Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
markwho40's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: south beach or
Posts: 111
Send a message via AIM to markwho40 Send a message via Yahoo to markwho40 Send a message via Skype™ to markwho40
need to hear from others with older rvs

i have a 1996 36foot winnebago and i need to please here from others with about the same year or so and i have a musty damp smell in my closet area but no water leaks and the same musty smell under my couch to and i need to please here from others that have had same problem and smell and what you have did to get the non leak damp feel and musty smell please i really need to know from all asap thanks all
__________________

__________________
markwho40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 21
I recently purchase used 2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD with same smell. Started sniffing around and these odor's were coming up from the chassis storage area's.

On a sunny day I took my steam cleaner and steam cleaned all the carpet in these area's. I was really surprised on how dirty the water was and how many times I had to go over the carpet to get it clean. A lot of work but guess what? No more musty odor coming up into the cabin!

Leave doors open and fan running on the carpet until COMPLETELY DRY before reloading.

Hope this helps.
__________________

__________________
Larry46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
markwho40's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: south beach or
Posts: 111
Send a message via AIM to markwho40 Send a message via Yahoo to markwho40 Send a message via Skype™ to markwho40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry46 View Post
I recently purchase used 2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD with same smell. Started sniffing around and these odor's were coming up from the chassis storage area's.

On a sunny day I took my steam cleaner and steam cleaned all the carpet in these area's. I was really surprised on how dirty the water was and how many times I had to go over the carpet to get it clean. A lot of work but guess what? No more musty odor coming up into the cabin!

Leave doors open and fan running on the carpet until COMPLETELY DRY before reloading.

Hope this helps.
my musty smells is in my closet and the bottom drawers next to closet and under my couch where i have storage and im trying to get rid of smell and i get like a cold dampness on my closet wall but no leaks
__________________
markwho40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 197
Where is the couch relative to the closet? If they're side by side I would look harder for a leak or prior leak. You can have a small leak inside the wall from the roof, a window or electric plug, the wall sits on top of the floor and water keeps the area damp but not flooded. Does the closet have a false bottom that plumbing runs through? It could leak.

Or it could be from an old leak. Clean everything well with a strong antibacterial cleaner, including all the carpet under the couch, and see if it returns, or at least gets better.
__________________
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
markwho40's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: south beach or
Posts: 111
Send a message via AIM to markwho40 Send a message via Yahoo to markwho40 Send a message via Skype™ to markwho40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Where is the couch relative to the closet? If they're side by side I would look harder for a leak or prior leak. You can have a small leak inside the wall from the roof, a window or electric plug, the wall sits on top of the floor and water keeps the area damp but not flooded. Does the closet have a false bottom that plumbing runs through? It could leak.

Or it could be from an old leak. Clean everything well with a strong antibacterial cleaner, including all the carpet under the couch, and see if it returns, or at least gets better.
in my closet closer to the floor is like a cold dampness where the wall closer to the floor is like cold wet but my carpet in the closet is never wet and the under nieth under below the closet on passenger side is my fresh water tank but i never see any leaks
__________________
markwho40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 197
If it smells musty and feels cold and damp you've pretty much determined you have a water problem.

It's going to be hard to see a lot of leaks, especially small leaks, in a motor home, so much is buried or only partially visible because the way they have to be built. I've taken a piece of paper towel and really mashed it into the carpet for a few seconds to see if I can find dampness at times.

As the freshwater tank is so close that or the lines could be the problem. It might leak while you're filling, the vent line might be lose, a fitting could be loose, the tank could be cracked on the bottom even. Small leaks can be a pain, but don't forget any opening in the wall from the outside.

Water can migrate a long way. I did an Airstream one time where the water traveled 16 feet from a lag bolt someone had installed for an upper awning mount, along some 120 wiring, past the entrance door, hit a kink in the wiring by a window then dripped down to the floor. Be persistent and look at everything.
__________________
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Western New York
Posts: 514
You can buy Damp Rid and similar products at Wal Mart to absorb dampness. Then I would put out potpourri in small bowls or sachets made from old nylon stockings to gently refresh the air. I used the potpourri once directly on a damp towel to soak and refresh cat urine in a carpet. After sitting there a couple of weeks you could put your nose right to the carpet and not smell a thing.
__________________
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
markwho40's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: south beach or
Posts: 111
Send a message via AIM to markwho40 Send a message via Yahoo to markwho40 Send a message via Skype™ to markwho40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
You can buy Damp Rid and similar products at Wal Mart to absorb dampness. Then I would put out potpourri in small bowls or sachets made from old nylon stockings to gently refresh the air. I used the potpourri once directly on a damp towel to soak and refresh cat urine in a carpet. After sitting there a couple of weeks you could put your nose right to the carpet and not smell a thing.
but is the damp rid safe around cats because i have two cats but they small enough to stick in a small space because i got my closet and on each side of my closet i have cubbys and three drawers each
__________________
markwho40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 338
Use an infrared moisture checker device. It sees behind walls and locates areas of moisture and helps identifying the source. Building inspectors use hand-held checkers all the time.

MO Fred
South Central Missouri.
__________________
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Western New York
Posts: 514
Other than the cats wanting to play with the Damp Rid, I don't see how it could hurt the cats. Regarding the dampness detectors, where do you find them, Google?
__________________
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
homeless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: http://binged.it/1KdDqKO
Posts: 2,314
Blog Entries: 1
I had cat once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwho40 View Post
but is the damp rid safe around cats because i have two cats but they small enough to stick in a small space because i got my closet and on each side of my closet i have cubbys and three drawers each

She would piss on the wall! Always in the same spot......

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Bo Walker's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 240
Is the smell near the rear wheel? It could be water is coming up through the floor a little at a time. Check other places underneath the RV.
Is it possible a mouse got inside. They make everything stink.
__________________
Me & my Hun RVing for fun!
Bo Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
markwho40's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: south beach or
Posts: 111
Send a message via AIM to markwho40 Send a message via Yahoo to markwho40 Send a message via Skype™ to markwho40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Use an infrared moisture checker device. It sees behind walls and locates areas of moisture and helps identifying the source. Building inspectors use hand-held checkers all the time.

MO Fred
South Central Missouri.
so where do i bye one at
__________________
markwho40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 338
Where to buy an infrared device

Not sure where to buy an infrared moisture check device. My son-in-law is a building inspector for hire by real estate agents and he checked my house.... I have a couple issues that need attention. I also had him check our Barth RV.... and it was water tight. The one he used cost his company about $4000. Believe you should hire a building inspector... it may be much cheaper... or maybe you can find something online. Good Luck!

MO Fred
South Central Missouri
__________________

__________________
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rvs



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Link's to Older Manuals & Informational links "007" Vintage RV's 140 Yesterday 07:59 PM
Jayco White Hawk vs. Cruise RV's Shadow Cruiser vtwinmax Travel Trailer Discussion 14 08-11-2015 06:19 PM
so i guess people like this is why RVs get a bad name terry735001 MH-General Discussions & Problems 9 07-29-2013 07:35 PM
Looking @ a 07 Bounder, but first want to hear owner's "bad" experiences Jon Mopar Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 14 07-10-2013 11:29 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.