Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
Arrow Need to be UP FRONT WITH YOU

I own a 1988 Southwind Pace Arrow Class "A" Motorhome and need to have the front end and possibly the steering rebuilt. My good friend and master mechanic lives in Mexico and he will be doing the work. My job is to bring with me the RV and ALL OF THE NECESSARY PARTS to complete the job correctly. I have NO IDEA what parts to buy and isn't the front end just a Chevy truck front end? Anyone know? Yep, I am new here and yes, this is my first RV ownership. Other than the front end and steering problem, the 454 Chevy engine, trans and everything else is in real good shape. So, I sure could use some advice....uh....quickly?
Thanks for listening!

KenWinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ken and

I can't help with your question but hopefully some of our resident experts will chime is soon for you.

Best of luck...

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:00 AM   #3
Ken, you are correct for the most part it is a truck front end, your coach is on a GM chassies If you look in your owners manual it should tell you the chassies is some thing like P30, the steering box will have casting #s on it and manuf. name. from the steering box to the steering wheel who knows. Also the axle should have some #s stamped on it of a tag attached to it usually in the center of the axle that is the info you really need, but given the age you may not be able to read the tag or see the #s you are looking for some thing like Rockwell, Dana, or spicer. Some where on your coach it will have a decal with the GVW and front and rear axle rateings on it that info will help the parts people as well NAPA is a good source for parts. Depending on what issues you are having be sure to look at springs and attaching hardware. If you havent done it yet, I would recomend taking your coach to a good truck front end shop and have them inspect the entire suspension front and rear. Older gas motorhomes are notorious of their poor handling an wandering all over the road, with that in mind make sure you actually have a problem before you start replacing parts.
Bruce Linda and Zoey
1999 ForeTravel U295
012 orange Jeep Wrangler
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:09 AM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know where you live in relation to Mexico but if your problem is that bad, I would have it looked at and repaired at a reputable shop in you local vicinity. You don't want to be on the road with something that is not safe to drive. Chances are you may purchase some wrong parts and then what? All will be for naught. Sometimes saving a few $$$$ is just not worth the risk. JMHO

By the way WELCOME to the forum!
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:37 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you heard about whats happening in Mexico?

What are your plans should you break down in Mexico with a 23 year old motorhome?

I hope you have safe travels and make it safely back to the states.
Jim with Judy
08 38' Bounder DP
Toads: 08 Jeep Wrangler Sport; 11 Chevy Malibu
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Smile Thanks for the quick answer everyone!

Thanks so much everyone for the concern and traveling advice but I travel to Mexico a lot as I live only fifty miles from the border and I carry a "Sentri" card. Been traveling there for over 30 years now. The repairs will be done 12 miles from the San Diego border and my best friend lives in Buena Vista, Mexico which is two miles form T.J ... that is where the work is being done. We are stripping out the interior and replacing just about everything except for the kitchen and a few other items. Anyone have an idea for a GOOD roof sealer at a reasonable price? Looking for a sealer in white and something as close to "Pro Guard Liquid Roof" and or "Eternabond."...without the overpricing!...Any suggestions?
Thanks again everyone. I am new here so getting these answers so quickly is a real treat.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
With your year MH. You have a P32 chassis. Take your VIN number to a GOOD chevy dealer and he can easily order all your parts.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
Talking Thanks again everyone

Cannot believe all the help and suggestions that are coming my way since I joined this website. You all have already saved me so much time and money!
The New Guy
Old 04-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
Why not bring the mechanic to you? No security problems, no problem with getting the wrong parts, no problem with breaking down in Mexico, etc.

2008 AC Allegiance 42G, Spartan, ISL
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote