Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #1

Need some washing tips

I want to give my RV a good washing and wax. I'd like to remove whatever wax is on the coach and start over with a good cleaning then apply a Carnuba wax. Would using the Dawn dish soap regular formula do a good job of removing the old wax? What about using something in the formula like Bar Keepers Friend to help get it clean? Same question for using a white scrub pad? To abrasive?

I'm not to concerned about damaging the vinyl as it has UV damage now and is on my list to replace or replace with painted stripes. On the tires (they are new) is there a good product that will help protect the rubber from drying out without damaging it with chemicals?

And last question is what about cleaning and polishing the wheel simulators? Thanks for all suggestions.

noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Dawn, bar keepers friend and I have used Zep floor polish. Bar keepers will also do the simulators. Use the search button above. Lot's of info. Good luck.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Dawn, bar keepers friend and I have used Zep floor polish. Bar keepers will also do the simulators. Use the search button above. Lot's of info. Good luck.
Thanks Pepper. I did a search and have read plenty. Most of the stuff I found was on what kind of wax and lambs wool vs microfiber vs Marry Poppins.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #4

A strong mix of laundry soap and water should strip most wax off. Follow this with polishing compound, then a quality wax like Colinite, McGuires or something compatible with your exterior. If it is fiberglas you might start with boat shops and see what they recomend as the best product for boats. Remember, stuff like PolyGlo or Zep are not waxes, and do not contain any UV inhibitors, so using them may produce a shiny look for a short time, it will not protect the surface from UV damage in the long run
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tire Care

Concerning your tires, simply wash them with a mild detergent, the dawn dish soap you mentioned is fine. After rinsing and allowing them to dry, I use a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant. I also use it on the coach, in-between hand waxing, by simply applying it to the entire coach with a dust mop. You can purchase it at WM or most other stores.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
RejeX polymer sealant on the exterior and all glass.
303 Aerospace protectant (as mentioned earlier) on all plastic and rubber.
Dawn to remove stuff prior to application of RejeX.
Done and simple.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #7

3M makes a marine Rv fiberglass wax in a white bottle with blue label. It goes on easy comes off and does not swirl. I find it on sale at the company store and buy several bottles to share with friends to use on their motorcycles. I have a local to was wax my rig way too much work for me
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #8

I know it's an extra step and more work but since it's my first detail would it be a good idea to use a cleaner wax after the wash to remove any oxidation before applying a finish sealant or wax?
Old 11-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #9

I totally agree with using 303 Aerospace on tires, plastic & leather! Great stuff. Depending on how bad your exterior finish is and if it's fibreglass or paint, if fibreglass dull and faded I would use ZEP, used it on my old coach and made the old chalky fibreglass look better than new! The people that bought it were "Very Impressed" hard to believe it was 20 years old! Put 5 coats on our new to us coach and I'll bet it didn't shine this nice when it rolled out of the factory. Up here in Canada we don't have to worry as much about UV damage but I still plan on putting a coat of 303 Aerospace over the ZEP to give it some UV protection. Good luck with your unit getting it clean & shiny, sure feels good when you can stand back and say " Yup, I did that" looks good don't it!! Everyone that sees our coach can't believe it's 10 years old. "I Like It"
Old 11-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #10

Guess I should have mentioned it's a fiberglass coach with gel-coat. I did lots of research on the Zep technique. My coach is in pretty good shape on the finish so I plan to not go the Zep route at this time. Maybe if needed down the road after the finish needs some extra help.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like using Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine wax. If you have any hazy or dull areas use their cleaner/wax first. It's very thick so a little goes a long ways. It can be applied in full sun and comes off easy. Even though my coach is 15 years old it still has a very good shine. I also like to use 303 protectant, just follow the instructions to wipe it till dry or it will streak. I buy it on ebay, best price I can find usually with free shipping. Last time I bought it I had to buy four gallons to get the free shipping.

Amazon.com: Meguiar's M6332 Flagship Premium Marine Wax - 32 oz.: Automotive

Amazon.com: Meguiar's M6132 Flagship Premium Cleaner/Wax - 32 oz.: Automotive

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
I like using Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine wax. If you have any hazy or dull areas use their cleaner/wax first. It's very thick so a little goes a long ways. It can be applied in full sun and comes off easy. Even though my coach is 15 years old it still has a very good shine. I also like to use 303 protectant, just follow the instructions to wipe it till dry or it will streak. I buy it on ebay, best price I can find usually with free shipping. Last time I bought it I had to buy four gallons to get the free shipping.

Amazon.com: Meguiar's M6332 Flagship Premium Marine Wax - 32 oz.: Automotive

Amazon.com: Meguiar's M6132 Flagship Premium Cleaner/Wax - 32 oz.: Automotive

Chuck
Thanks Chuck. Did some research and it looks like a good product. I think I'm going to start off with the Meguiar #50 cleaner wax and do a second coat later after I recover with the Meguiar Flagship Premium Marine Wax. Next year if the second wax job didn't kill me I'm going to switch to Rejex polymer sealer.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:49 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you'll be happy with Meguiar's I am. As an added note I use Meguiar's Gold Classic car wash shampoo for washing my coach. I buy it at Costco by the gallon.

Amazon.com: Meguiar's G7164 Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner - 64 oz.: Automotive

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:53 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
I want to give my RV a good washing and wax. I'd like to remove whatever wax is on the coach and start over with a good cleaning then apply a Carnuba wax. Would using the Dawn dish soap regular formula do a good job of removing the old wax? What about using something in the formula like Bar Keepers Friend to help get it clean? Same question for using a white scrub pad? To abrasive?

I'm not to concerned about damaging the vinyl as it has UV damage now and is on my list to replace or replace with painted stripes. On the tires (they are new) is there a good product that will help protect the rubber from drying out without damaging it with chemicals?

And last question is what about cleaning and polishing the wheel simulators? Thanks for all suggestions.
Newmar publishes specific instructions on washing their rigs. You need to check into it and download a copy for your records.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote