Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 07:34 AM   #1

Need some opinions-please help

we are in the process of buying a used motorhome. at this point we choosing between 2. the first is a very nice holiday rambler with a slide and a 275 cummings. 1998 38' endevor and want approx 30,000. 31,000 miles on engine and 1000 on gen.
it is very nice condition and clean.

the other is a 2002 Super coach by Coachman 38' for about the same money.
has the 330 cat with 38,000 and only 100 hrs on gen. has a slide and is and little banged up on outside but in pretty nice shape. it also has some water stains on the ceiling material but they say it had been fixed.
i have heard from a few folks the 275 cumming is a little weak for the 38 foot coach.
any thoughts on either of these would be greatly appreciated.. thx mike
ekim1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I do not know anything about either of these coaches, but I would take the one that is in the better overall shape. Or get an estimate on the 2002 year coach to repair everything and inspect the roof. Just say in.
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:14 AM   #3

Given the age and the mileage on both, that means they sat still a lot. Sitting and not running can be as damaging to equipment as running a lot. You would be wise to get a thorough inspection done to make sure the proper maintenance was performed to keep not only the engine, but all the equipment in the coach running.

You didn't mention tires. Again, if they haven't been changed recently, you are looking at new rubber all the way around. Look up some of the tire discussions on this forum.

Does the coach with the water stains have a rubber roof or a fiberglass roof? That vintage most likely has a rubber roof. Depending on how they were stored and maintained, you could be looking at a new roof. Just the material for the roof is around $800. And, there is a significant amount of labor involved. At minimum, you want to get on a ladder and inspect the roof.

Stains on the ceiling do indicate water damage. My original ceiling showed just a couple of stains, but the water damage was significant when I started taking things apart. An inspection might turn up some of that.

As to the engine power - I have no experience with the smaller Cummins. My Cummins is the 330 with a turbo-charger and it has plenty of power on my 40'. Maybe someone else can chime in on the Cummins 5.2L.

Both coaches are well known brand names and parts should be readily available. Just keep in mind, you are buying a house on wheels. It's a little different than shopping for a car.

Best of luck. Hope we see you on the road soon.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #4

just an opinion .... keep looking .... first one ... engine too small ... you'll be hatin life
Second one .. interior water stains ... you'll never know whats up there without some pretty substantial cost .......
Take your time ... you'll find the right one .......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote