Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #1

Need some suggestions

I am in the shopping stage but will be buying a class A in a month. I have looked at several and landed on a Holiday Rambler and Thor in my price range of $110,000 or less. I want your opinions as to whether a bath and half is worth loss of space and money. Also, is it better to purchase a low mileage pre owned and get more for my money. I don't think I can afford a diesel so are Gas motors OK. I probably have more questions but this would be a great start

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hi & welcome to iRV2.

The answer to your bathroom question depends on how many people will be using the bathroom. There's just the 2 of us & we've had 1 bathroom for 17 years so 1 is not an issue. I've also prefer having a mid-bath so the wastes are gravity dropped into the tank so I don't have to deal with the noise, extra water usage & issues with the electric flush units.

The new vs used is as old as the hills. What you want to do is read the threads on those brands in their respective forums to get an idea on owner satisfaction. You will get as many opinions as there are members here. Having bought new 3x & worked through the new RV issues for the 1st years, I'm looking at gently used/well maintained for our next coach.

Good luck.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think anybody else can answer that for you. Sure, an extra toilet & sink can be handy once in awhile, but so can a lot of things. Meanwhile, you gave up something else to have that extra 1/2 bath. There is no free lunch in an RV - space for one thing MUST reduce or eliminate space for something else. So what are you trading for it, and which is more important to your enjoyment?

I can think of a couple reasons why a 1/2 bath might get a higher priority: (1) more people in the RV, either part time or always, or (2) a "weak bladder" in one or more of the occupants.

Example: We remodeled our coach to remove a lovely but extra vanity sink and replace it with a large pantry. My wife doesn't primp all that often and we still had perfectly usable full bath and a large mirror, so she felt the large and easily accessible storage space was a much better use. Your mileage may vary...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:02 PM   #4

With just two of us, I would never give up space for a half bath.As far as the gas coach,
I find it rides and handles fine after I did some improvements to the suspension.I can also do all my own service.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
$100,000 will get you a great used dp.
Get the most coach you can get and find out if it's the life your looking for.
I didn't want the coach to be the reason we didn't like traveling.
Turns out we ended up with the perfect coach for us, and love traveling in it!
Old 08-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Hi & welcome to iRV2.

The new vs used is as old as the hills. What you want to do is read the threads on those brands in their respective forums to get an idea on owner satisfaction. You will get as many opinions as there are members here. Having bought new 3x & worked through the new RV issues for the 1st years, I'm looking at gently used/well maintained for our next coach.
This is great advice ... worth taking to the bank.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #7

We have the bath and a half and love it. We had a coupe of priorities and that was one of them. It comes in very handy, as we don't like to use the CG bathrooms or showers. We also occasionally bring our Grandkids, or kids and having the extra bathroom works great. Having bath and a half is also great if there is only two of you, if for some reason you both need to use the bathroom at the same time, and it gives you a little more privacy. On ours, as far as needing anything special, both toilets have their own holding tanks, so it is just gravity and does not require any electric flush units, or make any noise, use extra water ect. Having the extra black tank gives you more holding capacity which is nice if you do any camping without hookups.

There are a few gas MH's you can buy new in your price range. We went with gas because I like to do all my own maintenance. It drives great, handles great, has plenty of power, and with the Newmar you can get a lot of the same amenities that you can get with the diesel MH's.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:49 AM   #8

If you do not have experience with RV's, I would recommend:

1. Rent one first, nothing like experience to help you decide.
2. If money is not important, buy new, otherwise buy one that is 1-3 years old.
3. I would decide what size you want prior to gas/diesel
4. If possible have a plan to store the RV under cover.

Many personal factors make a difference in your choice of RV.
1. Are you working or retired?
2. How many occupants? Pets?
3. Usage, full time, weekends, long trips?
4. Towing a car or boat?
5. Can you do routine repairs/maintenance yourself?
6. Remote (dry) camping or campground?

We have had gas and diesel rigs in the past. For us, third time was the charm. We finally chose the smallest unit that we felt we could be comfortable in while being on the road for 4-6 weeks at a time. Good hunting!
Old 08-08-2016, 07:17 AM   #9

The Ford V10 Triton engine is a tried and true survivor, and a damn good engine. No worries there.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #10

Regarding 1 1/2 baths...occasionally our son, DIL, and grandson will go with us. The longest trip was 3 weeks. We did fine with 1 bath, but we do have 2 vanities, which we like. We had no issues at all. Having said that, we think 1 1/2 baths would be nice, but we've not really needed it. For us, it would be a want, not a need, and nothing wrong with that if it's in budget. Ditto the gently used, well maintained coach of either gas or DP.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a reason the Fleetwood 35K (bath and a half) is their most popular class A gas coach. I'm one person but I wanted the extra large shower. So it really depends on you.
New or Used? Depends on you again. My first was used. My last is new. New will have to have all the kinks worked out of it. Used will have kinks worked out of it already but new ones will crop up every week.
I wanted new because I wanted to know how each system was cared for. I know I don't have the black tank mountain of poop for example.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #12

We full-timed for 16 years with only one bath. We had occasional grandkids and other visitors and it posed no problem.

I think folks nowadays have so many bathrooms in their stick house that they think they need it in a RV. Not so. You loose a lot of living space with that extra bathroom.

A quality used RV would be an excellent choice. Buying new doesn't necessarily mean you'll have no problems with it. Buying used the initial problems will have been fixed - hopefully. Always get a good pre-inspection done. You can get an excellent used for much less than your stated $110,000. The money you save could go toward renovation, if needed or wanted - new flooring, window awnings (highly recommended) perhaps new recliners and television.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshan0711 View Post
I am in the shopping stage but will be buying a class A in a month. I have looked at several and landed on a Holiday Rambler and Thor in my price range of $110,000 or less. I want your opinions as to whether a bath and half is worth loss of space and money. Also, is it better to purchase a low mileage pre owned and get more for my money. I don't think I can afford a diesel so are Gas motors OK. I probably have more questions but this would be a great start
There are some really great deals in 1 to 3 yr old coaches. Be careful though of the sales pitches. Buying a NEW coach at 25% off MSRP is not to difficult. So keep that in mind when a salesman is trying to tell you that 25 or 30% off MSRP on a 2 yr old coach is the deal of a lifetime. If you plan on doing a lot of driving (over 8k/yr) and plan on towing a car - give a lot of thought to a diesel. The power, ride, quietness, etc. are entirely different than a gas coach. We got considerably better mileage on our diesel coach than we ever did on the gas coach. As for brands - our personal advise is to never consider a Thor product - except maybe their Venetian or Tuscany models - but they are $300k. Generally Fleetwood , Winnebago and Tiffin seem to offer the best on reliability, price and floor plans in your price range. That doesn't mean that all their RV's are good - but as manufactures go, any of these 3 should provide good value.