Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I'll by that. Improper reporting of the actual conditions.
yourself.

I had a Toyota Land Cruiser that also had the parking brake on the drive shaft. I parked in my driveway and set the brake and didn't put it in gear. I took my other truck to go shopping and when I came back, my Toyota was sitting the middle of the street. The drum/shoes cooled off and released the tension on the drum and my vehicle rolled down my driveway. The same thing happened a couple weeks later. I don't learn to fast.
I'm reparing my rear ladder and replacing a gutter on my home----FOR THE SECOND TIME, sometimes I'm slow other times slower. I back up very precisely but stop a little long it seems. HIt the gutter in the exact same place. I can't do that anymore, I'm reading the stuff about the NFL.

HAve a good day, second youngest grandchild over for a two nighter gotta go get some more T-ball wiffles, dog ate his.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #30

I have a cooler hanging on the side of my garage. To limit my reverse travel, I have a 4x8 staked to the ground with rebar where I want the wheels to stop. They're high enough that is a solid hit when I'm "on" to them. Never have gone over the, even with my 5er.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #31

Now that's some interesting back and forth. Since I just read the thread I won't reiterate what you've all probably learned, I have only two points.

#1 MOST front brakes do not lock up with air powered parking brakes. Very few, if any factory systems have brake cans to use the fronts as parking brakes. Remember that the rear duals are almost always the only "parking brake" on the vehicle. This can be important in snow and ice conditions if you use your leveling jacks and take too much weight off the rear tires. We can talk more about how air brakes go into park mode, but the front wheels are free to turn on most air brake rigs when parked.

2# The first question I'd ask when someone tells me the front brakes are 300 and the rears are 90 degrees is "What are they normally?". By routinely checking temperatures you know what's normal and what's not normal. If we need to stop for a dog walk or whatever, I routinely walk around the rig with my heat gun and check tread temp, disc, caliper and wheel/hub temp (hub caps don't allow shooting the actual hub) in front. Tread, wheel temp in back on drivers and tag, and the same on the toad. If something is wrong it becomes obvious early. If the coach has been sitting a long time, 3 months is a long time for me, then I'll stop after the first 30 minutes of driving just to check temperatures.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #32

My question would be: Did you shoot them in the same spot. He said he did, but actually didn't because they are a lot harder to get to.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I have a cooler hanging on the side of my garage. To limit my reverse travel, I have a 4x8 staked to the ground with rebar where I want the wheels to stop. They're high enough that is a solid hit when I'm "on" to them. Never have gone over the, even with my 5er.
Great minds work alike; The 4X4 or 4X8 solution (just something to stop me regardless) was what I came up with when I had to appear before my wife and accept pennance for my indescretion with the gutter. I think more clearly under pressure evidently.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
Now that's some interesting back and forth. Since I just read the thread I won't reiterate what you've all probably learned, I have only two points.

#1 MOST front brakes do not lock up with air powered parking brakes. Very few, if any factory systems have brake cans to use the fronts as parking brakes. Remember that the rear duals are almost always the only "parking brake" on the vehicle. This can be important in snow and ice conditions if you use your leveling jacks and take too much weight off the rear tires. We can talk more about how air brakes go into park mode, but the front wheels are free to turn on most air brake rigs when parked.

2# The first question I'd ask when someone tells me the front brakes are 300 and the rears are 90 degrees is "What are they normally?". By routinely checking temperatures you know what's normal and what's not normal. If we need to stop for a dog walk or whatever, I routinely walk around the rig with my heat gun and check tread temp, disc, caliper and wheel/hub temp (hub caps don't allow shooting the actual hub) in front. Tread, wheel temp in back on drivers and tag, and the same on the toad. If something is wrong it becomes obvious early. If the coach has been sitting a long time, 3 months is a long time for me, then I'll stop after the first 30 minutes of driving just to check temperatures.
IN ten years time this was my first trip with a thermometer but I found it a handy addition, thanks to suggestions on this site. Dunner is correct I actually could not hit my rear disc without getting under or in some contorted position. The oil soaked filling station pull in was not very inviting. I mainly was just curious but as you say had no basis for comparison. I'll add wheel temperatures to my traveling notebook from now on;information is better served when it is relative to some standard.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #35

I used it for my 5er and didn't have to move it for the MH. I sprayed blue spray pain on my driveway where my front wheel needs to be able to get into my electrical compartment and another one where it needs to be to get into my wet compartment.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #36

Start a section in your notebook that has a heading of "Common Sense" and add really important, but easy stuff there.