Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #1

Need some info on shore power

1994 Bounder, 7000 onan genny. I have a few questions, I hope someone can answer.
1. When genny is running I can operate both AC's, but while plugged into shore power (30amp) I can only operate 1 AC, Why????

2. I have a connection (adapter) which plugs to my RV power cord and the other end is a 110 connection. Can I plug into my home outlet (110)?

Please help.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #2

To runs 2 air units and all the other outlets and such you probably would need 50 amp. You do not state whether you go from 50 to 30 amp service on shore power. Since you do know about reducing down to 110 I will answer that part of your delimma. You will be able to run everything but the air conditioner on 110 house current. Very easy to overload 110 current from the house depending on what that plug is servicing

Old 07-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior17 View Post
1994 Bounder, 7000 onan genny. I have a few questions, I hope someone can answer.
1. When genny is running I can operate both AC's, but while plugged into shore power (30amp) I can only operate 1 AC, Why????

2. I have a connection (adapter) which plugs to my RV power cord and the other end is a 110 connection. Can I plug into my home outlet (110)?

Please help.

Thanks
1) assuming your saying the MH is factory 30amp wiring then its wired that way from the factory so u dont overload the small 30amp system.That,s why the newer units are all 50 amp.3 times the capacity amp wise.And thats only if your also plugged into 50amp service.Your 7000 onan can handle 2 AC units.Get a guy thats knows what hes doing and u can change it so u can run both AC on your 30 amp system but you will have to carefully monitor what else your using at the same time so u dont cause overloads and start blowing breakers and overheating wires etc
2) its really 120V connection and yes u can use it but your home outlet is usually only 15 amps so wont run a roof AC if it trys to start up when its HOT .Goodenough for charging batterys or watching TV etc That,s assuming If you dont have any house loads on the designated RV plug in.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #4

#2. Yes you can plug your RV into and standard 110 socket. Be advised that you will not be able to run a lot of things. You might be able to run most things except AC, microwave, or hw heater if electric.

#1. A 7000 watt genny provides enough power to run both AC's and most everything else in the RV so it is wired to do so. A 30 amp circuit is designed to handle one AC at a time. New units may have a power management system to allow both to run but most older units did not. You should have a switch that toggles between front/rear/both AC units.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
#2. Yes you can plug your RV into and standard 110 socket. Be advised that you will not be able to run a lot of things. You might be able to run most things except AC, microwave, or hw heater if electric.

#1. A 7000 watt genny provides enough power to run both AC's and most everything else in the RV so it is wired to do so. A 30 amp circuit is designed to handle one AC at a time. New units may have a power management system to allow both to run but most older units did not. You should have a switch that toggles between front/rear/both AC units.
Your wrong ,U can run a micro wave as they all run on 120V 15 amp breaker system and your hot water heater will also work etc "BUT" none of Them at the same time.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #6

I do have a switch that goes from one ac to another, thanks everyone for all that great info, I have been restoring the RV for over a year, getting her ready for paint.

Thanks Again
Old 07-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbat View Post
Your wrong ,U can run a micro wave as they all run on 120V 15 amp breaker system and your hot water heater will also work etc "BUT" none of Them at the same time.
Glad you can and that the 15 amp circuit you are plugged into is not also being used for something else that is drawing power. Just trying to emphasize that you may run into issues when plugged into a 110 at your house as some circuits at my house are 20 amp, some are 15.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
You have a 30 amp rig but odds are the generator is 50. Somewhere in your RV is a switch, may say "Front/Rear" may not say anything, flipping this switch will change which generator works on SHORE power. For Generator power set it in the FRONT position... Since the generator can provide more than 30 amps (like 45) it has a second line that runs JUST to the rear A/C, that's the 20 amp breaker on the generator. Power to the Rear (Even if you switch the switch) runs through that breaker by the way.

There used to be a company that made a "Break out" kit, this kit consisted basically of a 20 amp "inlet" and a 20 amp cord (Actually I think they used 15 amp plugs and inlets) and a circuit breaker.. You disconnected the rear A/C from the Generator, wired the cord end of this kit in it's place to the generator and hooked the A/C to the breaker/inlet end.

I made much the same kit from parts myself. This way your REAR A/C is independent and using a 12ga extension cord you can plug it into the 20 amp outlet on the park pedistal.

It works, Rather well. NO GFCI issues either.

Quote:
First: Some technical corrections. That TT-30 plug on your RV is a 110 (really 120 volt) connection. So when you say 110 (meaning 120) volt.. Yes you can plug into that, that's what it plugs into.

However what you meant was 15 amp.. That standard wall outlet with the parallel slots is a 15 amp connection.. I have seen them be other voltages but it's 15 amps.

And yes you can plug into it, You might even get lucky with ONE air conditioner OR the microwave but that is pushing it. Do not run water heater on electric off that outlet.

If the outlet has a "T" shaped neutral then it is a 15/20 amp outlet (on a 20 amp plug the neutral is turned 90 degrees so the two blades look a bit like this -| )

That will run one A/C (Assuming it's breakered at 20) just fine.

NOTE that outside outlets on modern homes are GFCI protected, SOME RV's do not play nice with GFCI outlets.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #9

a/c = about 18 amps with some taking 30 to startup.
30 amp connection good for 1 a/c and after running about 10 more amps
as others have stated 15 amp household outlet could be breakered at 20 amps and a/c could run, let it run 30 minutes if it can and feel the plug, you will find it warm to touch and will get warmer as it runs, when it melts would be a good time to shut down a/c. and open a window for cooling.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Just me, but I've never seen 2 AC units on a rig that WASN'T setup for 50 amp shore power. And frankly, it makes no sense to have 2 AC units that will only run by generator, thus breaking up the peace and quiet of wherever you're parked... I'm curious if the OP is using a 50-to-30 amp adapter?
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #11

PlayItForward,

By way of information, our first 3 motor homes were 30 amp units that ran 2 ACs without a lot of problems. It was necessary to manage your electrical usage for everything else. Our current coach is a 50 amp coach, but we have been forced to run on 30 amps a couple of times. Again no problems running both ACs. Together they pull 23 amps, then manage other electrical usage like running the refrigerator and the water heater on Propane. If we need to use the microwave, we place the bedroom aC on high fan only until we're done, then switch the AC back on.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I can only operate 1 AC unit on 30 amp - I have ~9 amp consistent and persistant load, and usually I peg to 30 amps starting the one unit. Steady state operation is around 23 - 27 amps with one AC including the background load - can not possibly get another running on 30 amps. Might have something to do with the capacities and age of AC units I am running.

You can connect to a standard 110v 20 amp circuit, but with limited capacity. We have plugged into the family members house outlets we were visiting on occasion for the overnight, but as described above, no AC in that capacity.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
We found a simple solution. We installed a 30 amp service box and breaker outside. Now when we return from a trip and park our RV for cleaning purposes, we can run just about everything.

The box with breaker was $30 on eBay. The 75 feet of 10/3 with ground (direct burial) was also purchased off eBay for $70. The electrician charged us $50 to wire it up to the Panel box.

Running the RV on a 110 VAC, 15 or 20 Amp circuit did not supply enough current.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #14

Apparently, your genset is capable of produces 2 50A legs/lines of 120VAC power, a total of 100A, (just like a 50A shore power receptacle/outlet).

A 30A shore power outlet supplies only a total of 30A.
That 30A is barely enough for 2 roof airs, without any other 120 VAC usage, (inverter/charger, refer, WH, microwave coffee maker, etc).

Tags
power