and had Laslo from Quality Mobile RV Services do a PPI on it. It was a trade-in, not a consignment, and MHS put new tires on it and serviced the generator. Very reasonable price and the PPI was very thorough and also reasonably priced.

Very happy with both.
It's been said a couple of times on this thread that MHS is very good with their own (owned) coaches. They are 180 degrees different with consignment coaches, other than their photographer goes to great lengths to show the coaches for what they...are...not.

IMO, the photographer providing an accurate representation of each consignment coach would resolve things a lot.

IF consignment salesmen were honest about condition (as opposed to, "I'm not sure", "I'll check into it", "We think so", "I can't see anything else that needs fixing") then buyers would get a fair impression of the coaches.

The problem lies with the Manager of the Consignment division and his/her business ethics.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic57 View Post
Bamaboy, not sure if you have looked at North Trail RV in Ft. Myers, but we just got back from picking up a used 2014 Bounder 35K from them. Very good purchase experience and believe we got a solid deal. The coach was everything they said it was. Steve Rowin was our salesman.

Good Luck......
Thanks, Medic. I checked with North Trail on the way to see a coach at PalmRV; just down the road. Another case of a dismal lack of ethics from Sales Manager and sales lady.

We found a private sale up in Chattanooga. It was 99% of what the seller said it was, so we're greatly in favor of private sales for used coaches.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Thanks, Medic. I checked with North Trail on the way to see a coach at PalmRV; just down the road. Another case of a dismal lack of ethics from Sales Manager and sales lady.

We found a private sale up in Chattanooga. It was 99% of what the seller said it was, so we're greatly in favor of private sales for used coaches.
So, is the 2003 Eagle your new coach?