Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #1

Need some Fulltimer and Fleetwood feedback

Hi all!!

Great site you have here. Looking for some feedback on the Fleetwood coaches. We are looking at a new Discovery 40G with the desk/office option. Within 2 to 3 years (once the kids are gone!!) we will becoming fulltimers. Both of us will be working from the road so the office is a needed option. What I would like to know is if anyone has any feedback on the Fleetwood line as well as any pointers one might give to new fulltimers. We presently have a 2000 National Seaview that we have started a remodel on which I will post in a different thread. We are looking to purchase the new coach sometime next year. That will hopefully give us time to get adjusted to the new coach before we hit the road.

Thanks in advance and look forward to your replies.

Jeff
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjeeper View Post
Hi all!!

Great site you have here. Looking for some feedback on the Fleetwood coaches. We are looking at a new Discovery 40G with the desk/office option. Within 2 to 3 years (once the kids are gone!!) we will becoming fulltimers. Both of us will be working from the road so the office is a needed option. What I would like to know is if anyone has any feedback on the Fleetwood line as well as any pointers one might give to new fulltimers. We presently have a 2000 National Seaview that we have started a remodel on which I will post in a different thread. We are looking to purchase the new coach sometime next year. That will hopefully give us time to get adjusted to the new coach before we hit the road.

Thanks in advance and look forward to your replies.

Jeff
azjeeper

I have a fleetwood product that I'm quite pleased with. Hopefully some Discovery owners will jump in and give you their opinions.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #3

Look I own a 2006 fleetwood discovery 39L It Is a great rv I love the floor plan, It drives really nice but I have to tell you that I have had a couple of problems with It, the last one being the rear diferential that went on It but again the dif Is not made by fleetwood that could happen to any other rv, also I was on a ten day vacation the last two weeks and wile that time one of the bedroom slide the motor went on It also the electric steps the motor went, this two items went bad while camping, and one thing that I have had a couple of them Is water leacks on gaskets and windows It was never from the roof, But I have to say I still love It and It Is a great unit and I fell like you get a lot for your money on the fleetwood units, but this Is my opinion maybe you will find somebody else telling you something else, good luck. Joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2008 Fleetwood Providence 39R. Love the full wall slide. If you like the floor plan, I don't think you will go wrong with Fleetwood. My only gripe is with the Jacks. Understand they have changed in the new models.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #5

Hi, I have a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery 37V that I bought used this year with 23k for mileage. I has a 5.9 Cummins with a Banks Powerpack on it, and so far I have been very happy with it. This is my first MH although I have owned several TTs and while I looked at new rigs, I thought a used unit would be a better investment. I got a decent price on this rig and have been able to go thru and replace tires, belts, hoses, water pump, etc. without much regret. At least I know what I'm driving on. I also plan on attending Camp Freightliner in SC to learn more about the rig. If I like fulltiming, my next MH will most likely be a new Fleetwood product. Good luck in your choice...
James
Old 09-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #6

IMHO that model of Fleetwood would not make a good full time coach. And I like Fleetwood products. I like the RVCG grouping of motor homes into vacationing / snowbird / and full time. Get their publications to see which motor homes they put in each. The primary criteria is how sturdy the house systems are. If you full time you need cabinets, counters, toilets, water pumps and so on that will stand up to constant use.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #7

B Bob's opinion

B Bob, while I respect your opinion, I think that you are being a bit narrow-minded. I read a posting of a couple who full-timed with a very inexpensive, entry-level TT (their words). According to them, they put 35k miles on this rig boondocking over all types of terrain and it held up very well. I have also read many complaints from owners of rigs built within the last 10 years that have had nothing but trouble and poor quality spanning most manufacturers and models. I believe that a lot of your particular model's success as a fulltiming rig falls into how well the owner maintains it and how the original QC at the factory was. I think by now most of the factory bugs are out of my rig and its up to me to take care of it and keep up with its needs like any other "home". Just my thoughts...
Easyrider6
Old 09-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback so far guys please keep it coming. As for the quality of the Discovery class coaches it is about 4 times better than my National coach (cabnets flooring etc). Does anyone know if any other manufacturer offers the office option similar to the 40G? Being able to close the office doors is a big plus as my better half will be teaching classes from there.

Thanks again for the feedback so far!!!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
My 1st post here. 2 months ago I purchased a 2004 Fleetwood Revolution. I was looking to purchase a Discovery, but found a Revolution at the same price. When I bought it, she had 39K miles on her. The quality of this Fleetwood product is very impressing. I have a 8.3L Cummins diesel pusher. The motor has sufficient power, but as always we would like more! This is our 2nd motor home, but so far it is our favorite!

With the current economy, purchase a manufactures product that hopefully be around!

Good Luck!
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #10

Fleetwood

[QUOTE=clifftall;702480] azjeeper

We have an 03 Discovery 39S and have been quite pleased with it. No major problems. To us it has been great value for the money. One piece of advice I have (no matter what kind of RV you are purchasing) involves the "walk through". Try absolutely everything!! If it is 110 outside try the furnace, etc. Don't let them rush you through. We would have avoided all the little bugs that came with our coach had we done this. Lesson learned.
Lots of suggestions re fulltiming - we've been at it 7 years. If you have specific questions feel free to email me at sharswhitaker@aol.com
Once you purchase your Discovery, join the Discovery Owners International group. Their web site has an outstanding owners forum which has been a lifesaver to us several times. They also have great rallies each year where you can attend seminars and discuss any issues with fellow "D" owners.
RVingLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:05 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I think a Discovery will do just fine for you. However, one of the more upscale Fleetwood models will have better grade upholstery, flooring, cabinets, etc. that pay off in fulltime use. Take a look at Providene/Excursion and Revolution to see if they offer similar floor plans and are within your price range.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Be sure and read the manufacturers warranty pertaining to full-time us of the RV. In the past, Fleetwood excluded full-time use.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I'm in love with it's sister - the 40X floor plan.

Fleetwood just "launched" their 2011 lineup (on their website now). The 40G is only available in the Discovery lineup. Other than some purely aesthetic changes, the engine in the 2011 is a Cummins 8.3 ISC with 380HP. The 2010s are powered by a Cummins 6.7L (350 HP). Not sure if that's a factor for you or not.

The sticker price went up quite a bit from '10 to '11 too, so if you time it right, you might be able to save a bunch on a '10 model.

I think there is a Discovery owners group (on Yahoo?). Maybe someone else can chime in with a link for that, since there likely will be some full timers that can chime in with real-world experience on those particular models.

Good luck with your search!
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm Jealous! Oh to be able to do full-timing!
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote