Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #1

Need suggestion about Motorhome sale

We have a 2016 35' Palazzo Diesel pusher,[moderator edit], due to health reason we need to down size and are thinking of selling our motorhome and purchase a smaller class C or B. [moderator edit]

We live in central Texas. Would it be better to do a sell by owner or should we entrust it to a consignment center. We have always done a traded in.
Thank you for your suggestions and experiences.
bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Good luck with your sale. Sad you are getting out of the RV family.

I would try to sell it yourself for a short while. If that is not successful paying a consignment lot could be the next option.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:18 PM   #3

Bamm,

Your situation is unfortunate, and the method is a toss-up. Were I in your place (again - BTDT), I can tell you to start by taking a lot of good pictures with a digital camera. Look at them all and then delete about half of them you will want a dozen more or less.

There are three easy venues for such a sale (If you are a member of FMCA).
Craig's list is great. It is free and you can write a lot about both the coach and everything and post it for free. Keep the files, because you will want to remove it and repost it about every other week to keep it on the fresh page. You can adjust the title and copy each time too, just to keep it interesting. Peruse the online brokers to get a good idea what you asking price should be. In a private sale, you can underprice a broker and still end up with more cash.

The FMCA magazine is free gets a lot of coverage, but the amount of copy is short. If you are a member, read in the back of magazine.

I have dealt with brokers and had moderate success. The advantage there is the sales people can do you a lot of good and provide unanimity if you don't want to put up with tire kickers and low ball offers.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would sell it myself. The biggest thing you will be missing is being able to provide financing like a consignment dealer can provide. So you need a cash buyer or a buyer savvy enough to arrange there own financing. Selling yourself is more difficult at your price point, but doable.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I sold my mom's 1992 EuroPremier DP for $14,000. The guy who bought it wanted to pay by personal check. I was smart enuff to say no. He then suggested I drive the MH to his place about 60 miles away, and he'd give me cash and drive me back. I said ok. Not too bright. We got to his place and he handed me 140 $100 bills, we signed the paperwork, and on the road home with him at the wheel of his truck, I thought 'He could pull a gun and be $14,000 richer right now.' Do the cash transaction at your bank.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Good luck with your sale. Sad you are getting out of the RV family.

I would try to sell it yourself for a short while. If that is not successful paying a consignment lot could be the next option.
OP says they're thinking of downsizing. Not getting out of RV'ing. But then, maybe the OP revised his posting too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
What I should have said was "I'll take your $1400 check in earnest, remove the MH form the market and hold it for two weeks for you. If you do not complete this transaction in two weeks, the $1400 is mine and the mh goes back on the market. If you do complete the transaction in two weeks, the $1400 goes towards the purchase price of $14,000, leaving a balance due of $12,600 cash. Here, sign this earnest money agreement to accept those steps."
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #8

Welcome to the board. I'm sorry that it took your misfortune to bring you to the board.
You will get multiple answers (options) that will help you out. Please stay engaged with us regardless.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would advertise it in the free classifieds here on IRV2, Craigslist, and RVTrader.com. Be prepared to lots of scam offers, especially from Craigslist! I would specify that you will only accept a direct transfer of funds between their bank and yours, NO EXCEPTIONS! That's the only safe way to do it!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:49 PM   #10

Before deciding to sell on consignment, check with your insurance company; most require additional coverage for that.

Another problem some have had in the past is the consignment dealer goes out of business/bankrupt, your MH could be tied up in court for a long time.
There are threads about the MH being sold but no money received, and the new MH sitting in the driveway, making payments on both MH's while the lawyer attempts to obtain their money for the old MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #11

You potentially can get more $ by selling it yourself but it is more work, takes time and can be a pain.

Before the photos clean in inside & out and the storage areas. Stage it as uf for a magazine ad shoot then take lots of pics.
Advertise on RVTrader.com RVT.com iRV2.com vlassifieds and CList. I used all of these and only paid for one. Thete ate free options on RVT that have some limits. You never know whete the interest & sale comes from.
The above sites are also helpful to search and see what similar make model & yr (+/- 1-2 yrs) are listed for. I understand PPL has a sold price listing but haven't used it. Worth checking I didn't know about it when I was selling.

Be prepared for calls from other brokers & consignment. Just say no. Some bad reports have been posted many are legal but not much advantage IMO
Be prepated for some scammers... look for the typical signs... they are not real hard to spot. Initial contact via txt maybe OK but I want to talk live to anyone seriously interested.

If you are not up to the task and don't want to desl with the scammers, no shows, etc. You could use a reputable consignment dlr. I have heard good things about National Indoor RV and belive they are in TX.
I would avoid Camping World for consignment but thats just me. They did call me when I was selling.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #12

I would consider selling it on this site as most people seem to be good honest RV folks, and this is prime time to sell. You could start selling and if it does not work out then consign it.

Since you mentioned you usually trade in your previous units then you are fine losing 25% of the value, so no issue to consign then.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #13

They are not dying, nor are the giving up on RVing. They are downsizing. If you're in no huge hurry, sell it yourself. Anyone looking for a 2016 Palazzo have will certainly have the wherewithal to figure out how they will pay for it. Just make sure it's an "in bank", secured environment transaction. if that doesn't work, try the consignment route but make sure everyone agrees on the numbers upfront.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:41 PM   #14

As far as money transfers I highly recommend bank wire transfers. I have used them for both buying and selling and they work great.
My credit union confirmed they are secure and can't be reversed unless the fed govt gets involved due to criminal activity.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, sale