Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Need Tire Help

GlenB, fleetwood Expedition, 38N....Checking tires this AM to find my inside rear tire had no air. It is still on the rim...can't tell the issue. I had a tire guy to install some extensions before I left for this trip to Foley and I wonder if somehow the extender he put on there leaked or something. I have Good Sam on the way to try to air up. I don't think it will take air in that it is not up against the rim. Good Sam said I would have to pay 110.00 if they take the tire off and remount. Did not know that was how it worked but I am where I need help. Good news I am in a campground not on the road. One question I have is how they jack up the tire. Do I need to close slide outs etc....what about air bags....I have never had to have a tire pulled off so I don't know what to expect or what to watch out for. The Tires are less than a year old Michelins so I pray it isn't ruined. Any advice on what to watch out for or do I would thankyou. I pray they send someone who knows what they are doing with a RV......

GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Glen,
I had that exact same situation here at the stick house. We were getting ready to leave and I checked the tires and the inside driver side dual was flat. I don't know if, or how long, I may have driven on it. So the possibility of the outside dual having to take all the load may have weakened that tire also.

In my case, I called GS, and the sent a tire service to me. As yours, mine was not against the rim so I could not inflate it. The tire people (I had the slides in) put a jack in place and raised that side, then inflated the tire.

Now, I also had just had "extenders" put on (braided ones), and after inflation it was determined that the extender was leaking, but it was leaking where the braid met the crimp-on part of the end. Go figure! Brand new extenders with an improper crimp fitting. At that time I removed all extenders, and a little time later I put the straight brass extenders on.

If you have driven on that flat tire you most likely have weakened or worse the sidewalls. About 2000-3000 miles later when we were on a West Coast trip, that tire of mine had a zipper blow-out. I was close to a tire dealer, got a good deal and had both duals replaced since I did not know how weak the outer one had become. A visual check will not tell if the sidewall has been damaged. There are tire companies with special equipment that can tell.

When the tire people get there just see if they can inflate it and check for a leak without taking it off. There should be no charge for that. If the find a leak and it is the extender, just take it off, fill the tire, and go to a dealer for further checks. It will be out of your pocket, but I have found a lot of dealers that will check tires for free. Even once when I was on the road around Kerrville, TX. I had both of those tires dismounted and visibly checked. The check indicated they were good. There was no charge. All depends on the mood you catch the tire company in. The tires blew later on after the visibly checked.

Good luck.

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would reccomend you install Crossfire tire system on your MH. It keeps both tires inflated, and you can check the pressure at a glance.
dajudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Hey Glen, had basically the same thing happen to me. Put extenders on up at St Louis, on the way home one leaked and flattened inside left dual. (Why is it always inside rear dual)

Didn't notice it until I was ready for another trip. Drove it to the tire shop, about 10 miles, course I probably had already drove it 35 or 40 miles flat, it was off the rim.

The tire guys at RAY BEN tire in Scott City Mo, were great, they inspected the tire and told me that probably it wouldn't hold the pressure as the inner cords were probably broke. The put it in a cage and aired it up. It got to about 90 Lbs and BOOM the whole side of the tire let go.

Glad it happened in that cage and not while on my motor home Even though we thought it might blow it still scared the C**P out of us when it underwent that explosive decompression

So be very careful and make sure that the tire isn't damaged. I ended up with a new one on the old Expedition, and feel lucky

If you are ever around exit 91 on I-55 in Missouri and need a tire go and see the guys at Ray-Ben tire, just across the street from the HUGE truck stop called Rhodes and a pretty good restruant called Huddle House.

Happy trails
Ps there are no EXTENDERS on my coach anymore. I will be buying the Metal ones listed in Motorhome magazine for 110.00 I believe. Until then I'll just use my dual foot air gage
MGySgt USMC(R) 1961-1991
2001 Fleetwood Expedition
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sierra Toad
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Keep several 15' motorcycle type tie down ratchet straps on board. Wrap them around center of tire and start cranking. They will compress center of tire in order to re-seat the bead. I had an extender on an insid dual that wouldn't read on the gauge, took it to the shop, tire was about 10 lbs low and shop wanted to charge me for fixing extender. I said" here is the recpt where I just paid you to put them on." OOOOPS
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Had the same thing happen to me. The shop that worked on my tire extenders did not tighten it down and air leaked out. Fortunately only 20lbs had gone out and I was able using my onboard air to pump it back up.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had a similar problem on a trip. Went to leave a campground and on my walk around discovered the drivers side front total flat. Had a small extender on it and that was causing the problem. Replaced both front extenders and tightened the heck out of them.
Took me an hour to blow up the tire with a small 110volt AC compressor I carry. It would get extremely hot but eventually got the job done.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote