Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2019, 06:49 AM   #1

Need tires in TX

Hello all,

We just bought a new (to us) 2005 Travel Supreme 45DS14 in Austin, TX. We are getting ready to head back to PA but want to put new tires on before we make the trip. The current tires on the drive and tag axle are the ORIGINAL Michelin’s with 73,000 miles. The steer tires are 8 years old with appx 30k miles.

I’ve been calling around the Austin and Dallas area looking for replacements but finding 295/80 22.5 tires is proving to be a difficult task (to get quickly).

Any tricks to finding tires other that googling and calling tires shops?

I’m going to call some shops in the Houston area to see what they have. We really don’t want to drive far on the current tires.
2003 Country Coach Prevost #60479
2019 Ford F150 Toad
dwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
You might try Cowser tire in Fort Worth. They are a large truck tire shop and did the replacement on our Itasca tires a few years ago. They do tires and alignments on a lot of motor homes.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You definitely want to replace them, good move.

Have you looked at Toyo's? They get good reviews on here when people want to move away from Michelins.

Where you headed in PA?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #4

I too recommend going with Toyo. They M144 is available in that size and many here at iRV2 have replaced their Michelins with Toyo M144s.

You didn't say in your post if when you were calling around if you specifically were asking for Michelins or just any brand. Actually, there aren't too many manufacturers that make available that size. I believe Sailun and Double Coin also have that size available (there may be several others by Chinese manufacturers) but I'd much prefer to use Toyo myself.

Southern Tire Mart is pretty abundant in Texas and they are an authorized Toyo commercial truck tire dealer.

Here is the dealer locator if you want to use that to call around:

Toyo Commercial Truck Tire Dealer Locator
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:47 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Its a little far, but I got excellent service and pricing from Beasley Tire Service in Houston. 800-648-6882.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwertz View Post
Hello all,

We just bought a new (to us) 2005 Travel Supreme 45DS14 in Austin, TX. We are getting ready to head back to PA but want to put new tires on before we make the trip. The current tires on the drive and tag axle are the ORIGINAL Michelin’s with 73,000 miles. The steer tires are 8 years old with appx 30k miles.

I’ve been calling around the Austin and Dallas area looking for replacements but finding 295/80 22.5 tires is proving to be a difficult task (to get quickly).

I’m going to call some shops in the Houston area to see what they have. We really don’t want to drive far on the current tires.
We bought from MCGuire's, they have stores in Belton and Temple, TX both on your way home. They ordered Toyo M144 in 295/80 22.5 and he had them the next day. Give them a call - (254) 939-1357. We paid about $2800 for six three years ago.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I too recommend going with Toyo.Southern Tire Mart is pretty abundant in Texas and they are an authorized Toyo commercial truck tire dealer.

Here is the dealer locator if you want to use that to call around:

Toyo Commercial Truck Tire Dealer Locator
Yep...X2. BTW...we're in PA right now so see ya when you get here.

4 Rear tires I bought 2 years ago at Southern Tire Mart at:
11120 TX-75, Conroe, TX 77378.
Great guys, great prices, large bays, take care of mostly big rig trucks, knowledgable.

Previous post of mine:
I bought and had installed here locally in Texas about 60 miles north of Houston, 4 new tires on my rear dually's, 4 - Toyo M122's, 255/70R 22.5 (H rated tires), new s/s solid extended valve stems for my TPMS, road force balanced, 2 Centramatic Balancing Rings and also had front tires/rims dismounted, road force balanced, 2 Centramatic balancing rings installed there too along with new gaskets/"O" rings on those s/s valve stems and lastly bought a total of 12 (3 for each rim) tapered self-centering lug nuts and all 4 tires had the same DOT date that were 12 weeks old. Went for a 40 mile drive (one way) had the coach weighed, came back and—by hand they re-torqued—to 450ft.lbs. all the lug nuts.
For a total of $1,850.00.

Took a while to find a shop that would do the road force balance and all the other stuff I wanted and get the pricing I did, but finally did. Get er done!

The folks @ Centramatics recommended this tire shop in Willis, TX to me.
http://www.stmtires.biz
Speak with John Malroy @ the tire shop - I believe he is the manager and very knowledgeable & helpful.

For me (IMHO) it's not just a matter of "riding smoother" or "feeling better" it's a matter of keeping the rig as healthy as possible. With this much weight, if you have tires and wheels that are not match balanced, not balanced or improperly balanced, followed up with not centering correctly when mounting to the hubs and lugs are installed, it can create vibration (whether you feel it or not) that translates throughout the entire suspension system which can wear other parts prematurely.

Since everything is "riding on our tires", and I'm going to spend a couple of grand for tires, why wouldn't I take the other necessary steps to insure, good tire wear and minimize other possible suspension issues by spending a few more bucks?

But then again I've never been accused of taking the cheap route on anything I've ever done.

I'm not a fan of beads or powders either. My 2 cents.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The 295/80R-22.5 is a common size so hopefully the commercial tire stores will have them.
Some advice, make sure you state you need current tire dates or sometimes you can end up with a new set of 5 year old dated tires.

Also, you can compare prices using the FMCA tire discount program web site. They have Michelin, Hankook, and Continental. For many of us it's worth the price of joining FMCA.

https://www.fmca.com/rv-tires-discounts
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #9

Thanks for all the responses! We’ve been busy moving the rig from the Previous owners residence to a KOA east of Austin.

I called most of the places mentioned in the posts in the Austin and DFW area and nobody could get us tires.

As a last resort I looked in the Houston area and spoke to Steve at Beasley Tire and he was able to find 6 for me and said he could have them today but it would be rushing it to get them on today. We are going to head to Houston tonight and be at Beasley first thing in the morning.

Since I can’t get 8, I’m going to move the steer tires (ONLY 8 years old, good grief) to the tag axle.

I was going to look at the Toyos but just too many things happening on this trip to think it through. And, I figured that if these tires lasted 14 years and 73,000 miles why not put the same back on it. We have been running our 2014 Coachmen Cross Country on the Michelin’s for 3 years and have been happy also.

So... We hope to be able to head back to PA tomorrow afternoon with some nice new skins on the coach!

Thanks again for all the input.
2019 Ford F150 Toad
Old 04-25-2019, 03:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE Wanderer View Post
Its a little far, but I got excellent service and pricing from Beasley Tire Service in Houston. 800-648-6882.
2019 Ford F150 Toad
Old 04-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
You definitely want to replace them, good move.

Where you headed in PA?
Back to Bellwood. Between State College and Altoona.
2019 Ford F150 Toad
Old 04-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #12

Just updated our signature
2019 Ford F150 Toad
Old 04-25-2019, 04:13 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Back to Bellwood. Between State College and Altoona.
I grew up in Williamsport. Sure miss the Fall back there. Beautiful.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Hello all,

I bought some Toyos in that size from Youngbloods Tire in Roundrock (Austin area) about a year ago. They are located close to the intersection of I 35 and toll road 45. They had Michelins in stock, but I wanted to try Toyos. They got 6 of them in a couple of days.

I'm really pleased with the Toyos.

Randy
RPrince is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires