Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 04:52 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to markwho40 Send a message via Yahoo to markwho40 Send a message via Skype™ to markwho40
need to hear from others with older rvs

i have a 1996 36foot winnebago and i need to please here from others with about the same year or so and i have a musty damp smell in my closet area but no water leaks and the same musty smell under my couch to and i need to please here from others that have had same problem and smell and what you have did to get the non leak damp feel and musty smell please i really need to know from all asap thanks all
markwho40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I recently purchase used 2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD with same smell. Started sniffing around and these odor's were coming up from the chassis storage area's.

On a sunny day I took my steam cleaner and steam cleaned all the carpet in these area's. I was really surprised on how dirty the water was and how many times I had to go over the carpet to get it clean. A lot of work but guess what? No more musty odor coming up into the cabin!

Leave doors open and fan running on the carpet until COMPLETELY DRY before reloading.

Hope this helps.
Larry46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to markwho40 Send a message via Yahoo to markwho40 Send a message via Skype™ to markwho40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry46 View Post
I recently purchase used 2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD with same smell. Started sniffing around and these odor's were coming up from the chassis storage area's.

On a sunny day I took my steam cleaner and steam cleaned all the carpet in these area's. I was really surprised on how dirty the water was and how many times I had to go over the carpet to get it clean. A lot of work but guess what? No more musty odor coming up into the cabin!

Leave doors open and fan running on the carpet until COMPLETELY DRY before reloading.

Hope this helps.
my musty smells is in my closet and the bottom drawers next to closet and under my couch where i have storage and im trying to get rid of smell and i get like a cold dampness on my closet wall but no leaks
Old 11-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #4

Where is the couch relative to the closet? If they're side by side I would look harder for a leak or prior leak. You can have a small leak inside the wall from the roof, a window or electric plug, the wall sits on top of the floor and water keeps the area damp but not flooded. Does the closet have a false bottom that plumbing runs through? It could leak.

Or it could be from an old leak. Clean everything well with a strong antibacterial cleaner, including all the carpet under the couch, and see if it returns, or at least gets better.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Where is the couch relative to the closet? If they're side by side I would look harder for a leak or prior leak. You can have a small leak inside the wall from the roof, a window or electric plug, the wall sits on top of the floor and water keeps the area damp but not flooded. Does the closet have a false bottom that plumbing runs through? It could leak.

Or it could be from an old leak. Clean everything well with a strong antibacterial cleaner, including all the carpet under the couch, and see if it returns, or at least gets better.
in my closet closer to the floor is like a cold dampness where the wall closer to the floor is like cold wet but my carpet in the closet is never wet and the under nieth under below the closet on passenger side is my fresh water tank but i never see any leaks
Old 11-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #6

If it smells musty and feels cold and damp you've pretty much determined you have a water problem.

It's going to be hard to see a lot of leaks, especially small leaks, in a motor home, so much is buried or only partially visible because the way they have to be built. I've taken a piece of paper towel and really mashed it into the carpet for a few seconds to see if I can find dampness at times.

As the freshwater tank is so close that or the lines could be the problem. It might leak while you're filling, the vent line might be lose, a fitting could be loose, the tank could be cracked on the bottom even. Small leaks can be a pain, but don't forget any opening in the wall from the outside.

Water can migrate a long way. I did an Airstream one time where the water traveled 16 feet from a lag bolt someone had installed for an upper awning mount, along some 120 wiring, past the entrance door, hit a kink in the wiring by a window then dripped down to the floor. Be persistent and look at everything.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #7

You can buy Damp Rid and similar products at Wal Mart to absorb dampness. Then I would put out potpourri in small bowls or sachets made from old nylon stockings to gently refresh the air. I used the potpourri once directly on a damp towel to soak and refresh cat urine in a carpet. After sitting there a couple of weeks you could put your nose right to the carpet and not smell a thing.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
You can buy Damp Rid and similar products at Wal Mart to absorb dampness. Then I would put out potpourri in small bowls or sachets made from old nylon stockings to gently refresh the air. I used the potpourri once directly on a damp towel to soak and refresh cat urine in a carpet. After sitting there a couple of weeks you could put your nose right to the carpet and not smell a thing.
but is the damp rid safe around cats because i have two cats but they small enough to stick in a small space because i got my closet and on each side of my closet i have cubbys and three drawers each
Old 11-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #9

Use an infrared moisture checker device. It sees behind walls and locates areas of moisture and helps identifying the source. Building inspectors use hand-held checkers all the time.

MO Fred
South Central Missouri.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #10

Other than the cats wanting to play with the Damp Rid, I don't see how it could hurt the cats. Regarding the dampness detectors, where do you find them, Google?
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #11

I had cat once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwho40 View Post
but is the damp rid safe around cats because i have two cats but they small enough to stick in a small space because i got my closet and on each side of my closet i have cubbys and three drawers each

She would piss on the wall! Always in the same spot......

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #12

Is the smell near the rear wheel? It could be water is coming up through the floor a little at a time. Check other places underneath the RV.
Is it possible a mouse got inside. They make everything stink.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Use an infrared moisture checker device. It sees behind walls and locates areas of moisture and helps identifying the source. Building inspectors use hand-held checkers all the time.

MO Fred
South Central Missouri.
so where do i bye one at
Old 11-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #14

Where to buy an infrared device

Not sure where to buy an infrared moisture check device. My son-in-law is a building inspector for hire by real estate agents and he checked my house.... I have a couple issues that need attention. I also had him check our Barth RV.... and it was water tight. The one he used cost his company about $4000. Believe you should hire a building inspector... it may be much cheaper... or maybe you can find something online. Good Luck!

MO Fred
South Central Missouri
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs